Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket tripping

• 22-10-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody able to give me a heads up here?

The sockets under my sink are giving me trouble, I've the dishwasher plugged into them plus I sometimes have an extension cable which I run out for a stereo and/or charging my laptop.

The dishwasher has starting tripping out recently, the power to the sockets cuts completely. I've checked the consumer unit and none of the fuses need resetting, but if I give the board a bit of a tap the power goes back to the socket only for it to cut out again. I've checked the appliances on another socket and they aren't the problem.

I'll be getting a sparks to take a look, but any clues in advance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like a bad/loose connection in the mcb board. And the load of the dishwasher is just causing the bad connection to break down.

Bad contacts in the RCD is another slight possibility, but the loose connection seems likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would suggest you shouldn't give your CU a bit of a tap anymore, for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Call an electrician!!!!

You have a loose wire in the distribution board / behind a circuit breaker. Do not try to fix this yourself, you could end up getting a really bad shock.

It is also quite a serious fire hazard depending on what is going on.

You need to get this fixed a.s.a.p. and I would suggest that you actually throw the main switch and isolate the whole installation until you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shay2010

Knock off the power at the main switch and investigate the socket and connections, might be something obvious, wouldn't do anything at the CU as one side is live and if you don't know what you are doing........you could poke around with a well insulated screw driver to look for anything obvious, failing this call an electrician

Advertisement