Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinking of renting out a room

Options
  • 22-10-2011 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I am thinking of renting out a room in my house, just looking for some advice. Do I need to get a contract drawn up?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

You dont need a contract, but it would be prudent to have a few house rules that the renter agrees to before moving in and having misunderstandings arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elady

Thanks for that. What kind of conditions would you suggest? This is all new to me, I've never rented before. Would I be out of line to ask the person not to bring loads of friends around?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

use of bathroom; use of kitchen; distribution of keys; guests; overnight guests; housekeeping; smoking; maintenance; trash charges if any; ditto recycling; pets...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Firstly, If you're going to rent a room in your own home, don't look on your new tenant as an imposition on your life,embrace the company and fully welcome them into the house. They won't stay long if they feel like they're just renting out a room and don't have the freedom to fully enjoy the house. You hear these horror stories of someone renting a room in an owner occupied house, going into the sitting room to watch some TV in the evening and getting stared out of it by the owner! If you don't want the company...don't rent out rooms in your house!

It may be worth advertising the place a little below the usual rate for rooms in your area so you have your pick of tenants. When people come to view the place have a quick chat with them. If you're any kind of a judge of character you should be able to pick up if you'll get on with them. If you get a bad feeling about someone then don't give them the place. Usually your first instincts are right on these things.

You need to declare the income on your tax return for the year. You're allowed to receive 10k a year from renting rooms in your own home without having to pay tax so its only an administrative thing but you should do it anyway to cover your bases.

Set out whatever basic rules are necessary at the start before any money changes hands so you both know what the story is. Cleaning up after yourself, no moving in boy/girlfriends, no smoking (if you don't like this) no pissing off the neighbours etc. Don't be unreasonable though! Don't expect a celibate, non drinking robot as a housemate! If someone has a boy/girlfriend they should be able to have them over for the night without fearing your wrath! Just not every night!

Helpful info here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Most people who are moving in with an owner occupier are generally quiet individuals. If they were party animals they would be sharing with friends. They appreciate a well run house. The main thing is to be clear about when the rent is to be paid and how. Also explicit mention of any other charges. ESB, Gas, Refuse, TV Licence etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elady

Thats great thanks so much for all the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

elady wrote: »
    Would I be out of line to ask the person not to bring loads of friends around?

would they be out of line to ask you not to bring loads of friends around ?

you have to realise that if your going to rent to somebody its thir home and for it to feel like that they have to feel comfortable in it. if they asked oyu not to ahve friends over how would you react ? exactly.

Do unto others and all that ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

D3PO wrote: »
    would they be out of line to ask you not to bring loads of friends around ?

you have to realise that if your going to rent to somebody its thir home and for it to feel like that they have to feel comfortable in it. if they asked oyu not to ahve friends over how would you react ? exactly.

Do unto others and all that ...

It happens that individuals who are sharing often agree restrictions on guests. If there is more than one person resident in a house it is the home of both people. Nobody wants to have their home taken over by their flatmates friends.

Advertisement