Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom , higher speed than advertised ?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Quick question ,

I have Eircom Home Advanced broadband "up to 7mb" and have always been able to max out my connection .

My download and upload speeds in the router settings page have always been listed as 7168/312 kbps .

I just noticed this morning it says 8160/512 kbps ( see screenshot )
    178881.jpg

It wasn't like this the other day .

Are Eircom doing some upgrading ?
    I'm not in an area covered by their "Next Generation Broadband" scheme .

My online account page still says I have Eircom Home Advanced broadband "up to 7mb"

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Mine also occasionally tops 8mb ....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Any ideas about the question posed in the OP? I've just realised that I am currently maxing out at 8160Kbps and am also on a 7MB connection. A nice complaint to have, but just curious about the reason for it!

I'm in Louth too btw.

edit: sorry.. I got to this thread via Google and assumed it was in the Eircom forum. Perhaps a mod could move it there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ekul1987

I'm in cork and have 8mb next gen broadband from eircom and the speed rarely drops below 14500/750 (Kbps). nice complaint.

Only problem is the router is rubbish keeps crashing while gaming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Quick question ,

I have Eircom Home Advanced broadband "up to 7mb" and have always been able to max out my connection .

My download and upload speeds in the router settings page have always been listed as 7168/312 kbps .

I just noticed this morning it says 8160/512 kbps ( see screenshot )
    178881.jpg

It wasn't like this the other day .

Are Eircom doing some upgrading ?
    I'm not in an area covered by their "Next Generation Broadband" scheme .

My online account page still says I have Eircom Home Advanced broadband "up to 7mb"

Any ideas ?

Hi ninja 12,

It sounds as though you may have been upgraded to NGB. Can you PM me with your telephone number and I can confirm this for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Hi ninja 12,

It sounds as though you may have been upgraded to NGB. Can you PM me with your telephone number and I can confirm this for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark ,
    It's not a bad complaint to have , a higher than advertised speed (I'm not complaining )

I had a look at the nextgenerationbroadband.ie site , and I'm not in an area covered bt NGB .

I put my number and account details into the line checker and was told my exchange hasn't been upgraded .

Looking at the colour coded map , my area is still white , not even on the list to be upgraded yet .

I just logged in to the Eircom site , and it says I have " Up to 7MB" and 50GB download allowance yet my router still says 8160/512 ( and I can max out the connection :D ) .

Any ideas if it will stay like this or is it just a bug ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement