Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few IT issues.....Badly need help....

• 22-10-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I could really do with your help. I have a fairly decent background in IT and still cannot figure out what is causing these, I will buy ye a pint if one of you can figure it outbiggrin.gif

The problems seem to be interlinked. (system/BB)

Problems:
    1. 1) When downloading a file, my wireless mouse \ keyboard ( decent spec ) performance suffers considerably. There is a huge lag. Once DL complete, returns normal.
    1. 2) I cannot open another web page either, everything times out. Cant ping outside world until the downloading completes. Once complete, have to restart router, then returns to normal.
    1. 3) I have an eircom BB 8MB connection, When I do a speed test, I get around 5MB DL and decent ping times. However, the max download speed I ever get was around ½ MB.
    1. 4) Live in a semi D house. Once neighbour is home, cannot access a wireless connection to router, everything drops, broadband cable suffers also. What could be causing this?

Setup:
    Dell XPS 430 (quad core, 6MB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 64bit)
    Homeplugs.

I have spent a lot of time on these and cant seem to figure it out. I hope one of ye very helpful people canbiggrin.gif

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I could really do with your help. I have a fairly decent background in IT and still cannot figure out what is causing these, I will buy ye a pint if one of you can figure it outbiggrin.gif

Problems:
    1. 1) When downloading a file, my wireless mouse \ keyboard ( decent spec ) performance suffers considerably. There is a huge lag. Once DL complete, returns normal.
    1. 2) I cannot open another web page either, everything times out. Cant ping outside world until the downloading completes. Once complete, have to restart router, then returns to normal.
    1. 3) I have an eircom BB 8MB connection, When I do a speed test, I get around 5MB DL and decent ping times. However, the max download speed I ever get was around ½ MB.
    1. 4) Live in a semi D house. Once neighbour is home, cannot access a wireless connection to router, everything drops, broadband cable suffers also. What could be causing this?

Setup:
    Homeplugs.

I have spent a lot of time on these and cant seem to figure it out. I hope one of ye very helpful people canbiggrin.gif

Thanks.
    My guess is that its caused by the download manager regenerating the file which uses allot of hard drive time can cause the OS to lag. I get the same thing when downloading large files using a download manager, a way around it could be to download the stuff onto a external hard drive or stick another one in for downloaded stuff. I think the lag is to do with the disk activity on the Windows drive,
    The time out problem could be related to your system configuration but more likely the modem. My UPC modem did that when I was downloading large files, very annoying but not sure theres a whole lot you can do,
    Second method:
    If it did not work try this other method
    1-go to run
    2-type gpedit.msc
    3-expand the administrative templates
    4-expand the network
    5-select Qos Packet Scheduler
    6- double click limit reservable bandwidth
    7-enable it and put 0 in the bandwidth limit
    8-click apply and ok
    If you ever did a windows speed tweak like the above re-activate the reserve bandwidth, it may help with the timeouts issue

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Re #4, try changing the wifi channel on the router, your neighbour may be interfering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Thanks guys, I will the the above to see if that makes a difference. Never tried changing the output path to an external hdd.

No harm in giving it ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Problems:

Setup:
    Homeplugs.

Thanks.

Re NO 1:
    do you have an all in one mouse/usb/wireless dongle? I have seen these cause problems in the past
    No2: You 6 meg line may not be 8meg! Copper lines may be old type and quite often I've found that a single Eircom line coming into house is actually split into 2 by eircom! If they are throttling your download it may be the sites etc that you are downloading from? Due to Eircom's anti piracy policy, they block/restrict access to a number of sites or P2P software.
    No3:
    Related to number 2
    No 4 related to number 2
    Firstly change wireless channel, hook up to router via ethernet cable and test download speeds (use previos downloads as example)

Hope this helps (-;

Many thanks repairmypc.

1 - Yes, I have a wireless dongle, its a Logitech wireless set. Is there anything I can doabout this?

2 - It looks like there are 2 cables coming in to our two houses, neighbour doesn't have internet but when home, once power switch turns on next door, my wireless and DSL signal affected. If I ring eircom, will they tell me if i have a split line?

2B - Even dl from Microsoft site, still can only get the half meg, even though speedtest is giving mw nearly 5 meg.

Pure annoying:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Many thanks repairmypc.

1 - Yes, I have a wireless dongle, its a Logitech wireless set. Is there anything I can doabout this?

2 - It looks like there are 2 cables coming in to our two houses, neighbour doesn't have internet but when home, once power switch turns on next door, my wireless and DSL signal affected. If I ring eircom, will they tell me if i have a split line?

2B - Even dl from Microsoft site, still can only get the half meg, even though speedtest is giving mw nearly 5 meg.

Pure annoying:(

If you can borrow another laptop and test speeds in house:
    Can you screen capture the download speed as stated on your router and post it here
    When dealing with Eircom, be aggressive and make sure they address teh problem properly but only after you have ruled out your own laptop as being the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Also... 5 Megabits is only approx 625Kilobytes

Some downloads show the speed in Kilobytes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

[*]1) When downloading a file, my wireless mouse \ keyboard ( decent spec ) performance suffers considerably. There is a huge lag. Once DL complete, returns normal.

Bluetooth and your Wifi are probably interfering with each other.

I've a linksys router with an alternative firmware which has a setting for "Bluetooth coexistence".

Try googling your Eircom routers make & model plus "bluetooth" or ""bluetooth interference". See if anyone else has the same problems.

Another thing to try is un-pairing and then re-pairing your bluetooth mouse & keyboard, it might force it on to a different non-interfering frequency.

Thanks guys for all your help, just got in from home working on laptop via dongle, speeds fine, did a speed test and getting around 4MB.

Neighbour not home yet so have no problems yet. Just downloaded a file from microsoft site and getting around 380 k/bs which is even not half of a meg.

I must check into the bluetooth interference, it would be great it that was causing it. Just check disk activity on main pc while downloading and there doesnt seem a strain anywhere.

Wonder whats causing interference from neighbours that is affecting my broadband so much grrrr.........:mad:

Thanks guys for all your help, just got in from home working on laptop via dongle, speeds fine, did a speed test and getting around 4MB.

Neighbour not home yet so have no problems yet. Just downloaded a file from microsoft site and getting around 380 k/bs which is even not half of a meg.

I must check into the bluetooth interference, it would be great it that was causing it. Just check disk activity on main pc while downloading and there doesnt seem a strain anywhere.

Wonder whats causing interference from neighbours that is affecting my broadband so much grrrr.........:mad:

I repeat, 380 kilobytes a second is you downloading at 3 meg(abits)

Your download speed listed in the browser is generally in kilobytes. Your broadband speed is in Megabits. There are 8 bits in a byte.

Hence 380x8 = 3040

• Advertisement

If your broadband was actually Megabytes p/s instead of Megabits. You would be looking at the equivalent speedtest of 32 megabits for a 4 megabyte line.

Advertisement