Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless password?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

I just bought a wireless card off adverts,

Orinoco 80211A/B PCMCIA cards

It finds the network fine,
    but when i type in the password ( have eircom broad band)

I keep getting the message "the network password needs to be 104 bits or 40 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters

Is there a fix for this or did i buy a bad card or /?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its probably written on the underside of your Eircom modem

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

No the password under the box is 12 characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Connect with an ethernet cable and visit 192.168.1.254 and navigate to the wifi settings page to get the password.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From the card name it maybe that it is not fully compatible with the wireless g standard and might not be comfortable with a wpa network. Check and see if there is an actual model no anywhere on the card and google for the full spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^^
    Yep sounds like your Eircom router is setup for WPA security rather than WEP.

Plus that card cannot support WPA.

So either drop down your security to WEP or get another card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

eddhorse wrote: »
    ^^
    Yep sounds like your Eircom router is setup for WPA security rather than WEP.

Plus that card cannot support WPA.

So either drop down your security to WEP or get another card.

http://www.proxim.com/downloads/products/datasheets/WLAN/ORiNOCO-11bg-PC-Card/DS_0806_11b_gPCCard_A4HR.pdf Yup doesnt support WPA just change your router to WEP and your will be flying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you live in a built up area I wouldn't use wep particularly if you have a broadband cap. It could work out cheaper in the long run to buy a decent wireless card that supports wpa2.

FSL wrote: »
    If you live in a built up area I wouldn't use wep particularly if you have a broadband cap. It could work out cheaper in the long run to buy a decent wireless card that supports wpa2.

Prob the safest option, but the amount of people that are up to cracking wep is few and far between in some areas, you can just hide the SSID put a wep key on it and it will be as safe as houses

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Prob the safest option, but the amount of people that are up to cracking wep is few and far between in some areas, you can just hide the SSID put a wep key on it and it will be as safe as houses

And I suppose they haven't heard of search engines either. To tell someone that wep is as safe as houses is bordering on irresponsibility.

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    And I suppose they haven't heard of search engines either. To tell someone that wep is as safe as houses is bordering on irresponsibility.

Well I was answering the orrignal posters question his device only supports WEP and has spent his hard earned money on a device so its the best they can use at the moment

I dont use any security on my wireless network - Hide my SSID and use MAC address filtering with static IP addresses dont like the overheads security adds to wireless traffic

Advertisement