Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog won't sleep in his kennel

• 22-10-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everybody,
    We recently got a dog, he's a 1 and half year old pomeranian. He didnt get on too well with another dog in his previous owners house which is why we have him. He's lovely and loves his walks and his food. BUT he won't go into his new kennel in the back garden. He prefers to stay in the rain. Should we just let him into the house altogether? Only thing is he sheds a lot of hair. Is there anyway of getting him to use his kennel????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Does he come inside your home at all?

He is very small to be out all the time? Its starting to get cold and leaving him out in the rain IMOis not right. Was he indoors at his other home?

Dogs shed hairs!!! Get him groomed often so it wont be so bad and he will be more comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Regular grooming and the odd trip to a professional groomer and regular hoovering will cut hair way down. I actually find short coated dogs shed a lot more hair than long haired dogs. Short haired have teeny tiny hairs that stick to everything whereas the longer haired dog hair rolls up in to dust bunnies that you can easily hoover up.

I think ..correct me if wrong folks..that Poms have a very thick coat so are pretty well protected from the cold compared to some other small breed dogs. But the smaller the animal the easier it feels the cold, the bigger the body the better they cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Hi Aljud

He just wants company. That's the bottom line. I bet he is lonely.

I own a pomeranian and I am also a groomer.

They are very low maintenance in terms of grooming...2 maybe 3 times a year for a full groom and just brushing in between.

They do not shed much.

Give him a try in the house...he deserves to be spoilt as he is probably a bit confused at the moment.

Go on..be a softie! Winter is coming!

Dogs hairs dont bother me at all. I would be out with someone and they would say 'Eh you are covered in dogs hairs' LMAO

If you own a dog you own the hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aljud

thanks for that,

decided to keep him in all the time, not just at night.

Anyone want to buy a brand new kennel??????joke!!!

Al.

• Advertisement

aljud wrote: »
    thanks for that,

decided to keep him in all the time, not just at night.

Anyone want to buy a brand new kennel??????joke!!!

Al.

He will go in it in the summer when your sitting out or doing things in the garden.

They much rather be inside, special at this time of the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

have u tried feeding him in his kennel? And treats? Use something really tasty like chicken or sausage and throw it into kennel. Sit outside with him putting treats in for a few mins every day and he will soon associate the kennel with good things. It took about 2wks of doing this with our dog before she started using it properly. Now we come home after a day of torrential rain and doggie is lovely and dry. We only leave her out during the day and she sleeps inside at night time. The weather will soon be getting really cold and a normal kennel won't be much protection especially for a small dog like a pom.

Advertisement