Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay

Options
  • 22-10-2011 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Kinda new to the forum, and I am sure I will be blasted with pi$$ (After Hours Style) for starting a topic on Coldplay, but their new album is out on Monday and I have been listening to a couple of tracks from it on YouTube.

This one is not on the album, but it really ought to be in my opinion

Something about the songs begin to grow on me the more I listen to them; very upbeat which to many, is a new for Coldplay. Anyway, anyone else picking up the album or what are your thoughts so far? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Firstly don't listen to all the Coldplay bashing.

Most haters are just trying to be cool anyway and don't think about their comments beforehand.

Some of the people who criticize Coldplay have either only heard their singles or never seen them live.

The new album is good so far from what I've heard, not as good as my favourite album, which is X&Y but it does have its memorable moments.

Princess of China, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall and Moving To Mars so far are some of the highlights for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    this just shows how much coldplay crave the 'biggest band in the world' title. any band with any integrity would not duet with a manufactured, talent less, famous for her looks solely pop 'star' like rihanna. they're just desperate to stay at the top and sell as many records as possible with their safe music. it'll be justin beiber next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

WinstonOno wrote: »
    any band with any integrity would not duet with a manufactured, talent less, famous for her looks solely pop 'star' like rihanna. they're just desperate to stay at the top and sell as many records as possible with their safe music. it'll be justin beiber next

Rihanna can sing, she's not "manufactured" as you like to call it.

Coldplay will never go near Justin Bieber I can tell you that much and Rihanna is nothing like that kid who only 15-year old girls listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

On their previous album, Coldplay collaborated with Jay Z for a song, so this could mean a number of things. A desire to work with the best artists, especially those not germane to their own style of music, and attempt to engage with audiences who would listen to Jay Z/Rihanna and hopefully draw in new fans.

To be honest, I am not a fan of the song with Rihanna, but I can see that it may gain in popularity and feature a lot on the radio.

Certainly looking forward to picking up my copy of the album tomorrow! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

this just shows how much coldplay crave the 'biggest band in the world' title. any band with any integrity would not duet with a manufactured, talent less, famous for her looks solely pop 'star' like rihanna. they're just desperate to stay at the top and sell as many records as possible with their safe music. it'll be justin beiber next

This post screams hipster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I love this part from the review of it in todays Observer!

"wacky names and high concept can't seem to elevate their music from the sonic equivalent of a cup of tea made with a used bag: it's a bit uplifting, but ultimately insipid." :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

A musical journalist using the word insipid in 2011 is tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

rovert wrote: »
    A musical journalist using the word insipid in 2011 is tragic.

A poster on boards using the word tragic in 2011 is a catastrophe...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

People analysing what adjectives other people use is...making me self-conscious about what my next word will be.

Got the album. Not given it a proper listen yet but nothing grabbed me upon first listen. Coldplay's material since 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' has had to grow on you anyway. I'll wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Liber8or wrote: »
    Kinda new to the forum, and I am sure I will be blasted with pi$$ (After Hours Style) for starting a topic on Coldplay, but their new album is out on Monday and I have been listening to a couple of tracks from it on YouTube.

This one is not on the album, but it really ought to be in my opinion

Something about the songs begin to grow on me the more I listen to them; very upbeat which to many, is a new for Coldplay. Anyway, anyone else picking up the album or what are your thoughts so far? :)

Cool story Bro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I found Viva la Vida to be quite dull and Mylo Xyloto is pretty much the same. Nothing really interesting on the album at all and nothing's really growing on me, so I'm not a big fan of it. I blame Brian Eno. :)

I winced when I heard Rihanna on Princess of China. It was only a little better than having Jay-Z in Lost+ on Prospekt's March.

I think that if you enjoyed Viva la Vida then you'll enjoy Mylo Xyloto. If you didn't then move along, nothing to see here...

On their previous album, Coldplay collaborated with Jay Z for a song, so this could mean a number of things. A desire to work with the best artists, especially those not germane to their own style of music, and attempt to engage with audiences who would listen to Jay Z/Rihanna and hopefully draw in new fans.

To be honest, I am not a fan of the song with Rihanna, but I can see that it may gain in popularity and feature a lot on the radio.

Certainly looking forward to picking up my copy of the album tomorrow! :)
    are you serious???? its well known rihanna is completely auto-tuned, just listen to her records. i've watched her live many times and never once seen her sing live. and are you seriously telling me you think jay-z and rihanna are two of the best artists out there??? there are way better rappers and singers out there. all jay-z rappes about is money. both jay-z and rihanna are businesses, marketed to sell as many records and clothes as possible. coldplay are lining themselves up with these 'artists' to tap into there market and sell more records. its a business strategy, making great music is not important to them, its completely watered down to appeal to as many people as possible. their songs say nothing.

rovert wrote: »
    This post screams hipster
    not a hipster, coldplay just bug me coz their music is so shallow. their songs dont say anything. i couldnt name you a song off their last record it was that bland. they obviously have a team of stylists behind them who design these dumb army outfits they're wearing, these long song names are another attempt to look 'creative', not to meantion the phase he went through of writing crap on his hands about poverty and hunger. how is that helping anyone?? if only they put as much effort into their music

are you serious???? its well known rihanna is completely auto-tuned, just listen to her records. i've watched her live many times and never once seen her sing live. and are you seriously telling me you think jay-z and rihanna are two of the best artists out there??? there are way better rappers and singers out there. all jay-z rappes about is money. both jay-z and rihanna are businesses, marketed to sell as many records and clothes as possible. coldplay are lining themselves up with these 'artists' to tap into there market and sell more records. its a business strategy, making great music is not important to them, its completely watered down to appeal to as many people as possible. their songs say nothing.

I don't care very much for Rihanna or Jay Z (although I like his collaborative work with Linkin Park). I am just saying that it makes sense (and business sense) to engage with artists believed to be the best or considered one of the best in their respective field of music. I am not arguing both Rihanna or Jay Z are the very best, but there would be appear to be a lot of people out there who think they are - hence album sales, awards, etc. Whether or not these people's opinions are considered 'valid' (which by my estimation, you don't) is not up for debate here as all music is a form of art, and art is entirely subjective. No offence, and perhaps body language is lost in translation from spoken word to typed sentences, but you come across as quite arrogant. Clearly stating Coldplay's music is shallow doesn't mean you are right, that is just an opinion, and it certainly appears that a lot of people don't agree with you - hence why Coldplay are still going.

Coldplay were supposed to collaborate with Johnny Cash, but he died before he could record his part of the song.

A lot of the time collaborations are about money, but sometimes they are not...

sorry if i came across as arrogant, i guess i shouldnt let it get to me as much as it does, just know my head will be wrecked listening to these coldplay songs every time i turn on the radio for the next few months, while people who are actually trying to create meaningful music dont get a look in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Coldplay were supposed to collaborate with Johnny Cash, but he died before he could record his part of the song.

I think it was the thought of collaborating with Coldplay that killed him…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

I like Coldplay I don't think they're the best band in the world but I'm still a fan however 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' is just terrible and I can't bring myself to listen to any other songs from the new album if that is the choice of first single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is quite a catchy song imo. I wouldn't be the biggest fan, the first 2 albums are good, the first in particular, and viva..... has some good ones..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

leggo wrote: »
    People analysing what adjectives other people use is...making me self-conscious about what my next word will be.

Got the album. Not given it a proper listen yet but nothing grabbed me upon first listen. Coldplay's material since 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' has had to grow on you anyway. I'll wait and see.

I agree, I just 'got' their stuff in 'A Rush of Blood' straight away where as the rest have slowly grown on me. A Rush of Blood was DEFINATELY my most listened to album of 2001/2002. Having said that though I do really like the new album, at least the ones I've had a chance to listen to. Loving 'Us Against the World' and 'Paradise'. Actually kinda like the song with Rhianna too. I can understand why he recorded with her, she's a great performer and she knows her stuff, though I wouldn't be a fan.

I found Viva la Vida to be quite dull and Mylo Xyloto is pretty much the same. Nothing really interesting on the album at all and nothing's really growing on me, so I'm not a big fan of it. I blame Brian Eno. :)

I winced when I heard Rihanna on Princess of China. It was only a little better than having Jay-Z in Lost+ on Prospekt's March.

I think that if you enjoyed Viva la Vida then you'll enjoy Mylo Xyloto. If you didn't then move along, nothing to see here...

I agree with what you said about Viva la Vida, I found it a bit dull too, just couldn't get into it. I have to say I do like some of the songs on this album though, although I need to have a few more listens to see if I really like it.
    I'm into the pop vibe of it though, which is something I never thought I'd say :eek:

not a hipster, coldplay just bug me coz their music is so shallow. their songs dont say anything. i couldnt name you a song off their last record it was that bland. they obviously have a team of stylists behind them who design these dumb army outfits they're wearing, these long song names are another attempt to look 'creative', not to meantion the phase he went through of writing crap on his hands about poverty and hunger. how is that helping anyone?? if only they put as much effort into their music

If you hate Coldplay, their music and what they stand for soo much then why bother looking at a thread dedicated to their new album?? I just don't get it. I mean I hate Justin Bieber (with a frickin passion) so I'm not gonna waste my time looking for some fan thread about him so I can go offload my views on how **** his music and hair are. Why would you be bothered? Why not start your own thread where you can discuss your hatred with other like-minded folk and leave the rest of us, who've actually listened to their stuff, to have our discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

Had the first listen to it now. Not really thrilled about it. A few good songs, like Charlie Brown, Us against the world, U.F.O., Up with the birds. Some mediocre songs. Don't really like the whole pop thing they have going now. And Princess of China is an utter disgrace. Can't believe a band that has produced songs like The Scientist, Amsterdam, Trouble, Yellow and Don't Panic could ever produce a song with an artist like Rihanna.

Overall a really underwhelming album. Coldplay are not what they used to be. Seems like they're mostly caring about getting as many songs as possible on the hitlists now.

If you hate Coldplay, their music and what they stand for soo much then why bother looking at a thread dedicated to their new album?? I just don't get it. I mean I hate Justin Bieber (with a frickin passion) so I'm not gonna waste my time looking for some fan thread about him so I can go offload my views on how **** his music and hair are. Why would you be bothered? Why not start your own thread where you can discuss your hatred with other like-minded folk and leave the rest of us, who've actually listened to their stuff, to have our discussion.
    a forum is for expressing opinions. if we all had the same it would be boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

a forum is for expressing opinions. if we all had the same it would be boring.

Just like a Coldplay album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Firstly, I'm sick of the Coldplay bashing. if people bothered to listen to A Rush of Blood To The Head for example, you'd find it's full of brilliant songs, listen past the singles and get off this stupid bandwagon.

The new album is overproduced tripe. Either they've sold themselves out, or let their record companies make the decision, the sound is poor and completely drowned in a murky sea of over-instrumentation. Songs on the album that would have sounded great with piano/guitar/drum/bass have been overblown with so many instruments and post-production that they're just uncomfortable to listen to. I liked Viva La Vida, the idea Coldplay tried was fresh, but that's what it should have stayed at; an idea. Now they seem to be continuing in this direction, trying to create these larger-than-life songs but the result is poor. I don't know what they're playing at and they're better than that.

On a sidenote though, Moving To Mars is a great track, and it's just a shame the album didn't sound more like that. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is a ****ing awful song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I'm a big fan; have seen them 5 times live etc. but the new album I find very meh. Disappointed.

On further listening I have to agree i'm finding the album a bit tedious. I only like a handful of the songs and some of them are just AWFUL! So disappointed as I was hoping it would be epic :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement