Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta for dogs?

• 22-10-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I always seem to cook too much pasta for dinner, never enough to have another meal out of but I hate throwing it out, was wondering if I could give it to the dogs mixed in with their dry food (and reduce the dry food amount), it's wholemeal pasta with no sauce on it. I don't want to make them sick or bloat them out - any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I would give it to all mine and they do fine. It's often given to puppys as a weaning food or sick dogs as it is easy on their stomachs, you should have no problem giving it to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah, that's great! Thanks Irushe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My lads love pasta , never had any problems giving it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

mine too, for a long time there i was feeding them tripe, raw meat and pasta, they bloody love it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Pasta, or more specifically carbohydrates, can be a really good mood regulator in dogs!
    However, to be effective it needs to be given about a half hour after a main meal.
    It helps the uptake of serotonin, the "feel good factor" in the brain, and whilst it can be helpful in helping cranky aggressive dogs, it's a nice little comforter for nice dogs too!
    Just go easy on it... It can play havoc on the waistline :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

My vet only this week said it was fine to give my puppy pasta. mix it with her Royal Canin puppy food. (she wont eat her food on its own :rolleyes:)

So yea it fine according to my vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pasta makes my rottie really sick :( So i cant feed it to my fella. But it is a good way of putting weight on them if you have a dog that needs some weight put on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Be aware that pasta does contain wheat, so if you dog is sensetive to wheat then pasta's a no-no.

My pair love it. They'll eat anything though. They'd eat yourself if you stood still long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

DBB wrote: »
    Just go easy on it... It can play havoc on the waistline :-D

It's certainly playing havoc on mine!!
    andreac wrote: »
    But it is a good way of putting weight on them if you have a dog that needs some weight put on him.

No they deffo don't need to put on any weight, they're both 'just right' according to vet!!

Thanks for the advice, I gave them the bit of leftovers this morning mixed in with their dry brekkie, so far no problems...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I occasionally mix some wholewheat pasta into my dogs food, and he loves it. I also give him wholegrain rice a couple of times a week and he seems to enjoy it! He cant eat dogfood or red meat, so its a little bit of variety at mealtime for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kylith wrote: »
    Be aware that pasta does contain wheat, so if you dog is sensetive to wheat then pasta's a no-no.

My pair love it. They'll eat anything though. They'd eat yourself if you stood still long enough.

Gluten free pasta is one of the very few gluten-free products that actually tastes nice :-D Could be a good alternative if the dog is suspected of having gluten-y problems!

The last time I fed a dog Pedigree wet food it had pasta in it (just a small amount in amongst the meat and gravy), I thought it was odd at the time but he really liked it!

Advertisement