Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coal Deals in Cork?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Its that time of year to stock up on coal again.

I went to Hanleys last year who always seem to have decent enough deals.

Anyone see any other deals worth a look?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

5 40kg bags for €52 in rathcormac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I get it from Kelly and Sons on Monahan road...Really nice chap and he will deliver it.. €20 for a big 25kg (me thinks) bag of coal and same size bag of turf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

stacexD wrote: »
    5 40kg bags for €52 in rathcormac

Where abouts in Rathcormac? seems very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Barr wrote: »

I'd say that's ordinary coal and not the smokeless coal. Its a regular deal "buy 4 get one free" at €13 per 40 kg bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I got 10 x 40kg bags delivered from some guy in Blarney for €154.

There is another crowd who I saw afterwards - Discount Fuels who do the same for €145.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I got a great deal on coal the other day...a few bags for free. They were in my drive way when I got home. I didn't even have to order them. I don't even have a fire place :-)

p.s. yes, I did track down the rightful owner and return them

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

On the main street where rathcormac fireplaces used to be, just drive through the village and you can't miss it!
    It's not smokeless, great price all the neighbours use it and think it's great anyways.
    It's €10.50 a bag, not one of the buy 4 get one free

stacexD wrote: »
    On the main street where rathcormac fireplaces used to be, just drive through the village and you can't miss it!
    It's not smokeless, great price all the neighbours use it and think it's great anyways.
    It's €10.50 a bag, not one of the buy 4 get one free

I probably should have said its smokeless I'm after :) Would you know if they sell smokeless at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I forget the price, but Johns Hardware in Blarney were doing great deals last winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I got this flyer at the Great Gas petrol station in Turners Cross (where Turners Cross Motors used to be). I don't know if their deals are any good but I'll post it for reference. I'm assuming that the coal is smokeless if it's for sale in the city. Also they refer to it as "coal nuggets".
    179681.jpg

• Advertisement

I went to Hanleys in the end - it was hard to beat their offer.

3 x 40kg bags of smokeless coal , 1 bale of briquettes and a box of firelighters for €49

They deliver as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Any know of a better deal than Discount Fuels, in Passage, €87.50 for 6 ( 5+1 free) bags of smokeless?

Hi folks,
    time to start lighting the fire again so I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see what prices are like this year and to compare them to last year's prices.

So what have you paid for coal, briquettes, turf etc? Give quantity and type if possible.

Definitely not cheap, but to get the ball rolling, I paid €4.25 for a bale of briquettes and €10.95 for 20kg smokeless coal at the garage in Turner's Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Garages are not the way to go. If you want to get a bargain, you buy in bulk. You will save the guts of 20%

http://discountfuels.ie/

Those guys deliver. Not used them mind.

you're right of course, just bought at the garage for convenience on the way home from work.

Will try O'Shea's on Rutland St first as they're just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Healys Home Heating near Midleton are reasonable, I'm sure they deliver also.

Could be worth checking out their facebook or website (if they have) for pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Bump. That time of year again. Anyone know the name of the coal merchants on Barrack St and what kind of prices there these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Betty27

I live just beside it, will check tomorrow and put up the deals they do. As far as I remember they had quite a good prices last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Bump. That time of year again. Anyone know the name of the coal merchants on Barrack St and what kind of prices there these days?

To be honest, I'm not sure how far your from there, or if you have a car, but you won't get much cheaper than discountfuels.ie

But I think if you live local, they have a delivery service anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not sure how far your from there, or if you have a car, but you won't get much cheaper than discountfuels.ie

But I think if you live local, they have a delivery service anyway.
    A neighbour in my park called to the doors and asked if we wanted to all chip in for coal. He said a massive order might bring the price down. He then added up the number of bags and rang around for prices. Not sure how much was gotten in the end but we only paid €12.50 per 40kg bag for the premium polish coal delivered to my door. Not a bad oul deal me thinks. I had paid €11.49 for a 20kg bag of the smokeless tripe in a garage a week earlier.

Good idea out of him.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    A neighbour in my park called to the doors and asked if we wanted to all chip in for coal. He said a massive order might bring the price down. He then added up the number of bags and rang around for prices. Not sure how much was gotten in the end but we only paid €12.50 per 40kg bag for the premium polish coal delivered to my door. Not a bad oul deal me thinks. I had paid €11.49 for a bag of the smokeless tripe in a garage a week earlier.

Good idea out of him.

Fair play to him, buying in bulk is the way to go. You can always negotiate a good deal if the quantity is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Fair play to him, buying in bulk is the way to go. You can always negotiate a good deal if the quantity is there.

Just thinking about it now and maybe the price didnt include delivery. Ive a feeling one of his friends who bought it with us might have collected it on a tractor and trailer. There was definatly 4 tonne bought and he was waiting to hear back from others so it could have been 5/6 tonne ordered to get that price. Either way it was delivered to me so i wasnt worrying about who dropped it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Betty27

The place on Barrack Str is called Patric Murphy & Sons, they do 20 kg smokeless blend for e7.49, Briquettes e 3,80 and blocks e 4,50 http://www.patrickmurphyandsons.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niallofcork

Sofa King wrote: »
    Healys Home Heating near Midleton are reasonable, I'm sure they deliver also.

Could be worth checking out their facebook or website (if they have) for pricing.

https://www.facebook.com/healy.homeheatingsupplies?fref=ts

Advertisement