Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk about bags.

Options
  • 21-10-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

I carry a lot of gear around with me daily...some days i can leave the house with 3-4 bags( no its not all preb gear but it does contain some). I know there are the A.L.I.C.E systems but there a bit too military for me...ideally id like a canvas back with a frame for support...

options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

What ya using it for? and why have you got so many????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

What ya using it for? and why have you got so many????:eek:

its a combination of my job and my training...id leave the house in the morning with work stuff....food for the day..and sometimes 2x a day training...id like a decent bag where i could combine the other bags and add a first aid kit and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I use a 100lt Bergen short it is a military bag but can be got in black and doesnt look too military and it holds a lot of weight the side pouches are removable and can be used as a 20lt day sack if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Maxpedition gear is extremely well made and definitely worth a look. It is expensive, but it is so for a reason. I use a condor II daily and it is the most versatile bag I have ever had.

Have a google and see why you think. They do a wide range of products and you won't find a bad review anywhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Old fashioned I know, but I've had one of these for donkey's years and absolutely nothing will beat it for comfort. Can't remember where I got it. The only down side is that it isn't rain proof, but maybe a bit of wax could sort that out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmTrGXT6WOJVedMbpi_8X3edJ8Xex21ovhwz8xQ2iBTaVynrbTGA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭the monk5845

I was looking a bags on ebay for myself and came across this that might be what your looking for, though it is a military type bag, it has the ability to go from a rucksack to a larger bag

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Voodoo-Tactical-REAPER-MOLLE-Large-Assault-Backpack-Tan-/230685568676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b5ee6ea4#ht_2307wt_1270

thanks lads...both very good options...ill be looking into both later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Have a look at the British Army Rucksack "Other Arms". Its different from the typical infantry bergan's in that its designed to be used in vehicles but can be carried on your shoulders and has the same side pouches that make a smaller backpack.

The differences from the infantry bergan is:
    Its rectangular and smaller
    The whole front opens giving full access to items without playing lucky dip (infantry only top opening)
    Has grab handles on top
    The shoulder straps can be hidden behind a securable flap
    Very much cheaper

I use one as my "grab bag".

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/details1.asp/ProductID/225/army-surplus-british-other-arms-rucksack.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

http://www.blacks.co.uk/rucksacks/ramblesacks/product/103494/kodiak-30-ramblesack.html?attribute=171110

Ramblepacks are larger than daypacks but not as big as ruckstacks. Or try the holdalls.

• Advertisement

Hibrion wrote: »
    Maxpedition gear is extremely well made and definitely worth a look. It is expensive, but it is so for a reason. I use a condor II daily and it is the most versatile bag I have ever had.

Have a google and see why you think. They do a wide range of products and you won't find a bad review anywhere.

This looks to be the best choice.
    Can these be bought locally?

Does anyone have a pic of someone wearing one ?

edit: just seen the pic on the site...looks fine

I may be using this on a motorbike.

This looks to be the best choice.
    Can these be bought locally?

Does anyone have a pic of someone wearing one ?

I may be using this on a motorbike.
    I use a lot of maxpedition pouches and bags they are great I buy from eBay and you can check reviews on you tube

It will depend on which one you are going with as to whether it is suitable for a bike.

I've worn my condor II while out on the harley and it is very comfortable. It has adjustable chest and waist straps and more compression straps than you'll ever need. SO it's not going anywhere.

Have a look at the maxpedition website for pics of someone wearing the bags. Bear in mind that they tend to use models that are a bit on the small size so the will look smaller on someone of normal frame.

To give you an idea: I'm 6' 2" and my condor II looks a bit bigger than a standard "school bag" style jan sport or the like.
    You will get measurements on line too. With all their models there is bound to be one that will suit you.

You can order them off ebay or try this company:

http://www.heinnie.com/

They are in the UK and very good to deal with. There prices can be 5 or ten quid above somewhere else but the service is second to none.

Excellent thanks lads

was looking at this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Maxpedition-CONDOR-II-Backpack-BLACK-/200668079364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8bfe504#shId

Hibrion will check out that link now.

Same bag as mine. You will get hit with tax from the US on something that price, unfortunately. And the new "government handling fee" will also get stuck on there.

Better if you can find someone in Europe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ideally id like a canvas back with a frame for support...

I know this isn't what you hand in mind, but that description brought this bag to mind

14492438.jpg

utstyr.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/Load-Bearing/Rucksacks/Unissued-Norwegian-Army-Vintage-Canvas-Rucksack/prod_1395.html

(not my pics BTW)

Same bag as mine. You will get hit with tax from the US on something that price, unfortunately. And the new "government handling fee" will also get stuck on there.

Better if you can find someone in Europe.

Cool...thats good advice!

Right im def going to go with the condor 2 just need to locate me some small pull string bags as well to separate stuff internally as well.

Pick up a few light dry bags in TK Max

Do they always have them in stock! one next to the hotel im in at the minute!!

• Advertisement

Any time I've been in they usually do. You often find good deals on outdoor goods in there.

excellent

Thanks again everyone for the advice...

Ill post up some pics of the finished product

just a quick update on this...

i didnt end up going for the maxpedition. Not having the ability to see it in person bothered me. I did however go for the north face overhall 4.0. Does the job perfect. Padded laptop compartment. 40 litre internal capacity. Fits one set of training gear,shoes and food. I picked up some dry bags so i can separate everything and swap from my training gear to the jujitsu gear quickly.

front pocket has pleant of space for my leatherman and other day to day survival bits.

compartment at the bottom is perfect for storing power supplies and assorted cables.

Back support and plenty of straps for securing for use on a bike.

its designed as a carry on bag so meets the requirements for airlines as well.

Ill see how it goes and write a proper review after a couple of weeks.

and last but not least a bike shout to the people at www.greatoutdoors.ie who didnt flinch once when i told them my requirements from a bag :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maxpedition are great but kinda pricey, LAPG has a great selection of bags, their Tabout bag is great value at $20 not sure about postage costs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cant recommend maxpedition enough.Got a Fatboy LH recently ,and have to say it is the job for airline travel these days.

Could also have a look at www.hazard4.com evacuation seris of bags.
    Am looking for somthing that can be a discreet EDC,but big enough to hold a basic kit as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Interesting bags. I've a few countycomm.com bags which I quite like. Though I don't remember what put me onto them. They only ship to US though.

Interesting bags. I've a few county-comm.com bags which I quite like. Though I don't remember what put me onto them. They only ship to US though.
    If you check out ebay you can get the items from county-comm Ive done so in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

The north face Base camp is excellent can be gotten in a range of prices, sizes and colours and doesnt look military but has similar standards an excellent bag with two carry options and waterproof.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQct1xvIeQDs3ZTm3WxcICIPedQISOc9bqiS0UJLVdt5eIiQoGx8g

I have a couple of bags i use. for daily use, gym gear and some items i always have with me i have this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX0M-XE1hcogjolGWEAVl5UlEe2hs4IrN7Zeg1bPv4L5VHLw19 great bag but a little too small hope to upgrade to a recon its a bit bigger

for hitting the hills i have a bergen but also have a lowe alpine world traveller bath brilliant bags

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Cant recommend maxpedition enough.Got a Fatboy LH recently ,and have to say it is the job for airline travel these days.

Could also have a look at www.hazard4.com evacuation seris of bags.
    Am looking for somthing that can be a discreet EDC,but big enough to hold a basic kit as well.

How do you find the Fatboy? SWMBO is asking me for ideas for a christmas present, eyeing up a jumbo at the moment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Its quite a bag,carries just about everything I need in one go when I'm travelling.I'm not that much of a electronic gadjet man,so I cant tell you wether you can get a laptop or pda or whatever in there.But it is good enough to carry my bits and bobs no problem.Reckon with a bit of patience and practise you could get a 48 hr BOB into one.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement