Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car batteries

Options
  • 22-10-2011 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Who's good for car batteries in Cork? Halfords looks a bit pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ask and you shall receive! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Whats your car? Tell us this, we'll know the size 063/065/096 etc etc. And then we'll be able to advise if hal-frauds are expensive or not. Not would be my view, as i know how much each costs trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

if you know anyone with an Axa card they get 15% off in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paudie23

Go onto Donedeal. reconditioned batteries for sale there very cheap. They also sell new OE spec batteries at a reasonable price. I wouldn't go for a 'bargin' priced battery if buying a new 1. Generally it means that plates have been taking out and the battery will not perform very well over time. Halfords buy from a manufacturer called Varta, the batteries are good but very pricey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Whats your car?

2003 Opel Astravan 2.0 DTi
    deRanged wrote: »
    if you know anyone with an Axa card they get 15% off in Halfords.

Have one, still pricey.
    Paudie23 wrote: »
    Go onto Donedeal. reconditioned batteries for sale there very cheap.

That might do, the van is for sale and I don't want to shell out too much on it. It just looks bad if I have to jump start it for a test drive. :)

• Advertisement

the most you would pay is E50, maybe even E40. new van battery could fetch up towards E100. maybe the way to go especially if your selling it on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not sure it is the battery now, it's giving me 12.85 volts with the engine off, despite it barely turning over. Bah.

in that case you will need to get the battery checked in a good motor factors. they will need to use a hydrometer 1st to check the state of charge in each cell and also to see if the acid is discoloured.if its gone dark the battery has been overcharged or over cycled.dead battery. if the cells are ok and charged they will need to put a discharged tester on it.it is possible for a battery to have good volts with little or no power.discharge will find this out.
    sulphation another cause.stored at low voltage.again for the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

o'connell bros are far more reasonable than halfords.

hard to know without further testing, if you have a friend to help try measuring the voltage at the starter while trying to start the engine (cranking) if the battery is knackered it will drop well down

Advertisement