Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etihad or Emirates

Options
  • 21-10-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to Oz in April for a month and I'm wondering which is he better Airline. Both tickets cost around €880 return. I have flown to oz before with singapore airlines but they are more expensive than either emirates or etihad and theres only one stop with emirates or etihad. Which would you recommend I fly with?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

woodzie wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to Oz in April for a month and I'm wondering which is he better Airline. Both tickets cost around €880 return. I have flown to oz before with singapore airlines but they are more expensive than either emirates or etihad and theres only one stop with emirates or etihad. Which would you recommend I fly with?

Thanks

Are Emirates flying from Dublin already yeah? Well I've only ever flown to Oz once, and that was with Etihad. Very good service, although I've heard from a mate in the know that standards have slipped lately. But when I flew in 2010 the service was excellent - plenty of food and drink and they give you complementary towels, toothpaste/toothbrush, etc. Also plenty of water during the flight. As I said though this seems to have been pared back lately. Would expect it to perhaps reappear with the competition Emirates will provide though!

So in short, not sure - maybe someone can comment on Emirates. Prob much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

No emirates starting flights from Dublin in early January but you can book flights now if you want.

I heard etihad was excellent but I would like to try the emirates a380 from Dubai to Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

My only experience of flying to Australia was with Emerates so can't compare them to others, but have to say my experience was good. Flew from Manchester btw.

Great selection of entertainment... loads of films and games. Big comfy seats on the airbus. Changed to a smaller plane at Dubai with slightly smaller seats though. You can get a drink any time you want it. And the 30kg baggage allowance is good too! Food not so good but is it ever?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have flown with Eithad a few times and they are grand, the last time I had 3 seats to myself so that was sweet (and pretty lucky)

I was looking at both airlines for flying (return) home next year, although price were give or take $100, comfort I would give it to Emirates (I have flown with them 3 times)
    but the big factor for me was the stop over
    The dates I was looking at had a 5 hr stop over (Emirates) Vs 2 (Eithad) which would be a massive difference to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Just flew home with Etihad last Wednesday. It was my third time flying with them and I have no complaints at all. As others have said good service and plenty of good entertainment too. The fact they flew to Dublin made the difference for me though, so when emirates start the Dublin service I would be interested in giving them a go just to compare. Also on the leg from Abu Dhabi to Dublin last week i had four seats to myself, man I love quiet flights :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

woodzie wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

i myself am going to NZ for three weeks early in the new year , ive been researching the various airlines at skytrax.com , ethihad gets excellent reviews all around and apart from that , they are much cheaper with flights to australia than all the major airlines , however , here is my issue with ethihad , personally i would like to break up the epic trip to oz - nz by making a stopover for a day at the half way point , ethihad stop in abu dhabi which is only seven hours from dublin , you then take a gigantic fourteen hour flight to sydney so even you were to spend a day in abu dhabi , you would only be taking a break a third of the way there , for those who feel they they dont need to break up the journey however , id see no reason whatsover not to go with ethihad , thier a very new airline are are supposed to be top of the league when it comes to thier inflight entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

The most important thing if your flying dec or jan is are you going to get out of Dublin with the snow ? I'm trying to go the first week of Jan and was considering LHR to Brisbane but Eithad seems the best chance as I don't was to fly in to the UK and get stranded there. At least if your going out of Dublin and theirs delays u still have the option of going home and waiting to be called to come back for your flight instead sleeping in a UK airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Spunk84 wrote: »
    The most important thing if your flying dec or jan is are you going to get out of Dublin with the snow ? I'm trying to go the first week of Jan and was considering LHR to Brisbane but Eithad seems the best chance as I don't was to fly in to the UK and get stranded there. At least if your going out of Dublin and theirs delays u still have the option of going home and waiting to be called to come back for your flight instead sleeping in a UK airport.

Hmm don't know if I'd base your plans on that...you don't know for sure that the snow is going to be that bad again this year...then again you could be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I have been told that emirates are the best out there, i was looking at Dub>Dubai>Brisbane in Feb €907 return

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Etihad are good enough, I have never flown Emirates myself but might fly them next year although most likely from Heathrow as living in Kerry it is quicker to fly to Heathrow and connect there than taking the snail train to Dublin. Equipment is a big factor for me, both Etihad and Emirates will be operating A330's to Dublin and they are not the best in terms of space, these are the same planes Aer Lingus use Transatlantic; another reason to travel to Heathrow and get on a A380 or A340 instead.

Etihads A340 from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi is good and thanks to its size you often get spare seats to yourself, the Etihad 777 onwards from Abu-Dhabi has horrible brown seats and the AVOD kept crashing for me. You really can't beat the A380 for passenger comfort and I flew Qantas' A380 for 15 hours non-stop from Sydney to LA and took no notice of it, always try get on the bigger planes would be my recommendation, except for BA's 747, absolute sardines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Dublin is no use to us either so we are flying into Birmingham with Emirates and making a connecting flight there. We are really trying to avoid LHR as we have to travel to other parts of the Europe and hate having to cross london to make different flights from different airports with 3 kids in tow.

Etihad don't fly from Perth yet.

ellaq wrote: »
    Dublin is no use to us either so we are flying into Birmingham with Emirates and making a connecting flight there. We are really trying to avoid LHR as we have to travel to other parts of the Europe and hate having to cross london to make different flights from different airports with 3 kids in tow.

Etihad don't fly from Perth yet.

Eithad and Virgin Australia have launched a codeshare and you can book Perth to Dublin via Melbourne and Abu Dhabi on the virgin website, not the cheapest or the most direct way of travelling between Perth and Dublin but possible none the less, Etihad aren't pushing it on their own website as the codeshare is mainly benefiting Virgin Australia giving them access to Etihad's destinations in Europe (whilst filling a few extra seats for Etihad).

Next year Virgin themselves will fly direct from Sydney to Abu Dhabi, may be worth keeping an eye on for promo fares especially with Emirates launching and they will thrash Etihad on fares from Dublin so expect a blood bath on long haul fares on the Kangaroo route from Dublin next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

For me that would be like flying backwards to fly forwards. Direct flight from Perth to Dubai take under 11 hours. Perth to Melbourne 3.5 hours, Melbourne to Dubai over 14 hours. I once flew Perth via of Melbourne to LHR out of necessity and it was extra hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I'd give Emirates a go. Been flying with Etihad (8 flts /yr) since they started and their service is going down down big time (infrequent flyers may think it's the bee's knees but regular flyers aren't pleased with them ).Abu Dhabi airport is a pig pen (yes- the 'new' part of it ! ).

IF you get the chance of a stopover in Dubai take a Desert drive (3pm to 7pm ) that includes Flying over dunes in Land Cruisers / Desert buffet / Camel riding etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Capri wrote: »
    I'd give Emirates a go. Been flying with Etihad (8 flts /yr) since they started and their service is going down down big time (infrequent flyers may think it's the bee's knees but regular flyers aren't pleased with them ).Abu Dhabi airport is a pig pen (yes- the 'new' part of it ! ).

IF you get the chance of a stopover in Dubai take a Desert drive (3pm to 7pm ) that includes Flying over dunes in Land Cruisers / Desert buffet / Camel riding etc.

skytrax gives etihad much better reviews than emirates but each to thier own , was checkng out prices yesterday and emirates are a couple of hundred cheaper than etihad out of dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Normally go business class with Etihad and always found them great - but did cattle class recently and they were crap. We were gasping for water for most of the journey - instead of handing out bottled water they were passing through the cabin once every two hours or so and pouring small cups of water from a jug. Food was pretty poor - my wife asked for soup and they gave her a cup-a-soup and a mug of boiling water.

We also pre-ordered a baby meal for our 6 month old - they brought out a ham and cheese sandwich and were incredulous that we wouldn't try to feed it to him.

Then had to make a complaint due to the staff at the transfer desk in Abu Dhabi who were totally out of line when being requested to process an upgrade using my airmiles.

Would be tempted to go with Emirates if I had to go economy again - they might be trying a bit harder (that said they were pretty crappy when I used them to go the Mauritius 2.5 years ago).

Was actually far more impressed with VA, who did the first leg to Abu Dhabi - staff were great. Used them on a flight to LA recently too and they were excellent - far superior to Singapore Airlines, who don't seem to get the concept of 'I'm sleeping - I don't need to be woken for a face towel'.

I guess in reality a lot of it comes down to pot luck - you can end up with some really great cabin crew, or some awful cabin crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TonyB466

Having flown with Etihad in 2009 and Emirates in 2010 to China, I can say Emirates have a far better product.

When transferring in Dubai Do not forget to book lounge access in T3 (emirates only terminal) Can be booked from tripextras.com around 25e and access even in Economy class, I cannot fault the lounge! Dubai airport is huge, but very easy, shopping is a must!

Seats on Etihad & Emirates are very similar however Emirates ICE entertainment seems to be much better!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

kdevitt wrote: »

...far superior to Singapore Airlines, who don't seem to get the concept of 'I'm sleeping - I don't need to be woken for a face towel'.

As someone whos flown over 100k miles with SIA I can safely say this has never happened to me. Majority of flights would of been greater than 8 hours and over night for meetings next day.

All economy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

castie wrote: »
    As someone whos flown over 100k miles with SIA I can safely say this has never happened to me. Majority of flights would of been greater than 8 hours and over night for meetings next day.

All economy too!

Happened to me in business class on 3 out of the 4 legs I did between Sydney - SG - HK. Won't be using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

we flew to brisbane with etihad, the staff were amazing with our kids, aged then 4 years and 9 months, they entertained my lil girl on an extremely long flight, entertainment was great, food was good (when is food on plans fabulous anyway??) plane was spotless, flight was on time, no complaints, have also done shorter flights with emirates but this long haul was with etihad - great experience :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Do any of these planes have somewhere to charge your Irish laptop while flying in economy class? Also do either provide Internet while flying?

digiman wrote: »
    Do any of these planes have somewhere to charge your Irish laptop while flying in economy class? Also do either provide Internet while flying?

Etihad had power in economy class when I flew them last Feb. http://www.seatguru.com/ will tell you about stuff like this and the layout of the cabin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Just wondering has anyone done the Emirates return to Dublin?

Looking to book flights home for a holiday next year in cattle class and can get Etihad and Emirates for the same prices.

Anyone traveled both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

If they're the same price, definitely go with Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Emirates 777 have a 10 accross seat config in economy, against 9 for the majority of other airlines! This makes the cabin very cramped! Just something to watch for if that would bother you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

alan1990 wrote: »
    Emirates 777 have a 10 accross seat config in economy, against 9 for the majority of other airlines! This makes the cabin very cramped! Just something to watch for if that would bother you!

I think they also operate an A380 on that route, but you make a fair point, flying on a 777 can be pretty nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Just be careful with Emirates if you are looking for a 1 stop flight. Some of their flights claim to fly straight to Dubai but they stop in Singapore for a couple of hours. Its hard to see on the website when you are booking so just be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Just be careful with Emirates if you are looking for a 1 stop flight. Some of their flights claim to fly straight to Dubai but they stop in Singapore for a couple of hours. Its hard to see on the website when you are booking so just be careful.

Had that happen to me before and was very confused in my bleary eyed state.

Given the choice between the two I'd pick Etihad but that's just personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Another vote for Etihad from me too. The big plus for me is they have power ports at every seat. I can't really sleep on planes so I put a load of films/magazines/podcasts etc on the tablet and with the plug I don't have to worry about the battery running out.

Emirates only have power ports on the A380. None on the 777.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Don't know why theres a thread on this, just go with whoever are cheaper. I flew with Etihad and no problems, found it very pleasant.

Advertisement