Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fireworks

• 22-10-2011 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

There really in full swing at the moment. of course its only 9 days left till halloween. how can they be so abundant in a country where there supposed to be illegal.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The North, they sell em, fireworks, TNT, semtex etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

?

Have you ever been in the city center around this time of the year ?,
    like every market/high street there's someone selling them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

so most gaurds just turn a blind eye then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

FearDark wrote: »
    The North, they sell em, fireworks, TNT, semtex etc.

Thats it, since they made that provision in the Good Friday agreement regarding recreational explosives, theres been a marked increase in the volume of them down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Mr.Success wrote: »
    so most gaurds just turn a blind eye then?

They're the ones selling them :pac:

• Advertisement

probly confiscate them and give em to friends nd neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

probly confiscate them and give em to friends nd neighbours.

They actually do that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

how can they be so abundant in a country where there supposed to be illegal.

Fireworks????

Didn't happen to notice the heroin problem while you were there did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Ploughing Championships are a great place to stock up on them each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Fireworks can be very dangerous if they get into the hands of children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

i love fireworks.
    I have a heap of them already.
    The garda actually pulled up at one of my friends gafs and watched and clapped at the fireworks we were lighting.
    until we fired a rocket over someones back wall and milled a car out of it.

Fireworks????

Didn't happen to notice the heroin problem while you were there did you?

i'm down the country so no heroin problems thank god. theres more fworks than drugs around here at the moment

Dotrel wrote: »
    Fireworks can be very dangerous if they get into the hands of children.

thats the whole problem, its all kids who have them. they cant drive up the north and get them so its some scumbag who sells them to the kids down here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    i love fireworks.
    The garda actually pulled up at one of my friends gafs and watched and clapped at the fireworks we were lighting.

Proud of yourself, someone's hard earned car. That was a scumbag thing to do.

thats the whole problem, its all kids who have them. they cant drive up the north and get them so its some scumbag who sells them to the kids down here

actually its people who get their parents to drive them up the north and then they sell to their friends.
    Its hardly ever adults sellin fireworks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's like a war zone here atm. The dog freaks out every time one goes off.. the dopey fcuker, you'd think he'd cop on after a few thousand that he doesn't need to hide in the bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I can never understand why people spend their money on bangers. They explode and make a loud bang......WOW! :rolleyes:

As i always say you'd be better off just doing a ripper of a fart, at least there can be some comedic value to that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Jesus OP, where have you been? Speaking as a Dub, fireworks have been a traditional right for generations of Dubs despite them been illegal. I even set some off myself over the years.
    And yes there is some newish law about a 10grand fine for letting off a banger but have you seen anyone charged over it? Basically the fireworks banning law was brought in at the start of the Troubles(explosives related) and about time it was repealed so respectable folks can enjoy the occasion without being branded criminals.

i'm down the country so no heroin problems thank god. theres more fworks than drugs around here at the moment

Me too. Open the eyes man, far more serious issues. No matter where you live, if your seeing fireworks on the streets, theres a gear head close-by. Not selling fireworks though i might add :pac:

Me too. Open the eyes man, far more serious issues. No matter where you live, if your seeing fireworks on the streets, theres a gear head close-by. Not selling fireworks though i might add :pac:

bit a hash maybe, nothin too serious in a small town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't do as good old Mario Balotelli did last night:D:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056428609

thats bull**** man why would there be gearheads where there's fireworks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

They are not dangerous.

Yeah sure,some people attach them to dogs and cats and see how high they can fly and even fire them at livestock but over all the majority of people use them safely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

It's one of the many benefits of living near the border....:D
    They literally have them on sale on the side of the roads and have shops of them.

The closer to Hallowen you leave it the cheaper they are. Any scum that use them to hurt or scare animals should serve a lengthy jail term though....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    They are not dangerous.

Yeah sure,some people attach them to dogs and cats and see how high they can fly and even fire them at livestock but over all the majority of people use them safely.

Properly made ones are quite safe. Unfortunately the majority of the ones I've seen so far seem to be cheap ****.

It's one of the many benefits of living near the border....:D
    They literally have them on sale on the side of the roads and have shops of them.

The closer to Hallowen you leave it the cheaper they are. Any scum that use them to hurt or scare animals should serve a lengthy jail term though....:(

wher u? around swalinbar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

i love fireworks.
    Try sticking one up you're arse and lighting it, I hear thats fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

MagicSean wrote: »
    Properly made ones are quite safe. Unfortunately the majority of the ones I've seen so far seem to be cheap ****.

Well yeah thats true there are alot of dodgy ones around,im no expert though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

A lad i know got stopped at a checkpoint comeing out of Newery last weekend and had some which were confiscated 200euros worth,,,Jst took them,but no fine or anything,,,,and then the PSNI lads probably sold them back to the lads he bought them Off...:)

• Advertisement

wher u? around swalinbar?

nope east cavan close-ish to clogher market.

Try sticking one up you're arse and lighting it, I hear thats fun.

try Fúcking off i heard thats fun :D:D

Its light hearted mods dont be goin mad:cool:

elaverty wrote: »
    A lad i know got stopped at a checkpoint comeing out of Newery last weekend and had some which were confiscated 200euros worth,,,Jst took them,but no fine or anything,,,,and then the PSNI lads probably sold them back to the lads he bought them Off...:)

not sure why they were confiscated, unless they were illegal ones. most of them are above board in the north.

psni could be just acting the **** to southerners as they like to do. anyway best bet is to find more rural areas than newry.

nope east cavan close-ish to clogher market. its near there were the fireworks are on sale.

o rite, its just i was shoppin in asda enniskillen today with the family nd a mile after swanlinbar when you cross the border the shops are signposted. suppose its a way of making a livin for the people sellin this time of year.

o rite, its just i was shoppin in asda enniskillen today with the family nd a mile after swanlinbar when you cross the border the shops are signposted. suppose its a way of making a livin for the people sellin this time of year.

I think this time of year is when the dozens appear along the border. they disappear mostly after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

what about newry? anywhere there got them? was thinkin of ballbriggan market but hate the vibe there.....jonesborogh market in newry was great but nobody knows if its still happenin lol

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    what about newry? anywhere there got them? was thinkin of ballbriggan market but hate the vibe there.....jonesborogh market in newry was great but nobody knows if its still happenin lol

balbriggan market is worthless
    a few friends of mine have already been to jonesborough and are goin back up tomorrow.

well i remember jonesboro, going back about 8 years ago roughly......it was one of the most shadey places i ever been lol.....i was offered everything from gas guns to hash lol......but it did get stopped i remember, chuffed to hear its back on .
    One thing im sketchy about, and has anyone else not thought of....The chances are that theres spotters in there passing car reg numbers on to the gardai parked on the motorway/psni down the road....i think i'll give it a shot and head up from Dublin 2moro morning.....
    By the way, is there any other cool stuff i can get there that i wouldnt find down south? or is it just mostly stalls selling tools???
    Cheers

by the way, where exactly is the Jonesboro market? i see a few different ones on google, want to go to the proper dodgy one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I heard 3 fireworks at like 4am on a weekday morning like 1 month ago. Haven't heard any since. I guess thats at least 1 upside to living in the countryside.

well theres more upsides too, im in dublin 9 near the city center and im fed up with ****es robbing cars, drunks fighting outside the house on the weekend and listening to the Gardai Helicopter........but then again i would find it hard living in the rurals, too quiet for me, i'd get fed up listening to my tinnitus lol

• Advertisement

by the way, where exactly is the Jonesboro market? i see a few different ones on google, want to go to the proper dodgy one lol

The proper dodgy one isn't open any more unfortunately. You mean the one that sold knocked off alcohol, air-rifles and pirated games etc?

afaik, there's only a couple of stalls now which sell nothing of much interest. You might get fireworks though.. I haven't been there in a while.

sorry to be such an asker of questions lol....but seen as though jonesboro is a bit ****e, is there any other markets on tomorrow that :
    (a) might have fireworks and..
    (b)sell other randon decent stuff(excluding tools and building crap)
    would love to go to one, as long as its not 2 hours across the border lol...enniskillen any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

The reason people bring wellies to the ploughing championships is because they hide their fireworks in dem :P

You'd see young lads in town getting searched by the gards for fireworks and if they find anything they just take it and don't say anything to them

thats bull**** man why would there be gearheads where there's fireworks?

I did post that they were NOT directly connected. My point being, if he's this worried about fireworks being plentiful even though illegal, maybe he should focus on a real problem i.e the availability of class A's in small towns in ireland. My town has a population of 2,800 and i can go out right now and buy anything i want drugs wise. Have been able to for many years now. I can't buy fireworks down here though.

Fireworks are not in the same league. There are far more pressing issues than bloody fireworks and bangers. I have my selection box ordered, as i do every year, it makes a great night but it comes out of dublin via north and handled correctly they are a dam site more safe than any drug.

sorry to be such an asker of questions lol....but seen as though jonesboro is a bit ****e, is there any other markets on tomorrow that :
    would love to go to one, as long as its not 2 hours across the border lol...enniskillen any good?

I don't know of any similar markets. Only ever been to Jonesboro and it's been about 5 years since they sold any good stuff there.

As for fireworks, there's a thread on Bargain Alerts which might be of some help to you - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055682785&page=4

Clogher market its on the fermanagh/cavan/monaghan border. its in quite a rural spot but its a good market for tools etc, seen some there today.

i think its only on saturdays though from 10am. anyone know if you could get a telescopic baton in some of the tool stalls? there must be some knocking around somewhere in these stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Would there be markets up on grafon and all selling fireworks? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Clogher market its on the fermanagh/cavan/monaghan border. its in quite a rural spot but its a good market for tools etc, seen some there today.

i think its only on saturdays though from 10am. anyone know if you could get a telescopic baton in some of the tool stalls? there must be some knocking around somewhere in these stalls.

I take it you're aware that possession of a telescopic baton is an indictable offence and taken very seriously. Whatever about getting caught with firework, getting caught with an offensive weapon can land you in ****.

MarkD09 wrote: »
    Would there be markets up on grafon and all selling fireworks? :O

whats grafon?

I was in clogher market lately there was little to no fireworks. But the weather was ****e and it was closing time.

There would surely be some next saturday. But its not the best place, there are fireworks shops very nearby again on the border, I' m not sure of the place, there is a pub nearby, drive around enough you'll find it, they are signposted.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I take it you're aware that possession of a telescopic baton is an indictable offence and taken very seriously. Whatever about getting caught with firework, getting caught with an offensive weapon can land you in ****.

i dont understand its only a piece of metal? is it illegal?
    anyway possibly it may not be illegal in the north.

• Advertisement
Advertisement