Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel about this? Lecturer no help

Options
  • 21-10-2011 7:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

OK, I won't name the lecturer, or the College.
    The lecturer's notes are crap. I asked him to write me up a few sample questions on a sheet of what he expects us to be able to do by the end of this module. His response to that was "make your own sample question from books in the library".
    How the **** am I supposed to do that?? Books help you answer questions, and lecturers give you the questions to begin with. There are no past exam papers any more in the library because of cutbacks, they are all gone and there are even none available online, I am really scared about failing this module.
    OK, I don't expect the lecturer to tell me what's on the exam. But I heard in other colleges, the lecturer will give you a learning outcome sheet on which its printed what you should know by the end of the module, (ie, the exam will be made up from anything that we have covered).

All I want is for him to give me a page with a few sample questions on it! !!! I mean is that too much to ask ?? Are lecturers not happy about students being enthusiastic about work ?? If I did same in secondary school, the teachers would bend over back wards to help me.

I am really ****ing pissed off at this, it's just shocking.

I am not aksing my college lecturer to do my assignments for me, I am asking him to GIVE me work.

I even did what he told me to do and I did some work independently from a book, and he won't even look at it and tell me if I'm on the right track or not.

Am I expecting too much here ?? Any advice ?? (BTW my course co-ordinator and "year dean" are incompetent fools who don't give a ****.

So I'm fresh outta options here :( :mad: :(:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Can you not buy/ download the previous exam papers? Surely the subject has a syllabus which would have the learning outcomes on it.

Is it a hetac or fetac course. Im guessing hetac, in which case there must be some quality assurance procedures in place for students.

Name and shame....its your money they're jeoparadising here

Am I expecting too much here ??
    In a word, yes.
    I asked him to write me up a few sample questions on a sheet of what he expects us to be able to do by the end of this module.

in other colleges, the lecturer will give you a learning outcome sheet on which its printed what you should know by the end of the module

Are lecturers not happy about students being enthusiastic about work ??

I am asking him to GIVE me work.
    he won't even look at it and tell me if I'm on the right track or not.
    If I did same in secondary school, the teachers would bend over back wards to help me.
    I had a look at your past posts because I could tell from your issue that you must do science, and realised you posted a thread I replied to a little while ago, where you said you were in your third year. To be honest I'm surprised, as you seem to have a very leaving cert mentality (I don't mean that in a "your immature" way, just that you seem to expect a leaving cert type teacher/student dynamic). In the science field, lecturers are rarely just lecturers, they're usually scientists, running research projects and experiments, and lecturing is just something they're obliged to do in addition. Some lecturers rise to the occasion and really enjoy lecturing, answer questions by email on a daily basis, give sample questions, interact with students, ask how they're getting on - but this isn't because it's what's required of them, it's because they're really nice. Your lecturer is one of the ones that just does what's required of them, ie. write up lecture slides, give lectures, and then write some questions at the end of the year. Which is actually a great deal of work. What you're doing is asking this lecturer to DO more work, not just give you work. Same with correcting, you're asking him to do more work. How would you feel if he gave you an essay out of nowhere just because he wanted to know how he was doing at lecturing?

There are ~400 people in the science course I'm in; how on earth could a lecturer correct every question a student gives themself in their spare time? What if you were given 400 essays, because people wanted to know how they were doing?

You can't expect people to care in college. Some people do, and that's great, but it's your responsibility to look after yourself. You can't expect reward for wanting to learn, your reward is good grades. As for the learning outcomes sheet, I get one for every module and they don't mean anything at all, it's just a differently worded run down of what's in the module description/the titles of the lectures.

I agree that it's tough, and possibly not fair, and definitely damages your chance to be prepared for exams, but it's also not the lecturers responsibility. If anything, you're doing yourself damage by annoying the lecturer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

kob29 wrote: »
    Can you not buy/ download the previous exam papers? Surely the subject has a syllabus which would have the learning outcomes on it.

Is it a hetac or fetac course. Im guessing hetac, in which case there must be some quality assurance procedures in place for students.

Name and shame....its your money they're jeoparadising here

It's level 8

Advertisement