Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balance between homework AND study?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So far this year I'm finding it really difficult to balance the two. I get home usually around 4 and I do hw from about 5-9. On top of this, all my teachers expect students to do about an hours study every night. There is NO way I am working until 10... students have lives too!

Any tips??? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Stick with it untill the mocks then prioritise the study over homework.

The teachers are ignorant to the fact we have other subjects to be doing homework in and studying for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

So far this year I'm finding it really difficult to balance the two. I get home usually around 4 and I do hw from about 5-9. On top of this, all my teachers expect students to do about an hours study every night. There is NO way I am working until 10... students have lives too!

Any tips??? :eek:

They're one in the same. You should study a subject/topic and then do your homework in it. Viz the life thing: you have to make sacrifices if you want to get top marks. If that means working until 10 that's what it takes

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Id priortise homework during the week because your learning things for only the second time,first time being in class.Where as study is revision of topic already covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If you are spending 4 hours doing homework but your teachers expect you to do study to, then you are taking too long to do your homework. Speed up, maybe you're wasting a lot of time looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 freakybeaky108

That's fair enough... I am a bit of a ditherer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

TBH homework and study are pretty much on in the same - if they said revise for an hour a night, that would be different. Do the homework as you are given it, especially if you are covering something new that you did in class. You will find that once you get many of the courses finished, then there will be a lot less homework (written) and more time for revision, which would be study. The priority atm for the teachers is to get the courses finished in time for the mocks, after that it will be practise of exam papers and revising the course

Learn as you go along - say for example, you do business and got two exam questions to do for homework, spend the time doing these well, and ten mins at the end learning the main points in your answer. Or if you have learning homework, then take time to do it well, so that when you come to revise it, you are revising it rather than learning it again. Its not like you have to do your homework and then an hour on top of it - mix written homework with learning, homework and study.

Have a plan when you go home, so that you can finish at 9 and have the rest (of what is left) of the night to yourself to relax. If you find yourself dithering with written homework, take a break or go for a few minutes or look at some learning homework

Advertisement