Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green curry problem

Options
  • 22-10-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi. The coconut milk curdled in my attempt to make thai green curry. What am I doing that causes this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say the heat was too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd say the heat was too high.

heat too high, for me I put the coconut milk in last then barely simmer for as long as possible...boiling is bad for coconut milk

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How soon after you put it in did it curdle?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think it curdled, what happened is you cracked the milk.
    Cracking is the separation of the solids from the oil in the coconut milk.
    I don't think its a big issue, many curries actually use the crack point as reference point during cooking.
    Beef Rendang is one that you keep cooking until the oil separates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

coconut milk doesnt curdle. maybe you used too much oil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Coconut milk will split if you boil it, don't boil it and it won't split

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

chaokoh coconut milk is much more forgiving than most - it nearly never splits in any recipe even if it has been boiled for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

nosietoes wrote: »
    chaokoh coconut milk is much more forgiving than most - it nearly never splits in any recipe even if it has been boiled for hours!
    I'd say there are a few added stabilsers in it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

nosietoes wrote: »

i would agree, i buy this stuff in bulk in musgraves for a great price because i use so much of it. It doesnt split, it releases its oils after about 20mins on a high heat and becomes sweeter and richer in flavour with no visable separation. great for curries :pac:

Advertisement