Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thundershirts?

• 22-10-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I've seen them come up in a few posts here and there and was wondering if anyone had personal experience with these. I've had to take the family dog to my own place - he's terrified of fireworks, the coal man, the post coming through the letterbox and being left alone in the house. It's pretty recent over the past year or so and we've had a behaviorist look at him and she was completely stumped. Few people have said that they really think these coats work, but I was wondering if anyone had proper personal experience in a severe case. When I say he's afraid of being left alone, I mean he will press his rump to the door, strip his teeth and snarl (however I can approach him and move him, my sister and mother would not dare). He's 8 years old and I really want to make the rest of his life as comfortable as possible, so if there is any truth to these Thundershirts, I'd really like to know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

I have found Thundershirts to work well along with other behavioural management. They seem to bring the anxiety level a few knotches. Worked well with my anxious dog and he then responded to further training. Can't see them doing any harm so worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Have you had him at the vets? To make sure there's nothing medical wrong with him that would cause this behaviour? If it's nothing medical then something must have happened to make him start behaving this way, can you recall anything because if there was an incident then you could start there with 'rehabilitating' him.

I haven't tried the shirts but I have heard good things about them, I believe they're based on the T-Touch method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yes, he's been at the vets, took him myself three days ago when I brought him to my place. She said he was in sound health, maybe a bit overweight. The only thing that's happened is my dad passing, we had to put him in kennels for three days over the funeral, but he was showing these signs of fear even before that happened. We were trying the Fireworks CD, taking him out on a lead and introducing him to the coal man (the post man is my uncle, he adores him, it's the letterbox he doesn't like) but he was getting so anxious that I was afraid of giving him a heart attack. However, since he left the home-place, he doesn't seem to have half the problems, so I guess whatever is encouraging him doesn't apply here. At least not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sezzie22

I have had brill experience with thunder shirts!! Got one for one of my foster dogs before...she pee'd when you laughed, the doorbell went off, loud noise on the tv etc etc.... She pretty much wore hers all the time and I also had 2 DAP plug in's- one in the kitchen, one in the sitting room and a DAP collar!!!!! I definately found the combo of thunder shirt and DAP to work very well, and helped her to relax so that I could start working with her to know that noises weren't always scary!!! She was still a nervous disposition but much more content in herself when she had her shirt on! I hope your little man feels better soon.

Update - he is no longer interested in Fireworks at all, he will walk past other dogs on the lead with just alerted ears and he only cries for about 3 minutes when I leave the house. Definitely the best forty quid ever spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Wow, that's some result. Can I ask where you got it from I might give it try for our younger dog. Thanks

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Wow, that's some result. Can I ask where you got it from I might give it try for our younger dog. Thanks

I got it off their site http://www.thundershirt.com/
    But I think there's an Irish site that sells them too.

Advertisement