Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring my own car?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I am working out whether it will be worth bringing my car when I set off for Oz.
    Does anybody have experience with this, as it appears that cars can be quite expensive in australia?
    What charges, duties, registration fees etc apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

brother brought his van with him when he went, he filled it up with a bust of stuff like tv's computers, bed clothes, cuttlery, saucepans and frying pans. stuff like that. think the general concensus was that it meant he could shipp over alot of large bulky and heavy items it was not really worth it and from what i gather he wouldn't do it again if he was moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is your car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

A lot of cars are crazy money out here, particularly quality European models like BMW or VW. Having said that, I still can't see it being good value to bring your own out as I'd imagine there would be heaps of taxes and charges incurred by the time you get it on the road, more than enough to offset the price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 my475visaquest

Looks like my mind is made up! Thanks for the replies:)

• Advertisement

just as a matter of interest, how did your 457 visa quest go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 my475visaquest

Its only just begun!:D I amactually changing my quest to a 175 visa haha. I can get the points if I pass my TRA assessment, which is where I am at now! Still lots of work to do but I have started the process.

Its only just begun!:D I amactually changing my quest to a 175 visa haha. I can get the points if I pass my TRA assessment, which is where I am at now! Still lots of work to do but I have started the process.

much better option imo. will cost you a few quid extra and take a bit longer, but you will have more flexability and comfort in australia with this visa.

Advertisement