Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the easiest way to permanently move to oz?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Im a 28 year old CAD Technician . I previously lived in OZ on a Working holiday visa so that options out . realistically I dont think Im going to get employer sponsporship . So im thinking of forking out e5500 for a 176 visa state sponsored visa . but then theres the chance of not finding any work there . would canada be a safer option for me ? any advice greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Marry an Australian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you can get a 176 you strictly don't have to work as a CAD technician you can work at what ever you want, plus having PR is gold as you would already have an advantage compared to someone seeking work with a WHV. Getting a job might take a few weeks but you would get something to keep you going until something in your field pops up.

You are going need a skills assessment plus state sponsorship so you can apply for a 176, first of check if CAD Tech is on the Skilled Occupation List.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Hi , Thanks for the reply .

Ya its on the skilled shortage list for WA NT and SA . I have being in contact with a immigration agent here who has advised I should get the 176 visa ,but no guarantees or refund if it doesnt go through. I have all the documents ready to go .Should I use an agent, is it worth the extra fees ?

I cant seem to find out anywhere ,would I be eligible for the dole there , just in case.Id hate to have to come home broke after six months if it didnt work out .
    Also could I do an adult apprenticeship / traineeship or is that for aussies only

You can do it yourself as the General Skilled Migration type of visa is more geared up to be DIY.

New arrivals don't get any benefits for 2 years, this is Australia not Ireland.

If you have PR you would be unlikely to to do the walk of shame, as already discussed if your average backpacker with a WHV can survive for a year or 2 then unless you are a complete numpty you should have no problem.

I think Ill use the agent , there doesnt seem to be alot in it pricewise . does anyone know?

If I were to be granted say SA SS, and then moved to NSW almost straight away would it effect my future chance of citizenship ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

rusheen wrote: »
    I think Ill use the agent , there doesnt seem to be alot in it pricewise . does anyone know?

If I were to be granted say SA SS, and then moved to NSW almost straight away would it effect my future chance of citizenship ?

I was looking at using visa first, they were charging an extra 2k!
    I read its only a moral obligation to stay in SA for example. Id say alot of people take off to other states after geting SS. Once you have it you are free to go, that doesnt say the rules wont change in the future though.
    Your best bet for info is www.pomsinoz.com and britishexpats.com
    Plenty of people going through the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I wouldnt use an agent If I was you. Your going to have to do all of the running around to get all of your documentation together anyway so why pay someone 2.5k to send in your documents??

I just applied for the 175 the other day.It is a long process getting all the documents together and I cant see how an agent would have made it any easier.

There are plenty of helpful people on this forum who can help you out.

That 2.5 k could be spent on a lot better things im sure...

Hi , ya I know what you mean . I have all the documents ready to go . The only advantage of using an agent is peace of mind . If I miss the slightest thing the visa could be rejected and non refundable .

Not sure its 2.5k ?

Why are you going with the 175 ? 176 is alot quicker and as previously posted here your not tied to one state .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

2. If you are nominated by a State or Territory government, you need to agree to:

remain in the State or Territory for a period of at least two years
    keep the State or Territory government informed of changes in address details before and after arrival
    be prepared to complete surveys and provide information as required.

That is not what it says on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Im on SS and when we rang immigration with our address they seemed surprised we rang at all and said we could go to any state we want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Really because I would have always thought it would impact our PR application later on. But maybe I am one of those over-cautious types.

If you are on the list for SA and not NSW, I would persume that SA need you more than NSW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Desal

"How much in total they quote you?for a 176 on immi.gov.au it comes in at $7070 approx e5300"

If you are serious about applying for a 176 visa you should read the small print on the immi.gov web page. The visa cost is $2960 only - 1st instalment is all you pay, unless you have Dependents 18 or over with less than functional english, then you pay the 2nd instalment which will bring it to $7070.

A visa agent will charge you about €2000 to apply for you but it is all possible on your own, if you miss something they will ask you for it, not throw your application out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ellaq wrote: »
    Really because I would have always thought it would impact our PR application later on. But maybe I am one of those over-cautious types.

If you are on the list for SA and not NSW, I would persume that SA need you more than NSW.

Yes SA would need you most on paper anyway but saying that if you look at the job sites there may be more jobs in your area of work in NSW for example. Wonder how the new system will work out in July 2012.

Well obviously id prefere to save e2000 by submitting the application myself if its really that straightforward .If theres anyone here who has applied for the 176 visa and done it themselves Id love to hear from them.

All my contacts etc are in NSW Id be alot more confident of finding work there . Than wasting time looking in SA .

Had a quick check of my emails and a particular company (donno if im allowed name them) were charging €2150 for acting as my visa agent.

Seemed a bit stupid especially when the chap told me I should have no problem getting a visa...:confused:

We went for the 175 instead of the 176 as we are in no rush to go to australia as we have a baby on the way and are not going anywhere until we have a lot of savings up so the 6-18 month wait isn't really an issue.

When I did my initial research I had read that the 175 was the best visa you could get so I checked my eligibility and when it looked like I could get it I just proceeded with it instead of looking into any other ones...

Well obviously id prefere to save e2000 by submitting the application myself if its really that straightforward .If theres anyone here who has applied for the 176 visa and done it themselves Id love to hear from them.

All my contacts etc are in NSW Id be alot more confident of finding work there . Than wasting time looking in SA .

Getting the documents together and certified is the hard part . The rest is just a case of following the check list that they provide and then scan in the documents and upload them.

Simples ...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

iam in the process of applying for a subclass 176, my brother is sponsoring me. it is very straightforward, a visa agent is only going to put on the form what you tell them, they are only going to include documents that you give them. so why bother give them money to do something that will be doing anyhow.
    its kinda foolproof tbh and very hard to make a mistake, just make sure you double check everything before you send it off.

Thanks for all the posts :D

Am i right in saying my first step is applying to vetassess for the skills assessment .Is it better to post documents , certs payslips etc or scan and upload ?

Then IELTS english exam , then SA SS , Then actual visa .

So total cost approx e3000 !

1, Skills assessment - Certified copies is the usual.
    2, IELTS
    3, State Sponsorship
    4, Apply for visa
    5, When asked supply Medical X-Rays & Police Certificates.

Did you allow for Medical & X-Rays in your e3000?

no i havent allowed for Medical & X-Rays . What would it be e300?

Either way a few days ago I was close to forking out an extra e2000 to an agent :D

Thanks for all posts , huge help .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why are you going with the 175 ? 176 is alot quicker and as previously posted here your not tied to one state .

The difference between the two is that you are tied to one state on the 176.
    Plus the 176 skills list is longer than the 175.

What occupation are you thinking of applying under. I don't remember seeing CAD Technician on the SOL.
    Edit: It's not on the list as far as I can see. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

I suppose he could be one of the following under schedule 1of SOL:
    Civil Engineering Draftsperson 312211
    Civil Engineering Technician 312212
    Electrical Engineering Draftsperson 312311
    Electrical Engineering Technician 312312

or
    under schedule 2 of SOL (if under 176)
    Architectural Draftsperson 312111

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Afraid not.
    An engineering technician has a ordinary qualification in that engineering field.

The Draftsperson occupations would need some sort of Civil, Electrical or Architectural qualification or training. A Cad qualification would not be enough to to carry out this work.

Maybe the assessment body won't be as practical about it but I certainly wouldn't consider its a given.
    Hoopefully the OP had some relevant training or experience that he didn't mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hydro 69.

I have a similar problem. Carpenter Joiner, aged 42 twenty five years experience no proper qualification papers and ten years running my own workshop and buisness. I have to get trade assement done. Two Agents are quoteing me e7000 and e9000 respectively. Also Im being told it will take 6 months by one and twelve monts by the other. Does anyone know what a relistic time frame is. What pees me off is that you pay the money and take your chances. Does anyone work on a no Foal no fee basis. Whats the incentive to tell me iv no chance. They dont give a monkeys. They will have my two grand plus before im told I failed.
    I was in the RDS at the working abroad show. After queing for an hour the Guy on the WA stand advised me to fly to Perth and start knocking on doors. Judgeing by the crowds that were there and awfull lot of doors will be knocked on by the time i get there. Whats the righht thing to do. :confused:

Hydro 69. wrote: »
    I have a similar problem. Carpenter Joiner, aged 42 twenty five years experience no proper qualification papers and ten years running my own workshop and buisness. I have to get trade assement done. Two Agents are quoteing me e7000 and e9000 respectively. Also Im being told it will take 6 months by one and twelve monts by the other. Does anyone know what a relistic time frame is. What pees me off is that you pay the money and take your chances. Does anyone work on a no Foal no fee basis. Whats the incentive to tell me iv no chance. They dont give a monkeys. They will have my two grand plus before im told I failed.
    I was in the RDS at the working abroad show. After queing for an hour the Guy on the WA stand advised me to fly to Perth and start knocking on doors. Judgeing by the crowds that were there and awfull lot of doors will be knocked on by the time i get there. Whats the righht thing to do. :confused:

Short answer is no

General skilled migration is geared up to be done yourself online, you strictly shouldn't need an agent. The problem is you don't have any papers so you cant get a skills assessment you need to obtain AQFIII qualification and assessment that's apparently about €2000 on its own. You then need IELTS €185, then you apply for state sponsorship. At this stage its probably taken you 6 months.

You are ready to apply for the visa itself €2234 so then you apply, no one knows how long it will take to process but its probably going be at least 6-12 months max. Your case officer will ask for you and your dependants to supply medical and X-Rays so its probably another €300+.

All the above can be done yourself, if you add an agent then you are adding €3-4K agent fees. You age doen't help as you are needing to scrape points left right & centre.

Knocking on doors is no magic answer either, even if you do find a sponsor more than likely its going have to be a 457 temporary visa and if you want to go permanent you still have to more or less go through the above.

The General Skills Migration is changing next year to Expression of Interest, basically means instead of just applying as above you will only be invited to apply after registering your interest in migrating. Sort of we will contact you if we want you basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hydro 69.

I appreciate the info Mandarake, sounds like you could set up as an agent yourself. Food for thought. By the sounds of the new changes, now is the time to apply .

Hydro 69. wrote: »
    I appreciate the info Mandarake, sounds like you could set up as an agent yourself. Food for thought. By the sounds of the new changes, now is the time to apply .

Nah not my game, i'm not trying to sell something.

People on here often bag agents because of the price, but they do have their uses.

Fair enough if you can do it yourself but when it comes to issues like health and criminal a good agent might be your only way forward, even for sponsorship its easy for the applicant at the visa end but the sponsoring employer end can be a bit of minefield. Its easy to say will save $2k by not using an agent but if the employer doesnt know what they are doing and they get rejected for nomination then there is not going be sponsorship period.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

1, Skills assessment - Certified copies is the usual.
    2, IELTS
    3, State Sponsorship
    4, Apply for visa
    5, When asked supply Medical X-Rays & Police Certificates.

Mandrake I have extracted the above information from one of your previous threads. Could you confirm if that is all that is required?

A friend who has never been to Australia before, but is a Structural Engineer with 9 yrs experience is looking to travel to Oz. However he is 38yrs old.

Any guidance and tips how one should apply for the permanent residency visa. Perhaps anyone could add to the list above.

Hard to say everyone's circumstances are different. Age, experience & qualifications will determine how many points you have. 65 is the pass mark.

If you are short of points then you probably need state sponsorship & IELTS, for state sponsorship you need your occupation to be on the SMP and IELTS 7.0 across the board.

If you are still short of points you would need superior IELTS which is 8.0 across the board.

All the information is on DIAC website, although it a bit of a minefield.

The process seems to be more geared up towards younger skilled people aged 28-32 as when you combine points for age and experience you require to scrounge less points.

eg.

Mr X is a 30 year old Engineer with a Bachelor degree in Mech Engineering, been working as a engineer since he graduated at 21 (9 years)

Age= 30 points
    Experience = 15
    Qualifications = 15

Mr Y is a 45 year old Engineer with a Masters in Mech Engineering been working as an engineer since he was 21. (24 years)

Age= 0
    Experience = 15
    Qualifications = 15

Mr X is already has twice the points of Mr Y even though the Mr Y has a Masters & over twice the experience.

Of course both are short of points but Mr X only needs IELTS 7.0 where as Mr Y requires IELTS 8.0 plus state sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

As requested from OP - Thread is closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement