Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PATENT

Options
  • 22-10-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone offer some advice on patents.

A company in America is attempting to claim a patent for a product that simply combines two products that have been around for years and currently state 'Patent Pending' on the products and website. It has been 'patent pending' for a couple of years now.

However a number of chinese companies already produce similar products. If I started to sell these products in Europe, would it infringe of the American's 'Patent' / 'Patent Pending'?

I thought maybe the Americans are saying 'Patent Pending' just to scare people like me away.

I also thought that maybe the Chinese have seen the Americans products and simply just made knock-off versions of it.

Can anyone give me more info on patents. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Simplifying it a lot: Patents are done by country. There are also European patents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

007.57 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone offer some advice on patents.

A company in America is attempting to claim a patent for a product that simply combines two products that have been around for years and currently state 'Patent Pending' on the products and website. It has been 'patent pending' for a couple of years now.

However a number of chinese companies already produce similar products. If I started to sell these products in Europe, would it infringe of the American's 'Patent' / 'Patent Pending'?

I thought maybe the Americans are saying 'Patent Pending' just to scare people like me away.

I also thought that maybe the Chinese have seen the Americans products and simply just made knock-off versions of it.

Can anyone give me more info on patents. What do you think?

If it is just a combination of two existing products it can not be utility patented, they can patent the design which just means once yours isn't identical you can go ahead. There is no inventive step in combining 2 existing products.

Advertisement