Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phenom x6 1090T vs Phenom x4 980 for Overclocking & Gaming

Options
  • 22-10-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Finally decided to build a new comp (if my current one sells) to last me till probably the end of next year (be upgrading to a i5 or i7 if there still king of the cpu's by then) so in my budget I got €150 to spend on a CPU and the reason I narrowed it down to these two cpu's is because there bothe black editions and I love overclocking so a non k i5 would be no good to me despite there amazing performance in games. So basicly my question is which is better for overclocking and better for games the 1090t or the 980, the number of cores dosn't make a difference to me because as we all know games don't use anymore then 4 cores, so which one would be perfect for the job?

Also how much worse is the FX-6100 compared to these two?
    Bulldozer so much fail =[

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

save for a while longer? you're only €25 off an i5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

not really when you think about it, i'd still need to get a p67 or z68 mobo (a decent one aswell at that) which will push the price up further, plus can't really save atm, i already have to take out a loan and wait to see if my old comp sells. trying to sell it while it's still worth abit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Better off going for an i5-2400 + H61 mobo then. Even massively overclocked the phenom still loses to it. There really isn't any point getting an AMD chip any more for gaming as intel wins at pretty much every price point.

still dosn't solve my overclocking problem tbh thats partly why i'm a pc gamer and while i know the 2400 is so much better for gaming it's the lack of overclocking made it a deal breaker for me besides i'm still gonn be getting a new comp next year with (hopefully) a 2500k or whatever might be replacing it by then so now i'm considering just getting another 965 and spend the extra on a better gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's the overclocking that you're after, then you should be getting the cheaper black edition quad cores or a 1055t.

• Advertisement

might do that, already have a 965 but it was a joy to overclock so i might get another see if i can push it further with ddr3 rather then ddr2, but inregards to the 1055t what would be the average oc on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

From what I've seen, the X6s usually get a little bit further than the X4s. X4s being just below 4GHz and X6s being just above.

Advertisement