Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel P-660HW-t1 V3

Options
  • 22-10-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Just got eircom broadband over the last couple of weeks and I find the wireless with this router absolutely terrible.. cutting out at random times..
    is it worth investing time to find a fix, or should I just go and buy a proper router?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Tiesto wrote: »
    Just got eircom broadband over the last couple of weeks and I find the wireless with this router absolutely terrible.. cutting out at random times..
    is it worth investing time to find a fix, or should I just go and buy a proper router?

Thanks

Hi Tiesto,

Are you connecting wifi just for browsing or streaming or are you gaming and connecting smart phones?

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Hi Mark,
    This seems to have got progressively worse.
    Now nearly everytime I come home from work, I cant get connected and have to restart the router for the connection to work.
    Any idea what this could be?

At a max there would be 3 items connected
    1. Laptop
    2. Playstation
    3. Smart Phone

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Mark,
    Now nearly everytime I come home from work, I cant get connected and have to restart the router for the connection to work.

1. Laptop
    2. Playstation
    3. Smart Phone

Thanks.

Hi Tiesto,

There may be an issue with the broadband connection. However before we can escalate to a technican, broadband technical support need to run a few checks before assigning to a technican.

If you call them on 1890 260 260, let me know how you get on.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Guily

Dear tiesto,
    have the same ****ty router cant stay connected to xbox live keeps disconnecting me every ten minutes if you found a solution could you let me know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Mark,

1. Laptop
    2. Playstation
    3. Smart Phone

Thanks.

Hi Tiesto,

Thanks for your post.

I've taken a look at your broadband connection. Both sync and attainable rates look excellent. It's also showing solidly connected across eircom's radius /authentication servers. In fact I don't see the modem being turned off at all and it has lost carrier only once in the past 15hrs.

This might indicate you're having a problem directly with wireless, or weak signal frequency. Wireless issues particulary with smart phone or iPads may have more to do with their own preferred adaptor setups. You might wish to rule this out first, before you attempt further troubleshooting.

One suggestion might be to connect only your latop over an Ethernet cable and monitor this connection over a period (a few days). Another quick check might be to test your 'smartphone' or iPad over a different WiFi hotspot; for e.g: See if you're having the same problem with these gadgets /devices when you log on wirelessly. Many pubs and hotels will have free WiFi hotspots, though you'll probably notice they also have some 'coldspots'. That is: where it is difficult to connect to the Internet through their wireless LAN modem. If this is the case, the source of the problem may not be your own modem.Try it and see.

I have logged on to your router and can see that you have turned off your firewall. It would be advisable to just lower the firewall instead of turning it completely off. Most Games Consoles require this in order to open ports and allow access through their games server.

I notice you haven't ever reported this or any broadband problem to Technical Support. This department is the first point of contact for all eircom related broadband /technical issues.

Before you may need to call into Technical Support, please review some of the suggestions on our eircom Support Forum below. Some of these may be very helpful :

Gaming: Need help setting up gaming or a gadget? Find out more - http://bit.ly/uDoFZi #eircom #support

How to improve your Wireless

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi Guily,

Please see my previous post to Tiesto.

Some of these ( suggestions, support and contact number) may be helpful.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Thanks

Tiesto, the Zyxel is rubbish. I got one of those when i upgraded to so-called NGB BB from eircom. Set up the Zyxel and found i could no longer get a signal downstairs. Called eircom tech support who advised me to go back to using the previous Motorola modem, which i did and no more problems: i now get a strong signal all over the house.

Why did eircom send out an inferior product? search me.

eircom win because they now have me signed up for a further twelve months contract. I get BB, but at the same speed I had before the so-called upgrade.

Yes, i have complained to eircom. I called eircom Broadband Freefone number; then eircom tech Support; then eircom sales. Spoke to some nice people, but none was able to do anything, because eircom don't care once they have you signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Guily

Hi eircom Ant,
    thanks for the reply, i sorted out the modem, i changed my security type to WEP instead of WPA and now connection is fine and speed is good too, the only thing is that i had to customise my firewall to allow the xbox nat type to be open and now it wont login into google chrome on the laptop, it thinks its a threat or something, doesnt bother me too much tho because i dont use google chrome anyway.

Guily wrote: »
    Hi eircom Ant,
    thanks for the reply, i sorted out the modem, i changed my security type to WEP instead of WPA and now connection is fine and speed is good too, the only thing is that i had to customise my firewall to allow the xbox nat type to be open and now it wont login into google chrome on the laptop, it thinks its a threat or something, doesnt bother me too much tho because i dont use google chrome anyway.

Thanks for getting back.

Glad to hear you've sorted out the problem with the security key and changing the encryption type. Firewall set to low should allow you to open ports and Nat for most games consoles. Can't really help what is happening with the google browser. I don't use Chrome myself, though I have neices and nephews that think it's the best thing since sliced bread wink.gif

Cheers, Ant

Advertisement