Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor plants

Options
  • 22-10-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I was gifted a near dead maidenhair fern. I believe they have a high humidity requirement so I have put it in the bathroom, although the only place available is on the sil so it is in direct light.

Does anyone know what else I can do to help it back to life and would the direct (altough now winter) light be a problem?

Also, I bought a small plant over the summer that the seller did not know the name of. I thought I'd be able to figure it out but have not id it so far. It looks to be mound forming, with green spines, for all the world very like Samphire seaweed. They said it has white flowers of which I've yet to see. I know its a long shot but anyone any ideas.

I'm tech stupid so I cannot figure out how to post a pic.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cut off all the dead stuff, keep moist (though not waterlogged) and hope for the best. Don't think the light will matter at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I've got a house plant this last few years...dunno what ir is tho..maybe I'll take a pic and post later for ye to tell me :)

Anyhow..I've had it years..it's like part of the family at this stage..I'd be gutted if anything happened to it..my daughter even named it a few years ago..she named it 'jimmy' ;)

I've just moved house and between the weather being very dark and the mo and the windows in the house being quite small I'm afraid it's not getting enough sun light..

Last house I was in had terrific daylight and plant thrived..

Any ideas...should it be ok?? How do house plants stand up to little sun light?

Pic on the way :rolleyes:

Pic added :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Zipppy, It looks to me like a Schefflera maybe? although not this variety.

I don't know how much light yours is getting but they generally adapt their leaves to more efficient photosynthesis depending on they light they are receiving so they can put up with a lot less than you think. If its just changed environment you may find it loses some leaves while it is adapting.

I finially figured out what the other plant i have is...its a Rhipsalis baccifera and its not doing to well. Anyone any tips for growing these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

ya jimmy is schefflera actinophylla, lucky you

rje66 wrote: »

Agreed, though it may lose its variegation in low light.

• Advertisement

rje66 wrote: »
    Why lucky??
    looksee wrote: »
    Agreed, though it may lose its variegation in low light.
    What does that mean :)

Zipppy wrote: »
    Why lucky??

What does that mean :)

I was a bit puzzled about the lucky comment myself :)

Variegation in plants is when you get yellow/white stripes or marks on the leaves. In low light conditions the variegations can disappear and you just get plain green leaves. (On the other hand in bright light conditions sometimes you get yellow or mainly yellow leaves) Its not a problem if you don't mind less stripes - they don't usually disappear completely.

I have a Philodendron scandens - Sweetheart plant - growing in low light conditions and it has gone almost completely green rather than variegated, but it is otherwise vigorous and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

possibly because of the weather we are having recently, some would consider it lucky to have an 'umbrella tree' in the house:confused:

Variegation in plants is when you get yellow/white stripes or marks on the leaves. In low light conditions the variegations can disappear and you just get plain green leaves. (On the other hand in bright light conditions sometimes you get yellow or mainly yellow leaves) Its not a problem if you don't mind less stripes - they don't usually disappear completely.

I have a Philodendron scandens - Sweetheart plant - growing in low light conditions and it has gone almost completely green rather than variegated, but it is otherwise vigorous and healthy.

Hmmm..it's always been completely green.....

Zipppy wrote: »
    Hmmm..it's always been completely green.....

Yes there is a green version, but I thought I could see some yellow striping on the right hand side.

• Advertisement

lucky you

from your picture, your plant looked like it was big and healthy, something i find difficult to do with my indoor plants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

So noone with any experience of a Rhipsalis (I think also known as mistletoe cactus).

I understand it was to go into catus soil that I do not have so I just put it in much more free draining soil. Its epiphytic so I'm gonna be pretty p!ssed if I managed to kill something so requires so little care.

its a type of forest cacti, dont over water during resting period, dislikes hard water, prefers partial sun, ideally east facing window, doesnt like dry heat , likes leaves to be misted. hope this helps

Advertisement