Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led downlighters outside

Options
  • 22-10-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I want to get my outside downlighters changed from 12v mr16 20 watt halogens to mains voltage gu10 1 watt led units. I dont know the first thing about this but i want to know if this is ok. I realise they wont be as bright but thats fine.I want to order the parts soon and dont want to get something that cant be used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

nantony98 wrote: »
    I want to get my outside downlighters changed from 12v mr16 20 watt halogens to mains voltage gu10 1 watt led units. I dont know the first thing about this but i want to know if this is ok. I realise they wont be as bright but thats fine.I want to order the parts soon and dont want to get something that cant be used.

Yes this is ok. You can actually get 12v MR16 bulbs in LED now so you wouldn't have to change the fittings. However, if you want to change to mains voltage you will most likely have to change the fitting aswell as the bulb. Ensure you get PVC fittings as they are going outside.

The LED bulbs nowadays are almost as bright as the old ones and with the fittings would be available in all electrical Wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

one thing to note, 220V LED fittings are great, changing over from 12V MR 16 fittings involves removing the transformer and changing the lamp holder to GU10, this also drops off a lossy traffo.
    However transformers provide isolation protection, desirable in certain conditions the 12V LED may be a good option for you as recommended above, and +1 for selecting the correct IP rated external downlight

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting-lamps_lighting_downlighters_gu10-mains-downlights_outdoor-gu10-downlights.html?osCsid=d6f3e6fc731bd92d334a38a78502c1c1
    This is the lampholder i was going to get, but its a bit pricy I think. Any one know where i might get a better deal?
    You may have to PM me. Not sure on rules in here.
    Got 1w bulb and transformer/regulator for €5 each in b&q if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

nantony98 wrote: »
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting-lamps_lighting_downlighters_gu10-mains-downlights_outdoor-gu10-downlights.html?osCsid=d6f3e6fc731bd92d334a38a78502c1c1
    This is the lampholder i was going to get, but its a bit pricy I think. Any one know where i might get a better deal?
    You may have to PM me. Not sure on rules in here.
    Got 1w bulb and transformer/regulator for €5 each in b&q if anyone is interested.
    Should pick them up for about a fiver inc vat in your local electrical wholesaler. Depends what type of led bulb you want to put in then and how much you're willing to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You want to know the lumens not the watts. It is the lumens that dictates how much light is emitted so buying cheap bulbs probably means the light output is not as high as you think. LED's use circuitry which is either quality or budget so you pays your money and takes your choice. I believe LED's are the way forward but it is emerging and improving technology and often little understood. Do research before you buy. Then what you buy will achieve your goals and save you money in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

freddyuk wrote: »
    You want to know the lumens not the watts. It is the lumens that dictates how much light is emitted so buying cheap bulbs probably means the light output is not as high as you think. LED's use circuitry which is either quality or budget so you pays your money and takes your choice. I believe LED's are the way forward but it is emerging and improving technology and often little understood. Do research before you buy. Then what you buy will achieve your goals and save you money in the long run.

Well i think most are interested in the wattage per bulb these days. So the watts are relevant. If a Led gu10 is almost as bright as a 50 watt gu10, why will people go for the led one i wonder? It has less lumens, but may still be preferable.

So its the lumens per watt that is of the real relevance.

Advertisement