Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S - best network

• 22-10-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I.m way out of contract with my current iPhone 3GS on O2, counting the days til the 4S comes out. So based on O2's new data plans I'll be moving to a new network, but I'm not sure which network I should move to.

The perspective I'm looking for here is who has the best 3G coverage, as opposed to plan value. I can figure that out for myself when the plans are announced.

So, how would you rate each network in terms of 3G coverage?

O2 - great coverage and reliable 3G in most places I find
    Vodafone -
    Three - wife has iPhone 4 on this but her 3G reverts to 'o' every chance it gets which would be a bit annoying
    Meteor - don't know much about them. Have they an up to 14Mbps network?
    EMobile - which network do they piggy back on

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

AlanD wrote: »
    I.m way out of contract with my current iPhone 3GS on O2, counting the days til the 4S comes out. So based on O2's new data plans I'll be moving to a new network, but I'm not sure which network I should move to.

The perspective I'm looking for here is who has the best 3G coverage, as opposed to plan value. I can figure that out for myself when the plans are announced.

Vodafone -
    Three - wife has iPhone 4 on this but her 3G reverts to 'o' every chance it gets which would be a bit annoying

Anyone else?

eMobile is Meteor by another name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Vodafone -

Anyone else?

You forgot tescomobile - uses O2 network, but cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

Tescomobile won't have a subsidised iPhone til 2012 I believe.

I will unlikely buy sim free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Tescomobile won't have a subsidised iPhone til 2012 I believe.

I will unlikely buy sim free too.

I've advised my dad, who's contract ends this month, to use one of the prepay offers (most are pretty good now) until the New Year before getting an iPhone 4S.

One of my thoughts is that O2 probably has something in their contract with Tesco Mobile, or else O2 has the power with Apple due to their size, that will allow O2 to stock the iPhone for a few months before Tesco Mobile (otherwise, why wouldn't Tesco Mobile have it at launch).

Also, all the networks that stock it initially will probably not give an extremely good subsidy on the iPhone 4S. They'll know that there'll be hoards of people buying one anyway (Apple fans and Christmas presents). After Christmas, I expect better iPhone 4S plans and more networks to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh I think the networks are making a mistake by releasing there plans only on Friday. I think there losing out to apple a lot. The sim only plans are very good now.
    I think there hoping for people to panic buy.

I'm going to sit back and wait. Suss out the cheapest plan. Then buy.

• Advertisement

Apart from the plans and value for money, can anyone comment on the reliability of 3G networks outside of O2 and Vodafone, both of which I have past experience with.

Meteor is a network I know nothing about, so might consider it if the 3G network is pretty good. Anyone know if it's a 14Mbps ready network?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Apart from the plans and value for money, can anyone comment on the reliability of 3G networks outside of O2 and Vodafone, both of which I have past experience with.

Meteor is a network I know nothing about, so might consider it if the 3G network is pretty good. Anyone know if it's a 14Mbps ready network?

im on Meteor for 8 years now. iPhones for the last 2.
    In Dublin, so my experience may be of no use to you, but i get 100% 3G coverage at all times except when deep in the house or some buildings.

sorry but ive no idea of the 14Mbps thing? Are any networks ready for this? and if so can it actually be achieved on a mobile device from any network currently?

Some networks are 14Mbps ready alright. I believe Meteors broadband dongle is, but of course you share the bandwidth.

I think O2 and Three might be up there too, but could be wrong of course. Not stating fact.

Does Meteor have EDGE as back up? Looking at meteors coverage map, it could have the coverage I need, but maps tell you nothing really.

How about eMobile coverage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some networks are 14Mbps ready alright. I believe Meteors broadband dongle is, but of course you share the bandwidth.

I think O2 and Three might be up there too, but could be wrong of course. Not stating fact.

Does Meteor have EDGE as back up? Looking at meteors coverage map, it could have the coverage I need, but maps tell you nothing really.

How about eMobile coverage?

when my phone drops from 3G, it goes to E (Edge).
    eMobile = same network, so same capabilities i'd assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yes, meteor goes to EDGE when 3G drops off, I don't think any of the others do this. Its a good thing too because EDGE is much more tolerable than GPRS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

My advice would be get a prepay sim for the networks and try it out. Get o2 to unlock your phone. It's not until you do your own routine that you will know which networks are suitable

My advice would be get a prepay sim for the networks and try it out. Get o2 to unlock your phone. It's not until you do your own routine that you will know which networks are suitable

This is true. I might grab one tomorrow from meteor for a couple of days then try another network

• Registered Users Posts: 38 macbook.dan

Vodafone -

Anyone else?

As far as I know 3 are supporting HSPA+ which would be using 14.4mbps, I don't know if any other network is supporting this, but what I will say is stay away from Meteor/EMobile and if ya didn't like 3 I'd stay with o2 over going to Vodafone.

Mr.S wrote: »
    3 (billpay) are hands down the best network for the iPhone, IF you can sustain signal.

So basically if you live in Dublin you'll be grand.

After that, i'd go with meteor.

I have to disagree, Meteor coverage is horrible anywhere, even for voice and text, other than the big towns, it's a fact 3 have the best and widest 3G coverage in the country and by far the best bill pay offers, also Meteors customer service is horrible, sure you are talking to Irish people but if you can get 3's non English speaking repersentives to understand you they are very good at there job unlike Meteors staff.

I have to disagree, Meteor coverage is horrible anywhere, even for voice and text, other than the big towns, it's a fact 3 have the best and widest 3G coverage in the country and by far the best bill pay offers, also Meteors customer service is horrible, sure you are talking to Irish people but if you can get 3's non English speaking repersentives to understand you they are very good at there job unlike Meteors staff.

Can't say I'd agree with your assertion about 3. My wife has iPhone 4 on 3 and more often than not her signal is on O. My iPhone 3GS however is on 3G most of the time.

I can't say about the Meteor signal. I'm hoping it's good as I've preordered a 4S from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I did some speed tests on 3 around Galway with my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 4S and wrote a blog post about it:

http://finbarrbrady.com/2011/10/iphone-4s-faster-on-3-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Do any providers offer inclusive data roaming as part of their packages. I'm on the original Vodafone iPhone 3GS package that allows you to roam with your 2GB of data, but am out of contract right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RonanC wrote: »
    Do any providers offer inclusive data roaming as part of their packages. I'm on the original Vodafone iPhone 3GS package that allows you to roam with your 2GB of data, but am out of contract right now.

You are on pretty much the best package in Ireland for data roaming.

Unfortunately it is no longer available and every other option is way more expensive for data roaming.

As I travel a lot and find it very handy, I'll be holding onto this plan for dear life, despite all the other downsides with Vodafone (crap reception in my apartment, no edge, etc.).

Be careful about upgrading, they may force you onto another plan with no data roaming and less data if you change phones or anything about your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I did some speed tests on 3 around Galway with my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 4S and wrote a blog post about it:

http://finbarrbrady.com/2011/10/iphone-4s-faster-on-3-ireland/

Great blog Finbarr, I'm also on 3. Do you know if the 4S holds onto 3G better than the 4, and are the speeds any faster on Edge? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Leatherman

I'm out of contract on 3GS moving to an apple unlocked 4s. At the mo I'm on a vodafone simply with 1gb add on is this "simple" approach the best to continue with. Vf don't allow u to tether with their data so bit concerned about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

bk wrote: »
    You are on pretty much the best package in Ireland for data roaming.

Unfortunately it is no longer available and every other option is way more expensive for data roaming.

As I travel a lot and find it very handy, I'll be holding onto this plan for dear life, despite all the other downsides with Vodafone (crap reception in my apartment, no edge, etc.).

Be careful about upgrading, they may force you onto another plan with no data roaming and less data if you change phones or anything about your plan.

As I understand it doing anything with your price plan or upgrading will remove the inclusive data roaming...I'll be the last ever Vodafone customer on PCA+ haha! ;)

As for the original question, it's clear to me from testing with my 4S that Vodafone are not allowing my account (and presumably any other standard voice customer) to use the higher HSPA+ speeds on their network at the moment anyway. They do support HSPA+ but only for premium priced dongle plans.

See this thread I started; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431898

Leatherman wrote: »
    I'm out of contract on 3GS moving to an apple unlocked 4s. At the mo I'm on a vodafone simply with 1gb add on is this "simple" approach the best to continue with. Vf don't allow u to tether with their data so bit concerned about that.

That's what I was going to do as I was on Simply 100 with the 1GB data addon. But I was feeling uncomfortable with shelling out 600 quid on a phone. I ended up going with PCAP 150 but have regretted it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I have had iPhones with O2, Vodafone and most recently with Three.
    I guess it all depends on where you live/reception etc. and although I don't fancy ringing their call centre, for me, in every way "Three" has provided the best overall package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just got the iPhone 4 on 3 yesterday. Love it.

Its a pain when it switches to o or Edge and won't switch back to 3G, but simply go into network and manually choose provider as 3 (3G) and it hasn't dropped to edge once :)

Obviously only going to work properly if in a good coverage area :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bkehoe wrote: »
    As I understand it doing anything with your price plan or upgrading will remove the inclusive data roaming...I'll be the last ever Vodafone customer on PCA+ haha! ;)

Not if I can help it!! ;-)

alexboard wrote: »
    This is the biggest frustration I have since I moved to 3. Was years with O2 and you take it for granted that a service you pay for just works! Cos you pay for 3G plan you expect to get it.... Not on Three!
    3G coverage is rubbish, if you want to call n text you're prob OK, but as a smartphone user, biggest mistake ever and now stuck for 24 months.
    Even in city it keeps switching to the back up voice network with extremely slow GPRS, I had never seen the blue circle on my iPhone being used so often. This is actually the Vodafone network. The Three network is 3G only (displayed as 3 3G) and everywhere when you can't get it, it automatically switches back to Vodafone (displayed as 3) through a roaming agreement they have. The thing is once it has switched, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to look again for the 3 3G network, or you have to manually re-scan!!! During your time on the virtual Vodafone 3 network, you don;t get 3G or pretty much any data at all, even the EDGE barely works.
    Absolutely rubbish, and I don't even mention Cork to Dublin train journeys or any venture outside urban jungles. I wish I could get out, if any one knows a way please post, It's killing me

I must be the only one on boards.ie that love's 3, I don't know about all ye guys in Dublin and other big towns but I live in the north west and travel down to Galway a bit and I'm nearly always have 3G and even if I don't, I still have Internet access that is slow but useable, I just want to say also I was in the UK for a few days and it was a lifesaver tethering my MacBook, not a penny more in my bill and while I'm on that the most I've gone over my €40 per month bill is about €3 I don't know any one that could say that on o2 or Vodafone using the phone as much as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

alexboard wrote: »
    This is the biggest frustration I have since I moved to 3. Was years with O2 and you take it for granted that a service you pay for just works! Cos you pay for 3G plan you expect to get it.... Not on Three!
    3G coverage is rubbish, if you want to call n text you're prob OK, but as a smartphone user, biggest mistake ever and now stuck for 24 months.
    Even in city it keeps switching to the back up voice network with extremely slow GPRS, I had never seen the blue circle on my iPhone being used so often. This is actually the Vodafone network. The Three network is 3G only (displayed as 3 3G) and everywhere when you can't get it, it automatically switches back to Vodafone (displayed as 3) through a roaming agreement they have. The thing is once it has switched, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to look again for the 3 3G network, or you have to manually re-scan!!! During your time on the virtual Vodafone 3 network, you don;t get 3G or pretty much any data at all, even the EDGE barely works.
    Absolutely rubbish, and I don't even mention Cork to Dublin train journeys or any venture outside urban jungles. I wish I could get out, if any one knows a way please post, It's killing me

My bro tells me pretty much the same thing - he travels between Tipp & Athlone on a regular basis and says his signal from 3 is always terrible and regrets signing onto a contract with them (he was attracted by their unlimited data offer!). His contract is up early next year & he's swapping networks asap.

But I was wondering if a network's signal is dismal, would that not give you grounds for breaking a contract? They're not providing the service you're paying for, then would your customer rights not come into play?

About 3 years ago I signed up for mobile broadband with O2, and it worked OK for the first week but after that the signal was dire and pretty much unusable. I pushed my complaint about it on their online forum and through email, and eventually was allowed out of my contract. There was no way I was continuing to pay for a service that wasn't being provided. Would a similar thing not apply to mobile providers who have a very bad signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 alexboard

You're right, seeing all the post about their bad 3G coverage and now that I know why, got me fired up again and called them this morning with a definite resolution to get out of this sub standard network. Also submitted an inquiry with Comreg.
    They can take their phone back and all the bling extras like roam with 3, great but 99% of my time I use the phone in Ireland and that is where service and coverage matters. Rest is bull**** if they can't get the basics right.
    I will keep you posted on how it goes, next call in 24 hours ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Havent got an iphone yet but was using android phone on emobile ( Meteor) and data speed was always really fast. Never lose 3g. Before that was with vodafone and they were just crap and extremely unhelpful when you ring them to resolve any issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement