Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiced Beef

Options
  • 22-10-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all, quick question for ye - I bought spiced beef today in Cork English Market, it's vacuum packed, however, I forgot to ask butcher how long this will keep in the fridge, I assume the spices have some sort of preserving function. I don't want to freeze it? Do anyone have an answer for me? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its corned beef with spices, It should last at least a week in the vacpac in the fridge probably a lot longer.
    Is there no date on the pack?
    They should date it when they pack it, its good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

No, it's not dated. I've decided to cook it this afternoon as I'm dying to taste it :D. Once cooked, I believe it will be ok for 3 - 4 day's, however, in my house it will probably be gone by tomorrow night. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, the last one I did didn't last past 10pm!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It should last for ages once in the vacuum pack - the spices do preserve it. It might not be a bad idea to ring the butcher to get an exact shelf life, but I'd say that you have a month or so at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Hi, hope the mods don't mind me bumping this thread.

Just wondering to add on to the OP's question, how well would spiced beef travel?

Want to buy it in the English Market at Xmas, then board a bus to Galway then I'll have a journey of just over an hour after that, in a car. So a 4 hour journey approximately. Is this advisable?

EDIT: and I'll hopefully then refrigerate then cook the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hi, hope the mods don't mind me bumping this thread.

Just wondering to add on to the OP's question, how well would spiced beef travel?

Want to buy it in the English Market at Xmas, then board a bus to Galway then I'll have a journey of just over an hour after that, in a car. So a 4 hour journey approximately. Is this advisable?

EDIT: and I'll hopefully then refrigerate then cook the next day.

That won't be a problem at all, put it in your bag to be safe, is it Tom Durcan's spiced beef you'll be getting, thats one of the best although everybody has a favorite. Best of all in my opinion is Jack McCarthy's of Kanturk, they deliver also.

Advertisement