Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shop on dublin rd beside Hospital

Options
  • 21-10-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

road cloased lost of cops ... any one know , think shop closed aswell ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

nope shop is still open. was up there few minutes ago. speaking to one of the staff. apparently an elderly man was knocked down by a motorbike just past the shop. not looking to good. whole road in as far as centre is closed off. poor things for all people involved

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Saw the road closed on my way home. Had seen two ambulances and two squad cars all with sirens in the few minutes before that, as I was coming home from the Tesco direction.

Can only hope everyone's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Yeah, got stuck in traffic at Duggan's when it happened. Everyone had to turn around.

Poor man, I hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 2K11

Heard a Rumour that a man has been killed in Mervue near Days Hotel? Not sure If true wondering If anyone can tell me more about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 2K11

Was it a murder up there? Sorry heard some rumours off friends or was it an accident?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sadly an elderly man was hit by a motorcyclist more info here; https://www.facebook.com/#!/GalwayAdvertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

RTE are reporting he died.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks Krieg, I'm adding link and text
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1022/rta.html
    A 73-year-old man has died in a road collision in Galway city.
    The man, a pedestrian, was seriously injured when he was struck by a motorcyclist on the Renmore Road in the city at around 6.30pm last night.
    He was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway where he died of his injuries later last night.
    RIP

RIP to the man that was killed. its so sad. poor thing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I blame lack of pedestrian crossing there. :(

It happened somewhere here right:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=galway+map&hl=en&ll=53.276127,-9.003219&spn=0.005588,0.016512&hnear=Galway,+County+Cathair+na+Gaillimhe&gl=ie&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.276127,-9.003219&panoid=QCNtu_99sVHJPRHSHkjeNQ&cbp=12,275.24,,0,11.39 ?

Busy road between shop and hospital and no pedestrain crossing. This is crazy. I have seen 100 times people running across the road there in front of my car too.
    That is just not right.

softmee . no it happened outside duggans shop in renmore. across from the carlton hotel. just there between bon secours hosp and duggans shop. but that spot outside merlin park is really dangerous aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

R.I.P

Would the bon secours hospital not be equipped to deal with a fatally injured person?

Just wondering why he was driven halfway across the city to UCHG when there was a hospital not 200 feet from the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No.

They wouldn't have the staff, equipment or drugs readily available that an A&E would have.

A&E medicine is a specialty in itself just as Orthapaedics, Surgery, Paediatrics, Oncology etc are. An A&E Registrar or Consultant spend years studying A&E medicine to get to the top just as a heart surgeon spends years getting to the top in that field.

And then there's the particular equipment, drugs that A&E's need. Bons Secours wouldn't be anywhere near equipped.

RIP to the man involved and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

R.I.P

Would the bon secours hospital not be equipped to deal with a fatally injured person?

Just wondering why he was driven halfway across the city to UCHG when there was a hospital not 200 feet from the scene.
    kraggy wrote: »
    No.

They wouldn't have the staff, equipment or drugs readily available that an A&E would have.

A&E medicine is a specialty in itself just as Orthapaedics, Surgery, Paediatrics, Oncology etc are. An A&E Registrar or Consultant spend years studying A&E medicine to get to the top just as a heart surgeon spends years getting to the top in that field.

And then there's the particular equipment, drugs that A&E's need. Bons Secours wouldn't be anywhere near equipped.

RIP to the man involved and condolences to his family.

I believe a nurse (maybe senior nurse) from the Bons went over and tried to assist the man, but a doctor on duty in the hospital refused to go after he was asked - not his job was the excuse I was told. My partner works in the hospital and was told this yesterday. If true its shameful - the man may not have survived anyway, but for a doctor to refuse to assist a critically injured person, the mind boggles... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Not that I agree in anyway with a doctor refusing to help someone but it is possible that it's an insurance / legal issue? i.e. if I'm a nurse and I'm in a restaurant and try to administer the heimlich maneuver to someone and they don't survive or are hurt in the process could I be in some way liable?

RIP to the man who lost his life, we should all spare a thought for the driver of the motorbike aswell, accidents can very easily happen and it is horrendous for all parties and families of those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Bon Secours is not afaik equipped to deal with emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You have to think too that say if a doctor runs out to help the man and he dies that it would be a massive case that couldn't possibly do anything but hinder his reputation. Also the possibilities for lawsuits are huge. It sounds awful I know and what happened was extremely unfortunate but in a way you can't blame the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

nuac wrote: »
    Bon Secours is not afaik equipped to deal with emergencies.

No, it's not. Really if he was injured that badly there would be no point bringing him to Bons at all, they don't have the facilities there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The bons (formerly Galvia) is a private hospital for non critical patients. It has no A&E. Any healthcare workers coming from the bons to help the person would have been acting as private citizens - bear that in mind please.

The blackrock clinic does have an A&E but AFAIK it's a minor injuries clinic and wouldn't have been suited to helping this person.

The only option was to take the person to the A&E at UCHG.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    The bons (formerly Galvia) is a private hospital for non critical patients. It has no A&E. Any healthcare workers coming from the bons to help the person would have been acting as private citizens - bear that in mind please.

The blackrock clinic does have an A&E but AFAIK it's a minor injuries clinic and wouldn't have been suited to helping this person.

The only option was to take the person to the A&E at UCHG.

+1

And even if an accident like that happens right beside a private hospital that does have both A&E facilities and qualified staff, there is the small question of who would pay if the person happens not to have health insurance.

Advertisement