Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door imposter posing as Sky salesman, with a twist

Options
  • 21-10-2011 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

I live near Swords and earlier this evening had a guy call at the door trying to sell Sky as a package to replace my analogue system.

The sinister bit was that he was insistent that he come into the house so as he could see what channels I currently had.

At this point I asked for ID which he said he had left in the car.

I asked him to go get it and come back, that was 4 hrs ago....

ps he was wearing a jacket with what looked like the sky logo, a dime a dozen in Mumbai I would think

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Step outside look up and down the road with a weird grin on....tell him its in the basement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Dublin County North

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

this happened me 2 weeks ago. A guy asked me would I be interested in a sky package and I said no I get a very good deal with upc so he then said can he come in and have a look at what channels I am getting on upc and the minute he said that I told him do you honestly think i'm going to let you a stranger into my house, I laughed and said on yer bike boyo and don't come back again.

never let anyone like this into your home period. end of.

Edit: also I wish the older folk would use the Internet a bit more as they should be aware of this forcefulness of some of these so-called sky sales people trying to enter their house. some old folk will give in and allow them in and then be brainwashed into the swap-over unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

A friend of mine was selling Sky door to door there a while back and they were told to get into the house to check the current channels and connections.

Then they would start their spiel about why Sky was better etc. If in doubt, always ask for ID. Any reputable seller (at least with a sales company) will carry ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

LisaLee wrote: »
    A friend of mine was selling Sky door to door there a while back and they were told to get into the house to check the current channels and connections.

Then they would start their spiel about why Sky was better etc. If in doubt, always ask for ID. Any reputable seller (at least with a sales company) will carry ID.

why would a sky sales person want to get into the house to check the current channels and connections when sky are not installed in such homes ? this is a nasty tactic from sky and I would advice strongly against letting any of them into your home, I have already stated this. ID or no ID.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

LisaLee wrote: »

Not much use asking for ID - It would be trivial to do-up a mockya one .

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

zenno wrote: »
    why would a sky sales person want to get into the house to check the current channels and connections when sky are not installed in such homes ? this is a nasty tactic from sky and I would advice strongly against letting any of them into your home, I have already stated this. ID or no ID.
    Its to try and upgrade you onto a more expensive package, multi room etc. Apparently it's easier to sell something to someone when you're in their house, that's what the reps are told during training anyway.

@Parsi, I agree. But if in doubt, ring Sky or just don't let them cross the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well that's a downer. We had one of these lads round, first thing I said to him was look, we pay you guys €106 a month, don't even try sell me anything else.

Anyway the lad kept me chatting - or possibly the other way round - and I asked him out of curiosity about the price of a new HD box. As part of the coversation I basically told him there were two full HD flatscreens in the house. Never once asked to come in however and there would have been ample excuse with me enquiring about new boxes. He did, however, quote different prices and different price rules to a rather rude man in the Pavilions SC the other day who was at the sky stand, when asked the same questions.

Now, to hide this information from my parents and nail the TVs to the floor. For what it's worth, this guy was 5'10-6'0 with a Northern accent and a bright blue jacket with the Sky logo. There was an indian lad in tow behind him who said almost nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Fella from sky knocked into the parentals house a while ago. Mammy said "no thanks with yous already", went to close the door. The ****er stuck is foot in the door!!
    Thank god my dad was there (and yer man legged it!)

sarahbro wrote: »
    Fella from sky knocked into the parentals house a while ago. Mammy said "no thanks with yous already", went to close the door. The ****er stuck is foot in the door!!
    Thank god my dad was there (and yer man legged it!)

God the nerve!! That's why I never opened the door when I was home alone, just opened the upstairs window and shouted down to find out what they wanted! Great way of not having to deal with salesmen/women, canvassing and religious folks too! Just a "Nah, thanks anyway" and shut the window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Riiiiight.....

I had a knock at the door in my parents from "Sky" last week.

He asked for "the lady who lives here" I asked why and he said "because she is the person we need to speak too"

Funnily enough, the SKY account never left my name when I moved out (more hassle than it was worth)

I blocked him on every single point he tried to make and then he reverted to asking for my mother.

He ended the whole thing telling me I should buy a HD TV for my parents as two CRT TV's was a bad idea.....

I told him he should pi$$ off while he had the chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone let the gardai know? this is worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Just reading this now, mam was in bed today , but talking to me on the phone,She heard a noise downstairs and it was a sky salesman, in the porch.He just opened the door and walked in.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

cathy01 wrote: »
    Just reading this now, mam was in bed today , but talking to me on the phone,She heard a noise downstairs and it was a sky salesman, in the porch.He just opened the door and walked in.:eek:

I have a porch and always keep it locked but I have seen guys selling trying to open porch doors.
    Always keep them locked is my motto.
    As another poster asked did anyone report this to the Guards as they really should be made aware of it.
    And ring sky and complain about ott salesmen

Advertisement