Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adelaide anyone?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Going through the process of defacto visa. Adelaide bound as most of her family based there. I've been a few times and found it ok (but that was on holidays) and overall it seems a bit quiet. What's it like for jobs etc? Any reaction from Irish folks over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

I just arrived in Adelaide a month ago - I was offered a job here so was pretty much coming whether I thought I'd like it or noy. But I'm really starting to like the place.

I certainly don't think it could make a great holiday destination - it's a pretty allright city near enough some beautiful beaches but hasn't many outstanding holiday attractions besides the wine valleys and lovely natural areas pretty nearby. To live in though it's pretty great - it's only Dublin size and the city centre seems smaller so everything is pretty handy for getting around - I don't have a car and am walking lots. Once you scratch beneath the surface there are lots of cool things happening and nice spots for food/drink and fun things happening. Depends a lot on what you're into though - I was off at a vintage fair earlier and had a weekend at the Festival of Ideas and evenings after work swimming on the beach. So it depends a lot on what you like to do.

The thing that does drive me a bit mad is how car designed the city is - everything on the roads revolves around making driving better and quicker so pedestrian crossing take an age to get through - really annoying when you're possibly going to get a $500 fine for jaywalking and when you do it anyway all the cars within a mile of you either stop dead centre in the middle of the road or start blaring their horn, when they're no where nearby at all!

Anyways, if you have particular questions give me a pm, not sure what the job situation is like but have met a couple of other people newly arrived and straight into cafe / bar jobs pretty handy.

Oh if you're going to rent here most places don't have furniture so bring as much stuff as you can - just spent a packet buying stuff like a fridge and washing machine Ill never be able to bring home :(

The weather is heating up nicely though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

lostinros wrote: »
    Going through the process of defacto visa. Adelaide bound as most of her family based there. I've been a few times and found it ok (but that was on holidays) and overall it seems a bit quiet. What's it like for jobs etc? Any reaction from Irish folks over there?

Depends exactly what you want. Its a great place to bring up kids, the climate is good, the lifestyle is great. Its a really nice city without it feeling too big. Plenty to do for 6 months of the year and quiet for the other 6.
    Not many Irish when we arrived a few years ago but a steady stream arriving now. Great sport, good food. Pretty quiet if you are a party goer. Relatively cheap compared to the other major cities. Plenty of jobs but nothing comes easy. You got to go for it and work hard to succeed here. Same as everywhere else. No money on trees. You get out what you put in. Most people would like it. And we have the footy at Adelaide Oval to look forward to in 2014. Come on the Crows!
    Best of luck with the move.

Advertisement