Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Tattoos

Options
  • 22-10-2011 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok m thinking of getting a tattoo on my arm or leg and I wanted to get it in a Irish Tribal style just wondering does anyone know where I could get some examples of this online

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

irish tribal? really please dont

nothing worse then tribal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

wow I always thought celtic designs were something irish people should get done if we were getting tattoos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

celtic and tribal are two different things.

and alot of celtic stuff can look very crappy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

astonaidan wrote: »
    wow I always thought celtic designs were something irish people should get done if we were getting tattoos

No mate we're definitely under no obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

There's lots of different tribal, like generic flash type tribal

Tribal-Tattoo-Designs.gif

And then something like maori tribal

cool-maori-tattoo.jpg

Then samoan tribal

50335_83261331600_5878219_n.jpg

For something Irish, you'd be looking at things be similar to this

celtic2.jpg

• Advertisement

No mate we're definitely under no obligation.

I think You miss understood, I meant if we were getting a tribal tattoo makes sense for it to be irish than lets say a Maori one which has nothing to do with us or our heritage, I wasnt talking about general tattoos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AineThePiercer

I think what they are trying to tell you is there is no such thing as "Irish Tribal".

really I thought with our celtic heritage wed have a some form of tribal tattoos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AineThePiercer

No unfortunately, unless you go back to designs from newgrange and other old irish structures/books :D

Well dam that there goes my plan for something traditional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Other than Celtic knotwork, or the Newgrange entrance stone style patterns, then there's nothing that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Well dam that there goes my plan for something traditional

To the best of my knowledge, tattoos aren't traditional in Irish culture.

You could commemorate a 700 year period in Irish history by getting a union jack, though.... :D

To the best of my knowledge, tattoos aren't traditional in Irish culture.

You could commemorate a 700 year period in Irish history by getting a union jack, though.... :D

Tempting but I think Ill have to pass, Looks like itll be a celtic cross, Its times like this I wish I was from New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Tempting but I think Ill have to pass, Looks like itll be a celtic cross, Its times like this I wish I was from New Zealand

Click on the link below mo chara, plenty of fantastic looking stuff that might be up your alley:

http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22Celtic+tribal+tattoo%22&gbv=2&oq=%22Celtic+tribal+tattoo%22&aq=f&aqi=g2g-S2&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1203l5312l0l5703l22l18l0l0l0l0l282l1878l9.8.1l18l0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Or if you're looking for old age Irish heritage, why not get a bit of writing done in the Ogham style?

Link!

Massive size link there, but you get the idea. Research it though and make sure you place it correctly. Ogham doesn't read left to right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Or you can have a look here , I am hoping to have a a halve sleeve of Celtic work down and this site has been very helpful for I ideas.

http://www.aon-celtic.com/free/cfreewarecliparts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Get a leprechaun. With a hat on. Smoking a pipe through gritted teeth. In a boxing pose preferably. Lettering is optional, but should read "Fightin' Irish", or similar. This is the type of tattoo the aul' keltick cheeftanns used to proudly display.

Advertisement