Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you choosing your course?

• 21-10-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do in Uni like everyone else but I'm still completely undecided. Although I've some ideas I'm still trying to work out what really is the best choice.

So what are the most important factors in your choice of course/career?

Most important in a career 120 votes

High Pay
    0%
    Good working hours/ Holidays
    15%
    degausserxoalmostneversmorgan96EathrinJust Like HeavenGlee_GGImpossibleDuckMeglamoniaZhaveymcgarry098._.leavingcert.0megayeahhhbuddyWesc.Closet MonkeyAh Here!smurphy11cheaps123 19 votes
    Genuine interest
    5%
    degausserxoEathrinZhaveyPictureFrameMauraTheThirdleavingcert.Manic2 7 votes
    Self actualisation
    45%
    degausserxoLeftyflipIndubitableswiftbladeBonavoxicedteaalmostneverSlow ShowXxMCRxBabyxXsmorgan96EathrinmousiSuperbusJust Like HeavenGlee_GGMr. Ragerbrian93Orange juiceBoeing777mulciber 55 votes
    Enjoyable work
    10%
    almostneverEathrinJust Like HeavenMr. RagerBoeing777mulciberZhaveyRandom_Personleavingcert.yeahhhbuddyAh Here!SureYWouldntYa 12 votes
    Other
    22%
    degausserxoLeftyflipIndubitableLunoicedteaalmostneverSlow ShowXxMCRxBabyxXsmorgan96EathrinJust Like HeavenGlee_GGMr. RagerBoeing777mulciberJoey.ZhaveyPictureFramemcgarry098maughantourig 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Self actualisation
    Genuine interst in the area and High pay at the end of the day is important to me.Working hours isn't that important once they're not ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Other
    It really is very hard for me! When I think of high pay, I think of 6 1/2 day weeks. When I think of doing something very interesting with good hours, well I can just imagine getting paid measly amounts. It's very hard for me not to tick a box :pac:

Other
    Is anyone else actually having this dilemma? I mean the poll clearly indicates that genuine is peoples no.1 factor but choosing the course that interests me most may not satisfy my other desires in the long run i.e. High pay and good working hours with a view to fulfilling my future yet unknown ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Other
    In my point of view, every single career has a position which gets a high pay. So the high pay criteria for the career didn't really matter to me. What I mean is, for example, you are interested in being an engineer, you could be a sort of supervisor or that fella who points out what other people should do. That gets paid well alright. Even in business, there's somebody who's just using a calculator which gets paid quite small, and there's somebody who just basically sits down, signs a lot of papers, double checks if they're signed, then eats lunch and get paid quite a lot. Back to my point, every career has a good well paid sector. So it's best to just pick the one you're interested in and do really well in it to get paid well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Self actualisation
    to me interest is the most important thing
    id happily do most jobs

• Advertisement

Other
    I think it's safe to say that people receiving employment after graduating should be a factor here too! Only just occurred to me.

Advertisement