Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing preinstalled apps

Options
  • 22-10-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Probably a thread somewhere already on this but how the F***k do you get rid of pre-installed apps ont eh Galaxy GS2?

I want them off off off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

You cant. They're there to stay. Unless you root the phone and install a new ROM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You just need to root, then you can use Nitrality to remove them. If it's just the Touchwiz user interface, you can install Go Launcher to get a more natural Android look and feel, it's miles better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I can't be bothered with all this effort, if I want to take software off I don't want shouldn't be forced to keep it on - I simply don't want 90% of the crap they have loaded up on the phone I am taking this heap of junk that runs out of power in two hours that runs app endlessly that at times is diffiult to turn on that answering a call to with its little swipe across the screen is a pain in the a*rse, that has given me nothing but grief for the past six weeks back to the Vodafone store. I want my old nokia back - answers calls sends texts. I shoudl have got the I4 like everyone said I should the Galaxy is being consigned the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

westtip wrote: »
    that answering a call to with its little swipe across the screen is a pain in the a*rse

I hate to break it to you, but thats how you answer calls on the iphone 4 too.
    I want my old nokia back - answers calls sends texts.

Maybe smartphones aren't for you, so. Phones these days are about much more than calls and texts.
    I shoudl have got the I4 like everyone said I should the Galaxy is being consigned the bin.

The iphone also comes with lots of apps that you'll never use (and no way to get rid of them without jailbreaking).

westtip wrote: »
    I can't be bothered with all this effort, if I want to take software off I don't want shouldn't be forced to keep it on - I simply don't want 90% of the crap they have loaded up on the phone I am taking this heap of junk that runs out of power in two hours that runs app endlessly that at times is diffiult to turn on that answering a call to with its little swipe across the screen is a pain in the a*rse, that has given me nothing but grief for the past six weeks back to the Vodafone store. I want my old nokia back - answers calls sends texts. I shoudl have got the I4 like everyone said I should the Galaxy is being consigned the bin.

Throw it out the window, you obviously don't have the patience for any touchscreen smartphone.
    Much like a laptop, you have to control what you have running and be careful what apps you install. I doubt it's the pre-installed apps that are killing your battery. The biggest drain is the display, set it to the lowest you can bear, add a shortcut to your home screen to turn it up when you need to. Turn of wifi when you're out and about. Only turn Bluetooth on when you need it. Don't run apps or widgets that update continuously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

thanks will give it all a try - trouble is I really like it but have these issues with it that make me ask is it worth the bloody trouble!

the thing is about teh apps and widgets I want to find a way to run them off permanetnly I keep going into settings applications running and turning them off only for me to find them running five minutes later - its like there is an inbuilt program to say - ok u can turn us off but it makes no dam difference because I will turn myself back on in five mins - social netework hubs, shopping hubs, yahoo finance, 360 shop - this one drives me bananas, ap mobile. Its enough to dirve you to distraction.

FWIW I can get 2 days out of my Galaxy S

The beauty of Android is you can change what you don't like, annoyed with the keyboard or sms app, just download another from the market. Touchwiz (Samsungs own version of Android homescreen interface) isn't very nice, I hate it. You should try Go Launcher I posted above, it's got lots of addons and themes and may get you to like your phone more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Smart phones are a really a mini computer and have similar over head in terms of learning curve and on going maintenance. I had to revert back to a non smartphone recent and it certainly much slicker for calls and texts. However theres so much they can't. Simple things like keeping contacts in sync with other devices and online are almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ULMarc

I believe titanium backup will remove preinstalled system apps. This is how I removed gingerbread's music app so I could instal the Ice Cream Sandwich release.

Advertisement