Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once off charge to use custom avatars.

Options
  • 21-10-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

I subscribed a month ago to change my user name and to be able to use custom avatars. Once the subscription ran out my avatar disappeared.

I think if someone pays a fiver to be able to put it up it should stay up. I think its fine that you cant change it once your subscription runs out but I think once off payments to "upgrade" your account could be better than having to subscribe in that regard.

Other than changing my name and using a custom avatar I personally had not other reason for subscribing in the first place. So I'm not going to pay each month to use a custom avatar as its the only thing I'd get out of subscribing, meaning the bit of personalisation of the account I had is now gone.

Other people may pay the subscription to reap all the benefits of it but a lot of people wouldnt get as much out of a subscription service but may pay a once off payment to avail of the opportunity to personalise the account a bit.

To summarise, if my name remains the same because I paid for it to be changed why not my avatar and would it make sense to have it as a once off payment rather than including it in the subscription ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There was a suggestion a while back that there should be a once off charge for having a custom avatar or changing your username etc, which I think is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You are not your avatar.

If you take away all the perks for people to become subscribers what advantage is there to becoming a subscriber?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Orion wrote: »
    You are not your avatar.

If you take away all the perks for people to become subscribers what advantage is there to becoming a subscriber?

How many more people would pay a once off fee to change their avatar as opposed to paying €5 per month just to do so? It's not about taking the perks of subscribing away, it's about offering people the individual perks without all of the others that come with subscribing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You can subscribe for one month for a fiver and get 29-31 days of change of mind. I could see any system that requires a payment per change getting bogged down in admin approvals for changes of mind, or unhappy people being asked to pay again because they decided after a few days that they didn't like the new one afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How much more would you be willing to pay as a once-off fee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

You can subscribe for one month for a fiver and get 29-31 days of change of mind. I could see any system that requires a payment per change getting bogged down in admin approvals for changes of mind, or unhappy people being asked to pay again because they decided after a few days that they didn't like the new one afterall.

But why after the 31 days do you not only lose the option but lose the changes and if you only have use for that option would you pay for the subscription? I wouldnt, I just paid because I wanted to change my name as well as change the avatar. On its own I wouldnt pay €5 for 31 days of a custom avatar.

There wouldnt need to be any other system just changing it to not revoke the changing avatar rights after the first subscription runs out is all that needs doing.

Malice wrote: »
    How much more would you be willing to pay as a once-off fee?

I wouldnt be willing to pay any more than is charged in the subscription.

I like what came with the subscription but I'm not going to pay each month for an avatar when thats all that I really use from it.

So with me you have a user who has paid for and seen the subscription service, likes a part of it but wouldnt consider €5 a month justifiable for the bit I would use. €5 to buy the account upgrade I'd pay for. If I didnt want to change my user name I'd never have paid the subscription to start with.

I'd image there's a bit of money made from people simply wanting to change their names. So I'd imagine there'd be a bit of money to be made by people who just want custom avatars.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I thought you got to keep your avatar, shame that you can't imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gordon wrote: »
    So did I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I've often thought of subscribing so I could change my avatar, I did actually think it would have stayed when my subscription was done. Strange that it doesn't really, but I suppose it's an incentive to keep subscribing... Custom avatar crack cocaine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Before becoming a mod, I subscribed once and kept my custom avatar for years afterwards. So that was my understanding as well. It seems it doesn't work for some people though. I'm not sure, but I think it might have to do with choosing a URL for your avatar instead of uploading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm going to have a look at this, I thought that your Avatar remained too (and I think it should tbh), so leave it with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Dav wrote: »
    I'm going to have a look at this, I thought that your Avatar remained too (and I think it should tbh), so leave it with me...

Cheers. I subbed there a few months ago too and had a name change with an avatar.... I lost my avatar too when the sub ran out.

Did you upload your avatar or copy a web URL for it?

I uploaded mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mine was a Url too, I think. What's more it appears on the touch site beside my profile but not in other places. It's always been the case that you lose your avatar once your subscription runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Did you upload your avatar or copy a web URL for it?

I think I URL'd it from wthax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It's always been the case that you lose your avatar once your subscription runs out.

No, you used to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No, you used to keep it.
    Nuh uh. I demand proof!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Some accounts have a checkbox set that lets them keep their custom avatars, some don't. I think it only ever depending on the time you signed up and whether that particular custom setting for new user creation made it through each successive vBulletin upgrade.

The intention was always (to my recollection) that custom avatars be kept, but it was so low priority that no constraints or checks to enforce it were ever built into the system, so occasionally this happens, someone flips the switch, and the problem goes away for another year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Any update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Nuh uh. I demand proof!
    *deploys proof*

• Registered Users Posts: 83,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Happened to me too. I was subbed when I was modded and the avatar never left. Can't recall if that was before or after Christmas though, about the only time I change it. Could be such a glitch to do with changing user groups. A sexy glitch. A sexy glitch that shouldn't be unglitched.But mine is also URL if I recall right

Any update on this perchance ?

This isn't high on the priorities list I'm afraid, but it *is* on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Show us this list we hear so much about......

It's something like this:
    long_list.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Aww, I can't make out the writing on it.:confused:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's something like this:
    long_list.png
    It's not a real list unless you got it from a dot matrix printer.

Advertisement