Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash Flooding in Kerry

Options
  • 22-10-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭

Severe flooding makes some Kerry roads impassable

Severe flooding has hit parts of Kerry over night. The road between Cahirciveen and Waterville is impassable in parts - particularly near the creamery at the turnoff for Portmagee and near the Ring of Kerry hotel. Cahirciveen Fire Brigade and staff from Kerry County Council and working to clear the roads. The Annascaul to Inch road is also heavily flooded and part of an embankment has collapsed onto the road near the entrance to Inch Strand.

Kerry County Council staff are on their way to the scene but are asking motorists to regard it as impassable for the time being.

In other parts of the region there is considerable surface water on the roads and Gardai are warning motorists to avoid unnecessary journeys and to slow down if they have to travel.

Has anyone else been affected by this? It's done some severe damage down our way.
    I haven't seen the likes of it before and you'd think we were used to rain by now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

DeepBlue wrote: »

Has anyone else been affected by this? It's done some severe damage down our way.
    I haven't seen the likes of it before and you'd think we were used to rain by now.

Thanks for this.

All I've been hearing about since this morning is about traffic-jams and road-works but no flash-flooding was mentioned to me yet today, thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Travelled from Castlemaine to Dingle around 11. Lots of surface water and was diverted from the main road at Inch village, up to Lougher Cross, due to landslip at Red Cliff.
    Never saw such a torrent in the river along the Lougher road. Frightening. Couldn't cross the bridge and had to re-divert up to Tullig.
    The flood in the Annascaul and Lispole (Abhann a' Londraig) rivers didnt seem as bad. All reopened now it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

The Fire Brigade have a tender pumping out water at the North Strand Road...as i type.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Fire Brigade have a tender pumping out water at the North Strand Road...as i type.

Did the tsunami wash you all the way to the Kerry forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Did the tsunami wash you all the way to the Kerry forum?

stranger incidents have emerged here in Kerry ejmaztec ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kerry4sam wrote: »
    stranger incidents have emerged here in Kerry ejmaztec ;)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

DeepBlue wrote: »

Well if I was affected, the first thing I'd do is post to this forum, before the rising water submerges my laptop, then I'd start saving the house and stuff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was going into college around 7:20am and there was a car crashed in the straight just after milltown gaa pitch, not sure if it was to do with the flooding but there was a nice bit of water around there, 2 fire brigades were there and an ambulance so was quite serious, the c.maine/tralee road was pretty bad in spots, it was a lovely day in tralee when the sun actually came out, had it stayed raining allday It would have been a struggle getting home.

Advertisement