Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount St. Helens

Options
  • 22-10-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭

A recent hop (Packwood to Walter Sutton's Private Strip) took me past the Mount St. Helens volcano. Naturally, I fished the old instamatic out of the flight bag...

(Scenery by Orbx)

Approaching from the northwest:
    msh1.jpg?t=1319287977

Closer look at the crater, with signs of the northward lateral blast:
    msh3.jpg?t=1319288180

A more panoramic view:
    msh2.jpg?t=1319288335

Looking west. Note the lava/debris extending off into the distance.
    msh4.jpg?t=1319288488

For comparison, here's a link to a real-world photo: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/images-archive/fame/20040924-referenceb-lg.jpg

Stork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Those are actually Pyroclastic flows, and or Lahars, rather than lava flows... very little actual andesitic hava was produced by Mt St Helens (Physical Geography BSC bitchez!)

Nie snaps, I fancy having a flight up there some time... Irish field trip on vatsim? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭storker

Ahh, nothing to beat genuinine knowledge. I wasn't actually sure if lava was involved or not, so I took a guess. Like the man in the orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. ;)

Stork

Advertisement