Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a dog crate

• 21-10-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm just looking for a bit of advice on buying a crate for my miniature schnauzer puppy. Obviously I want it to do him when he's fully grown so would a size one be large enough for him? Have been looking on zooplus but theres so many I'm unsure on which to buy. Any sort of advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Shop around on Adverts.ie. Donedeal.ie or BuyandSell and you will see plenty of people selling these second hand at reasonable prices. We have used one for our dog and found them fantastic. He never once had an accident and was house trained very quickly. Your dog needs to be able to stand up in it and turn around so I would probably get a medium size one for your type of dog. You don't want it to be so big that they can do their business in one end and sleep far away in the other end of the crate! Our pup is six months now and we don't think we will use it for him much longer as we've tried him a couple of nights now in the plastic type bed with a cushioned insert and he loves it and sleeps in it all night and is completely happy. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I bought one ( two!) for my dog and it was the best investment ever. She loves it and goes to hide her treasures there, sneak off when she's tired, and trots off to bed at night into it with a big sigh. I decided to get a big one that she could use when she was full size too & this was never a problem. I hear now that you can buy dividers : or use something non edible or non dangerous as a divider like a bucket or wire mesh baking tray and enlarge it that way.
    I bought one for the car and one for the house. The car one I measured down to thelast millimetre butforgot that the back window sloped in slightly so it wouldn't fit!aaaah! Hence having two; one a few inches smaller!!! It turned out really well; I had been planning to move one crate from the house to the car for traveling/sleeping but this would have ended up a big messy disaster so two in fact worked out perfectly; no muddy seats, wet spongy smellycars etc.
    I bought mine in the Argos extra in blanchardstown; it folds totally flat so you can move it really easily and has a handle; for me the folding flat lightweight and handle has been essential as I need to fold my booth back to fit it and sometimes I need to move it in & out for shopping etc so I can fold it up in literally 30 seconds and move it like a ( very) big supersuze handybag!
    The base tray also comes outfit cleaning after all the mud so I'd recommend that too. Mine also both have two " entrances" on different sides; this comes in handy if you change ( or your dog makes you change) your mind about where to put it!!!
    The second one I got in a pet shop but beware!!! I had one ordered but when I went to pick it up it was so incredibly heavy I couldn't lift it alone so try and test that before you buy it too; I couldn't believe how a cage could be so impossibly heavy!!!!
    I looked at but didn't go for the plastic detatchable ones& think in the long run for me this was a good idea as fido like to chew and I think this might have ended badly for the plastic corners. Not to mention her knocking the top off as she insists on leading into the edges to snooze at a wierd angle.
    As mine grew I put bigger coushins ( ikea) into it and mats for the car cage and this worked a treat. Ikea stuff is cheep & washes we'll& the dog got the picture quick on which end to sleep in!!!
    Best money I ever spent!!!
    What did you call your schnauzer!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I bought one ( two!) for my dog and it was the best investment ever. She loves it and goes to hide her treasures there, sneak off when she's tired, and trots off to bed at night into it with a big sigh. I decided to get a big one that she could use when she was full size too & this was never a problem. I hear now that you can buy dividers : or use something non edible or non dangerous as a divider like a bucket or wire mesh baking tray and enlarge it that way.
    I bought one for the car and one for the house. The car one I measured down to thelast millimetre butforgot that the back window sloped in slightly so it wouldn't fit!aaaah! Hence having two; one a few inches smaller!!! It turned out really well; I had been planning to move one crate from the house to the car for traveling/sleeping but this would have ended up a big messy disaster so two in fact worked out perfectly; no muddy seats, wet spongy smellycars etc.
    I bought mine in the Argos extra in blanchardstown; it folds totally flat so you can move it really easily and has a handle; for me the folding flat lightweight and handle has been essential as I need to fold my booth back to fit it and sometimes I need to move it in & out for shopping etc so I can fold it up in literally 30 seconds and move it like a ( very) big supersuze handybag!
    The base tray also comes outfit cleaning after all the mud so I'd recommend that too. Mine also both have two " entrances" on different sides; this comes in handy if you change ( or your dog makes you change) your mind about where to put it!!!
    The second one I got in a pet shop but beware!!! I had one ordered but when I went to pick it up it was so incredibly heavy I couldn't lift it alone so try and test that before you buy it too; I couldn't believe how a cage could be so impossibly heavy!!!!
    I looked at but didn't go for the plastic detatchable ones& think in the long run for me this was a good idea as fido like to chew and I think this might have ended badly for the plastic corners. Not to mention her knocking the top off as she insists on leading into the edges to snooze at a wierd angle.
    As mine grew I put bigger coushins ( ikea) into it and mats for the car cage and this worked a treat. Ikea stuff is cheep & washes we'll& the dog got the picture quick on which end to sleep in!!!
    Best money I ever spent!!!
    What did you call your schnauzer!:)

Thanks so much for your advice:)
    Was looking at the ones in argos but they are quite pricey they seem to be similar to the ones on zooplus. I checked the buy and sell, done deal and adverts doesnt seem to be much going at the moment. I want to crate train him in a week or 2. I called him Chewie heres a pic of him :Dhttp://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314431_10150339417989947_713304946_8332731_239767743_n.jpg

He needs his eyebrows trimmed badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

This is the cheapest I have found online for crates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

This is the cheapest I have found online for crates.

Me too, great service. Next day delivery by nightline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Yep thats where we bought ours too, great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There are loads of crates on donedeal and adverts, i was onluy looking at them the other day.
    They are mad money in the likes of Argos or the pet shops so i really would avoid buying them there.

Are you sure you are looking in the right section?? Go to animals section on donedeal, then pet accessories and you will find plenty :) Always bargain with them too!!

Advertisement