Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage Testers

Options
  • 22-10-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a non contact voltage tester. I was considering a Fluke but strangely some reviews say that it is not very sensitive & that you have to virtually put it in a socket !.

Can anyone recommend a good pocket pen type tester ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭White Wolf Airsoft

Lidil Have a few good ones in store for 20 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Ive got the fluke
    You have to bring it up close

I used to have one with sound
    it was very handy if i recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I use the volt tick vt10,

This is it here, i find it great.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/BEHA-UNITEST-VOLT-TICK-VT-10-Spannungspruefer-/120717740225

What am i saying
    the fluke has sound

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Discodog wrote: »
    I am looking for a non contact voltage tester.

I am not a fan of these.
    All they can do is give an indication that a device or cable may be live or that it may not be. This is why I would not trust them enough to bet my life on them. Having said that they can be handy for fault finding.

• Advertisement

Well ya- theyre not meant for 'safe isolation'
    but i wouldnt like to be without one

M cebee wrote: »
    but i wouldnt like to be without one

Exactly, its not for proving a circuit is off that they are used, although what is absolutely 100% perfect?

The one i linked has a good loud sound on it. They give a very positive indication. Many of the ones with just led indications light at all sorts of times such as rubbing them on clothes or hands etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

M cebee wrote: »
    .....and if the end user is aware of this that is ok.

2011 wrote: »
    .....and if the end user is aware of this that is ok.

The end user of a digital multimeter, or any tester, may not be aware of much either. Far more awareness is needed than just the reliability of any test method.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The end user of a digital multimeter, or any tester, may not be aware of much either. Far more awareness is needed than just the reliability of any test method.
    Agreed.

Advertisement