Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about memory and OS upgrades

Options
  • 22-10-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

The first question relates to RAM compatibility. I'm looking to change over from XP to Win7 and I think that an increase in RAM is in order.

I've currently got 4GBs Corsair DDR3 PC1600 C9 Classic installed and I want to be sure that I'm not going to be getting any compatibility issues if I buy this.

Secondly, as I'm partly upgrading my OS for BF3, I'm wondering where I can get the best deal on Win7.

As it stands XP Home does my needs, so I'm thinking that Home Premium would suffice. The best deal seems like the XP upgrade from Amazon. What do you think? I assume that the 64-bit version would be preferable?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Well with 4GB of RAM you don't need to upgrade it, 4 is plenty for almost all current applications, except if you do large amounts of video editing, large image editing or do lots of 3D graphic design.

Secondly it might not be worth your time upgrading to Windows 7 for BF3 if your PC won't be up to the task of running BF3 or Windows 7, so you would want to make sure your PC spec is high enough for both of them. If your not sure, post your computer spec here and someone will advise you further. You can use CPU-Z to get detailed specs.

The best deals on Windows 7 is with software4students €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm fairly sure my PC can handle BF3 once I sort out the OS. It's an i5-760, 4GB RAM (which is actually closer to 3.5) and a GTX460. I reckon with that I'll be able to run it at mid settings.

BTW, do you not have to be a student to buy from that site? My student days are long gone - at least for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I assume that the 64-bit version would be preferable?
    If you want more than 3.3gb ram you have to get 64bit windows. Also with windows 7 64bit performance I dont think there is ever a need to use 32bit unless you have 1gb of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Hello Fanny Cradock, back for more?;)

I'm fairly sure it was me who advised on your last build some time ago :D

you're problem with your ram is because you're using 32bit windows it can't address more than ~3.2Gb. and I wouldn't dream of installing windows XP 64bit cause its a total mess. if I recall we had this conversation on you're last thread too? this'll be fixed with windows 7 x64, and 4gb is more than enough for now.

anyway, do you have children in school or anyone in part time education? There are many ways to qualify for that €45 windows 7 that was mentioned earlier. off the record, Ive never been asked to verify my student status. (I am a student though)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yes, it's all coming back now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement