Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hire purchase for a TV

Options
  • 22-10-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

hey im not sure if im in the right thread or not but i was just wondering if anyone would know if and were i could purchase a 3D TV say on hire purchase through my direct debit ?

would i have to pay a deposit based on the price of the TV ??

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

No offence mate but it's a long time since I've heard of anyone getting a tv on hp, got two myself back in the day, one in the 80s and one in the early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

ah right i see so its unlikely then too bad were not back in the good owl days thanks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Why not be sensible and save the money first before you spend it on a rather non-essential item like a 3d tv. Yes, I am taking the risk of a warning or ban from this section but come on. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Harvey Norman do this.

You apply instore and pay 10% of the price as a deposit.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/services/payment-options/quick-credit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Argos do hire purchase as well, as far as I know it's interest free too.

I do remember looking at Harvey Norman's flexirent scheme, but they retained ownership at the end of the term unless you make a final payment. This new Quick Credit thing looks a good deal better although €5,000 over 4 years still costs you nearly €2,500 in interest.
    qwertz wrote: »
    Why not be sensible and save the money first before you spend it on a rather non-essential item like a 3d tv. Yes, I am taking the risk of a warning or ban from this section but come on. Seriously.

I disagree. Saving means you pay €100 aside for ten months and get a TV in, for example, May. Whereas Hire Purchase, especially on the interest free versions, means you put €100 (or with interest, maybe €120) away each month but get the TV now. It works fine and I've done it myself, albeit with something a little more crucial which was car insurance, because when I first started driving it was far too expensive to afford the lump sum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

qwertz wrote: »
    Yes, I am taking the risk of a warning or ban from this section but come on.

Ah here, we're not that bad! :)

Anyway, moved to requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Joe10000 wrote: »
    No offence mate but it's a long time since I've heard of anyone getting a tv on hp, got two myself back in the day, one in the 80s and one in the early 90s

You must roll in high circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

in the uk quite a lot of rolex watches are bought on a three year no interest plan, it seems that once paid for they are worth more the the origional cost, a handy way of saveing a few quid.

mdwexford wrote: »
    You must roll in high circles.

All the way matey, all the way.

The reason I said what I said was because TVs used to be very expensive, probably a few weeks wages back then. Now you can buy a decent TV for a weeks dole so I don't understand why anyone would need to buy a TV on HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Littlewoods..

• Advertisement

Joe10000 wrote: »
    All the way matey, all the way.

The reason I said what I said was because TVs used to be very expensive, probably a few weeks wages back then. Now you can buy a decent TV for a weeks dole so I don't understand why anyone would need to buy a TV on HP.

Show me where you'd get a 3D tv for a weeks dole and i'll buy one for you and everyone else in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,374 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

super-rush wrote: »
    Show me where you'd get a 3D tv for a weeks dole and i'll buy one for you and everyone else in this thread.

Can I be first in line for a tele!

1 weeks dole (typical family):

man & wife = €312.80
    4 children = €119.20

total = €432 (From citizen information)

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/19998/xx/xx/8/3/criteresn.html?sSortInfo=Prix-ASC&srcid=391&mctag=gu_goog_201&gclid=COu6kaLphqwCFUtB4QodYiEn_Q

mickdw wrote: »
    Can I be first in line for a tele!

1 weeks dole (typical family):

man & wife = €312.80
    4 children = €119.20

total = €432 (From citizen information)

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/19998/xx/xx/8/3/criteresn.html?sSortInfo=Prix-ASC&srcid=391&mctag=gu_goog_201&gclid=COu6kaLphqwCFUtB4QodYiEn_Q

For that you deserve one :pac:

Ok sorry, I withdraw all my comments from this thread, I had missed the spec. of the tv wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Etnies wrote: »
    Littlewoods..

at 39.9% interest per year.:eek: - even some money lenders would be embarrassed at that rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

neiler987 wrote: »
    hey im not sure if im in the right thread or not but i was just wondering if anyone would know if and were i could purchase a 3D TV say on hire purchase through my direct debit ?

would i have to pay a deposit based on the price of the TV ??

Any help would be appreciated thanks

3D is a waste - it is of no use whatsoever. It will disapear fairly quickly as the extra cost of making the programmes is not covered by any premium paid.

If you need to buy on HP or similar, then it suggests you shouldn't be buying it / can't really afford it. A decent 32" - 37" TV will give you as much quality as you will ever need and you'll get it for well under €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

This one might look ok....Although personally I wouldn't shop from there...

http://www.florgriffin.ie/Entertainment/WALKER-WP3211LCD.html

Advertisement