Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a nice red wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see that O'Brien's have the fantastic Marques de Riscal Reserva
    2006 reduced to €14.99.

Going to pick up a couple of bottles on the way home...

http://www.obrienswine.ie/Spain//20648/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Baron de Ley - a Lovely Rioja

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Lidl (shock!!, horror!!!) have a Morellino di Scansano (Italian )at 8.99 at the mo...Nice once it gets a bit of air into it.

I am, as we speak, enjoying a 2005 Barolo from Lidl! very nice!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jacob's Creek Shiraz is absolutely beautiful.
    Shared a bottle with boyfriend the other night and we couldn't stop raving about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

fussyonion,
    sharing a bottle with the boyfriend, why not drink it. Not a lot for doin, have we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

katnook founders block cabernet
    woodstock shiraz cabernet
    both are excellent reds for <€20

Tesco Finest Barolo 2006 is reduced to €15 at the mo...buy 6 and get an extra 25% off, brings it to €11.25

Its actually from Giacomo Ascheri which is a well regrded producer and 2006 is regarded to be one of the finest years of the decade.

Very tannic at the moment so could be worth putting away for a few years..

Last night we enjoyed the tesco Finest Pinot Noir 2009, reduced to €10...
    Its from Sacred Hills winery and is lovely at the moment an may improve in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

headmaster wrote: »
    Try the €3-50 special from Lidll. I had it for a few people the other night, they all loved it and these people really fancy themselves as wine buffs, much like most of the Irish that I know. They wouldn't know a good wine from a bottle of psis. No they didn't see the bottles, that's about the only way these idiots can make out what they're slugging anyway.
    Would you mind not generalising about "the Irish"? If you find us so tiresome and repugnant perhaps you'd like to naff off somewhere else where our uncultured palates won't offend you so?
    To answer the OP, chateau meaume 2007, decent bordeaux, Should be under 15euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sorry for bumping this but could anyone recommend a decent French Red for around €15 to €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping this but could anyone recommend a decent French Red for around €15 to €20?

From any Wine Buff shop, "Johanna" is a 2001 Bordeaux made from 100 year old vines and is selling for €19.99 down from €39.70.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Recommending a nice wine to someone is like recommending a nice shirt to someone. There's no guarantee that you'll like it. It's about personal taste.

I think we all accept that here, it's certainly been said often enough. Any recommendation is given in that spirit. That's why I mentioned vintage and type.

http://www.thewinebuff.com/winePage.php?wine=170&type=Red&country=France&region=&price= Price >= 16 AND Price < 20.00&refer=2

Enjoying Tescos finest valpolicella ripasso 2009 tonight. A bargain at €7 even better if you buy 6, brings it to €5.25!!

Aerated into a decanter and tasting good!!

Will benefit from some bottle age I'd say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Tesco are doing a very nice saint emillion for 10 squid. Don't know all that much about wine but I know what I likes. A heavy, savory red, maybe a little acidic but what do you expect for a Tenner?

Tesco have their Finest barbera D'Asti 2008 on offer at €7.99 at the mo, very good value...needs air though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Has anyone tried the Lidl chateau la tour Du pin figeac 2007 for 22.99? Wouldn't mind trying it to see what all the fuss is about, but I suspect a poor year of a superior Appellation is worse than a good year from an inferior One.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

mikep wrote: »
    Tesco have their Finest barbera D'Asti 2008 on offer at €7.99 at the mo, very good value...needs air though.

Seems to be permanently on special offer... I bought it a few times then it completely changed - as if a new batch came in which was a totally different wine, and nowhere near as good as the original (which was good value at 7.99).

muckety wrote: »
    Seems to be permanently on special offer... I bought it a few times then it completely changed - as if a new batch came in which was a totally different wine, and nowhere near as good as the original (which was good value at 7.99).

Hi Muckety..Was it the '08 that you had??

• Advertisement

No one has benn having any red wines lately that they would like to recommend??

I've had lots and would love to recommend them but that would be advertising so I must enjoy them quietly to myself!

Without getting into specifics, I'm very impressed these days with a red from Navarra, the Basque region of Spain, which sells for €9.95 and tastes twice that. One customer told guests it was €35 and they all agreed it was worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Domaine de Bisconte from Langueduc, about €12/13. Excellent easy drinking red and as they say in the Co-operative ad, good with food.

Usually in the Nextdoor offies.

Domaine de Bisconte from Langueduc, about €12/13. Excellent easy drinking red and as they say in the Co-operative ad, good with food.

Usually in the Nextdoor offies.

Not to be pedantic but that's a Cotes de Roussillon rather than a Languedoc. Great value wines from that region alright but they need to be 5-6 years old to mellow out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but that's a Cotes de Roussillon rather than a Languedoc. Great value wines from that region alright but they need to be 5-6 years old to mellow out a bit.

Mea culpa. I have bought it in France for less than €4. I have the 07, 08 and 10 vintages here at home. I stand to be corrected but I can't see a wine at that price intended for laying down. The majority of French who buy in that price bracket will not be cellering. That said, it does soften with age but is perfectly drinkable off the cave shelf.

I stand to be corrected but I can't see a wine at that price intended for laying down.

I'm not suggesting laying down or cellaring but rather buying a 2005 or 2006. Up until last week I was selling a fantastic 2005 for €12.99 but it's all gone now! :(

You're absolutely right about the price bracket and storing and I'm glad you raised it. I was going to post in the other "wine cellar" thread sometime but... I don't think there's much point in buying an inexpensive, storing it for 5 years and expecting it to have become something magical. It may well have improved a little but why not pay a few euro more for an older wine in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

http://www.winesdirect.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=70&category_id=83&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=444

(Hope link works) L'Amourier - Minnervois 2009 - beautiful and at under 12 euro (for now) tastes as good as many twice the price.

On offer in Tesco at the mo for €9

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

chateauneuf du pape is 20 euro in superquinn at the moment it was 30 ,flys off the shelves

• Advertisement

You'd be better off with a good Vacqueyras than a poor Chateau Neuf.

Advertisement