Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy or Kindle?

• 21-10-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Want to get my husband one of these for a Christmas present but I'm not into technology and would appreciate if someone would tell me which of these is best? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

If budget is not an issue then Samsung all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mrsnicey

Thanks for that. I'd planned on getting him a Kindle but I did't kow about the Galaxy until today and he travels alot so someone suggested he may use a Galaxy more. Just one more question...where's the best place to get a Samsung? Internet or shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I would say a Galaxy also :)

Very thoughtful of you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

mrsnicey wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'd planned on getting him a Kindle but I did't kow about the Galaxy until today and he travels alot so someone suggested he may use a Galaxy more. Just one more question...where's the best place to get a Samsung? Internet or shop?

If he's more into reading books than surfing the net then I would go for the Kindle as you can't really read books for any length of time on a computer tablet due to the glare off the screen. However if he only reads books from time to time and likes to surf the net then the tablet computer is the winner!

You should also look at the Motorolla Xoom as well as the Galaxy. These are the two main Android tablets and both have pretty much the same specs but the Xoom is over €100 cheaper and can be got in most shops for around €340. Spend the left over €100 on a nice cover for the tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Go for a Samsung Galaxy if can afford it!
    Just read the reviews here http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/?tag=reviewCategories;revCatWrap
    And there are some place supplied for you to choose.

Sorry for putting the wrong link before. :-) and thanks Jareck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Bellu wrote: »
    Go for a Samsung Galaxy if can afford it!
    Just read the reviews here http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s-4g/4852-6452_7-34494094.html
    And there are some place supplied for you to choose.

I think that Op is looking for a tablet not the smartphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

mrsnicey wrote: »

If he travels a lot and brings a laptop then he might not want the extra weight - of either of these. The comments I would have (if its for when hes traveling)

If he takes paperbacks with him - the kindle would probably be used.
    If he doesn't have a decent smart phone then the galaxy tablet would probably be used.
    I know when I travel I wouldn't bother bringing a tablet with me - as I have to bring a laptop and a smart phone (I definitely will be bringing my Kindle with me on my next trip though !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Ballyman wrote: »
    ...the Xoom is over €100 cheaper and can be got in most shops for around €340. Spend the left over €100 on a nice cover for the tablet.

Spend the €100 on the Kindle.

If reading books is the prime use of the device, the Kindle wins every time.
    I have an iPad, but I would almost never read on it, as I would much prefer to read on the Kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If budget is not an issue then Samsung all the way

Not if you want an eReader. They're not equivalent devices, so even if they were the same price, the tablet might not be the obvious choice.
    Ballyman wrote:
    You should also look at the Motorolla Xoom as well as the Galaxy. These are the two main Android tablets and both have pretty much the same specs but the Xoom is over €100 cheaper and can be got in most shops for around €340. Spend the left over €100 on a nice cover for the tablet.

We have a Xoom at work, and none of us like it at all. It feels cheap, badly weighted and not very usable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What is he likely to use it for? If the primary reason is to read books, particularly novels, get him the Kindle. It's much easier on the eyes.

If he's looking to browse the web a bit or reading colour publications, then a tablet device, like the Samsung, might be a better choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement