Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial VRT

Options
  • 21-10-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Evening folks,

I'm thinking of traveling up North or over to the UK to get an X5.

Then am going to get it converted to commercial use as only need & want two seats.

Take back seats out, tint windows etc to avail of the reduced VRT rate.

But am wondering if it will be classified as a category B or category C.

Big difference which will need to be factored into affordability :)

Cat B = 13.3%
    Cat C has gone up from €50 to €200.

Know they clamped down on this (as people were reconverting back) and there was a change in the budget, effective from Jan 2011, but ill be keeping it as commercial.

I cant find anything definitive online and hoping the boardies can help (before i even think about contacting revenue). Am hoping someone here has had a recent experience & can advise.

Something about it being commercial to start & not allowing conversions etc in Cat C, but its all third party info with no backup.

The obvious consequential advantage is the reduced motor tax as a commercial vehicle.

The other option I'm thinking of is getting a coupe (eg M3) & take the back seats out, tint the windows (proper conversion) & get hit with the 13.3% VRT, but avail of the reduced tax per year. Save money over its lifetime.

Thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Forget it. Any commercial imports now have to be factory conversions and under 3500kg they are 13.3% VRT

The rules were changed to stop the VRT avoidance and has made it dearer for those that actually need a small van.

Even before the latest rule changes, you'd have had to have to have destroyed the interior, weld up seat belt anchorages, put in flat floor, panel the rear windows etc.

You can still convert an Irish registered vehicle as VRT has already been paid, not so onerous as you only have to satisfy the DOE. You still need to prove to the motor tax office you are entitled to commercial motor tax or you've wrecked an X5 to no avail.

If you want a Beemer, pay through the nose like the rest of who want something half decent have to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭PabloIndentes

Thanks for the reply 101sean,

Just a thought & said I'd get the opinion of ye guys,

Prob a non runner - pity :)

Advertisement