Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will pellet guns ever be made license-free in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

just iv seen very few hunting pellets in any rfd locally a few odd tins of eley wasp and stuff like that theres not half the choice there is in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

True - most airguns in Ireland, well most of the modern ones in the ROI anyway, are probably target ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I didn't even know you needed a licence for them. That means i have one illegally. I've a pistol thats is spring loaded and fires small metal bb's. i bought it in Wales back in 2004 or 05 in a gun shop.

Yup, fraid so. The Gardai crack down on those from time to time as well, people would bring them back from spain or wherever they were on their holidays.

Sparks wrote: »
    Yup, fraid so. The Gardai crack down on those from time to time as well, people would bring them back from spain or wherever they were on their holidays.

I think i will take my chances and not get a licence. I doubt they would take it too serious if they found you with one. Its just been left in the room for the past few years not even been used. Now i know you need a licence i will be more carefull about taking it out in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I think i will take my chances and not get a licence. I doubt they would take it too serious if they found you with one. Its just been left in the room for the past few years not even been used. Now i know you need a licence i will be more carefull about taking it out in public.

I reckon there are laods such guns in the country from people who brought them over completely oblivious to the amount of bureaucracy associated with them here.

/facepalm

(a) you just confessed to having one and knowing it's illegal on a public forum.
    (b) it's not worth it if you get caught.

Seriously, take it to the station, and either hand it it or apply for a licence for it.

/facepalm

(a) you just confessed to having one and knowing it's illegal on a public forum.
    (b) it's not worth it if you get caught.

Seriously, take it to the station, and either hand it it or apply for a licence for it.

I know you're a mod and are therefore supposed to take the moral/legal high ground but his chances of getting caught are almost nil.

Myself I know an 11 year old who has one. No license either, as well as several more people who have them without license. but I could be bluffing just like wotzgoingon might be, you just wouldn't be sure.

eth0 wrote: »
    I know you're a mod and are therefore supposed to take the moral/legal high ground but his chances of getting caught are almost nil.
    So's the odds of you winning the lotto, but people still play the thing all the time...

Besides which, for pete's sake, Rule 8.

So's the odds of you winning the lotto, but people still play the thing all the time...

Besides which, for pete's sake, Rule 8.

Ah that reminds me I forgot to buy a ticket

Too late now though I'd say :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bluffing or not there is to be no discussion of illegal activities on this or any forum. So any more "bravado" talk about not having a license for a firearm and/or not intending to get one will be removed.

Abide by the rules of the forum or refrain from using it.

First and only warning on the matter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Do you need a licence for the airsoft guns.
    My cousin brought back a pellet gun rifle from france a few years ago that fired the metal bb's and he never had a licence either but he sold it recently to a friend of his and i doubt his friend got a licence either.
    I still dont know why you need a licence for them in this country when you can buy them in most if not all other european countries.

A pellet gun with a muzzle velocity exceeding 328 feet per second or 1 joule of energy is classed as a firearm, and needs a license.

As for RIF (realistic imitation firearms) you must be over 16 to own one.

Airsoft forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

I can see why there would be issues licensing air pistols , Some of them look like real handguns and do indeed have the power to do serious damage as well as being easy to conceal and transport. I think they should be strict on ownership here and used if a member of a target club only. But an air rifle even though higher in power and alot bigger in size has alot of uses for vermin control and in many cases would be a lot safer than a .22lr

The nephew arrived down a few weeks ago with some sort of gas powered pellet gun for this army thing he takes part in . I think its called skirmishing or somethin. I tell you somethin.... If I had one of them pointed at me it would be impossible to tell it wasnt a real handgun, It was made of full metal and the slide moved on top. When you fired it the slide blows back and loads another pellet like the real deal. In fairness does it make more sense to legalise them type of guns where ANYBODY can get their hands on them .. or make the law more slack on firearms owners simply adding an air rifle to an existing certificate ? We have to prove over and over again that we have valid reason to own a firearm and that we are not insane , have photographs on file etc... I have a question , Is there any way that we as a shooting community can get together, petition or something that we have an adjustment to our laws? I think anyone that owns a gun has a story of how theyve been intimidated or given some cock and bull story by the Gardai and have been left waiting and waiting and waiting only to be told their application has been "lost" or "mislaid " .

Its 2011 and I think its time for a drastic change to these procedures. Reading different posts similar to this on boards in the past few days has got my blood boiling and I would like somebody to correct me if Im wrong but no matter when you log on there is ALWAYS somebody that has a recent post about hassle with a new or existing license. This should not be happening. The Gardai should be doing their job :mad: but yet why change the habit of a lifetime lads ?

So is there any way we could convince the government to change the law for pellet guns & paintball guns so the licensing process is not as difficult or expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

So is there any way we could convince the government to change the law for pellet guns & paintball guns so the licensing process is not as difficult or expensive?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

For the love of god,the bloody gun is illegal! Either licence it or get rid of it. It's people like you who cause legitimate shooters so much trouble so please sort it out or stop blathering on about it here! We have enough problems as it is without another person who won't heed the law we try so hard to stick to so we can enjoy out sport. Sorry mods if I'm talking out of turn but this is the kind of ****e that causes half of our problems!

Do you need a licence for the airsoft guns.
    My cousin brought back a pellet gun rifle from france a few years ago that fired the metal bb's and he never had a licence either but he sold it recently to a friend of his and i doubt his friend got a licence either.
    I still dont know why you need a licence for them in this country when you can buy them in most if not all other european countries.
    If it fired metal bb's, it wasn't airsoft (they use 6mm plastic balls - put a metal bb in one and it would barely get out of the barrel). So yes, it needs a licence. And if your mate's friend was under 16, he'd have been breaking the law with the sale even if it had been an airsoft (the law refers to both commercial and private sales).

............ to change the law for pellet guns & paintball guns so the licensing process ...............

What license issue for paintball guns?

MC.ISF wrote: »
    The nephew arrived down a few weeks ago with some sort of gas powered pellet gun for this army thing he takes part in . I think its called skirmishing or somethin. I tell you somethin.... If I had one of them pointed at me it would be impossible to tell it wasnt a real handgun
    And that's why he'd be done for assault in the same way as if he had actually pointed a real handgun at you (assuming you pressed charges, that is). Which is why a new law isn't necessary - the old one already brings the full weight of the law to bear, a new law wouldn't give you anything extra.

• Advertisement

Longranger wrote: »
    For the love of god,the bloody gun is illegal! Either licence it or get rid of it. It's people like you who cause legitimate shooters so much trouble so please sort it out or stop blathering in about it here! We have enough problems as it is without another person who won't heed the law we try so hard to stick to so we can enjoy out sport. Sorry mods if I'm talking out of tyrn but this is the kind of ****e that causes half of our problems!

Most of these guns were bought without license and brought over by people who don't know about such restrictions. and in fairness you don't see posters up at the airports saying "by the way, those pellet guns you can just pick up in other countries are illegal here"

Ezridax wrote: »
    Can.
    Of.
    Worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Most of these guns were bought without license and brought over by people who don't know about such restrictions. and in fairness you don't see posters up at the airports saying "by the way, those pellet guns you can just pick up in other countries are illegal here"
    now come on FFS! An imitation firearm is illegal in most countries so if you buy one you should consider that. If you pull one out in the states you might as well have your will in your pocket! Not so severe here but would you chance it? Sorry if I offended you mate but I'm just trying to save you a lot of hassle;)

No, but you do see those notices in the papers from time to time.
    I'm sure we've an example on here somewhere...

No, but you do see those notices in the papers from time to time.
    I'm sure we've an example on here somewhere...

Don't read papers which is probably why I've never seen one then

So which politician is in charge of this whole mess? Alan Shatter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ezridax wrote: »

2006 Firearms act

“firearm” means—

(b) an air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy,

_______
    do they produce over one joule muzzle energy?

Paintball gun was always something i taught would be cool to have for shooting targets

garv123 wrote: »
    do they produce over one joule muzzle energy?
    About 16 joules on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

About 16 joules on average.

Just a small bit over so :rolleyes: didnt think they were that strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Getting an Irish gun ownerr to sign a petition or write a letter of protest is like trying to drain the Shannon river with a soup ladle.!!:rolleyes:

For those who are new to this concept,may I suggest a serch thru boards shooting history posts for many colourful debates on various actions in the last decade on this topic.

After a infamous hatchet job done on shooting by RTE "Swine Time" a few years ago.There were literally FIVE letters of protest to RTE and to the broadcasting complaints comission .The five people who protested were all boards.ie shooting posters. Five people out of a shooting pouplation of give or take 200k!!!:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes: Says alot!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

garv123 - I thought the poster was refering to something in particular that i hadn't heard of.
    Can.
    Of.
    Worms.

Indeed.

Advertisement