Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruiserweight division in the UFC?

• 22-10-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on introducing a cruiserweight division into the UFC.
    Personally I think there should be a cruiserweight division introduced in the future, but not just yet.

On one hand you have the likes of Brock Lesnar, Overeem and Big foot, walking around at close to 300lbs and cutting down for their fights. And then facing smaller guys like Cro-Cop etc. Between the official weigh-in and the actual fight I'm sure the weight difference is astronomical.

But on the other hand, at the minute I don't think there's enough guys on the roster to warrant yet another weight class being introduced.

In my opinion, with the growth of the sport and the increasingly stacked divisions, it may get to a point where the heavyweight division gets crowded enough and there is a big gap in weight between the really big guys and the "not so big" guys, that a cruiserweight division will be good for the organisation and fighters alike. But I think it might be a bit of time before it gets to that stage yet.

So what do you think?

Should a Cruiserweight division be introduced into the UFC? 23 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    39% 9 votes
    Maybe
    60% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Not a daft idea but there is no point introducing the division because you will get a lack of participation in it. The problem with weight in the HW division isn't that big of an issue anymore. The top fighters (cain, JDS, nog, mir, barnett, werdum) all fight at about 240-250. Also, shane carwin is dropping his weight to that mark.

Just because Lesnar and Big foot are just giants doesn't mean that a division has to be created because they are naturally bigger than everyone else. Makes no sense at this moment in time. Also, Lesnar and Big foot aren't exactly great dominant fighters in the HW division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

dean i'm sure you're probably new to watching the sport. I can assure you the idea of a cruiserwight division has been mooted a few times and it won't be happening. Welcome to the forums, enjoy.

It's a good idea but it will never happen.
    We had 5 champs that even the casual fans knew about, then the awesome lighter divisions came in and the casuals are finding it hard to tune in to names like Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber. Having 7 champs is enough imo.
    They're thinking of a Flyweight division in 2012 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

dean i'm sure you're probably new to watching the sport. I can assure you the idea of a cruiserwight division has been mooted a few times and it won't be happening. Welcome to the forums, enjoy.

:confused:
    No I'm not new.
    I was just asking a question and seeing what peoples opinions are on it.
    Cheers for the patronising comment though. Great input. :rolleyes:

It's a good idea but it will never happen.
    We had 5 champs that even the casual fans knew about, then the awesome lighter divisions came in and the casuals are finding it hard to tune in to names like Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber. Having 7 champs is enough imo.
    They're thinking of a Flyweight division in 2012 too.

Yeah that's a fair point.
    The reason I asked the question is a friend of mine asked me the same question the other day and then by coincidence I bought Fighters Only magazine yesterday and there was an article about it in there too, so I just thought I'd see what peoples opinions were.
    As I said I think there's no need for the division right now, but in the future it may be a good idea if the Heavyweight division fills up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The only fights I have seen that could be classed as cruiserweight have been, IMO, kinda crap. Granted, they've been with the likes of Bob Sapp and an overweight Tim Sylvia who aren't exactly the best examples of the (potential) division, but I really don't think that there enough people of that physical size to create a large enough talent pool to make an entertaining division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Would be a very bad idea IMO, it wasn't so long ago, maybe 3yrs, that the HW division was very very weak,damn, even had Timmmmmyy as HW Champ!! now it's picking up but how long will that last??

If it ain't broke don't fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The only fights I have seen that could be classed as cruiserweight have been, IMO, kinda crap. Granted, they've been with the likes of Bob Sapp and an overweight Tim Sylvia who aren't exactly the best examples of the (potential) division, but I really don't think that there enough people of that physical size to create a large enough talent pool to make an entertaining division.

Unless i'm mistaken i reckon Cruiserweight would fall between Light Heavy and Heavy divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Unless i'm mistaken i reckon Cruiserweight would fall between Light Heavy and Heavy divisions.

Cruiserweight (MMA), division in mixed martial arts with upper weight limit at 230 lb (104.3 kg).

So yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

D'oh!

I was sure what your were getting at at all :D:D

A 230 division sounds great at first, its a much better step up for the likes of Jon Jones, Rampage, Shogun.
    But when you include HW fighters starting to cut weight, a 230 division wipes out the 265 division, leaving a very small window that stay at HW.

Weight differences are a lot less important when you are talking about 240+ guys, technique and improved cardio are going to be the future of the HW div. The overweight behemoth is gone.

Most importantly, the UFC (or any similar promotion) couldn't start up a cruiserweight division even if they wanted to. It's not on the list of 9 divisions allowed by the athletic commisions. So there very few venues where they could have the fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'd be very supporting of a 230 division. Guys like Griffen won't be able to cut to 205 for ever and 265 is way too big of a jump. Obviously dana will not do it for years until we've got a much deeper pool of guys cutting to make 265.

I'd be very supporting of a 230 division. Guys like Griffen won't be able to cut to 205 for ever and 265 is way too big of a jump. Obviously dana will not do it for years until we've got a much deeper pool of guys cutting to make 265.

What do you mean by this phrase?

Are you an employee of the UFC.

What interest have you in the company that entitles you to refer to the entity as if you are a part of it?

You're no more than an internet fanboy warrior like the rest of us here, please don't pretend and mislead posters into thinking that you have any involvement with the company. It's deceptive and makes people think that perhaps you are speaking as a proxy for dana and the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to use the first person pleural to imply I have a role in the activities of the UFC. I do not have any such role and I regret giving that impression.

What interest have you in the company that entitles you to refer to the entity as if you are a part of it?

You're no more than an internet fanboy warrior like the rest of us here, please don't pretend and mislead posters into thinking that you have any involvement with the company. It's deceptive and makes people think that perhaps you are speaking as a proxy for dana and the UFC.
    What absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    What absolute nonsense.

Agreed. Every football fan I know refers to the team they support as "we" etc. It's a simple phrase.

Overreaction of the week award goes to demolitionman...

What's your problem??

First you make a ridiculously patronising comment to me for starting a simple thread to get a discussion going. And then you make an equally ridiculous comment that was totally uncalled for. Your last comment was either a crazy over reaction or your just trying to be awkward and start an argument.

Troll aside.
    The point about guys like Forrest and Bones and the other big 205'ers was very valid.
    Still think it's one belt too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Overreaction of the week award goes to demolitionman...

must be on his period :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think you'd be struggling to find more than one person who thought that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Mellor wrote: »

Weight differences are a lot less important when you are talking about 240+ guys, technique and improved cardio are going to be the future of the HW div. The overweight behemoth is gone.

I think thats spot on, maybe a year ago when it was all talk of carwin/lesner the future of the heavy weight division looked like you had to be a 265+ beast, even Mir put on loads of muscle to compete, but JDS and Cain have changed that around and the more mobile fighter with Cardio looks like the future.

It is a jump from 205 to 265 but i think the ufc has enough belts, and with the 2 new belts,they should give those champions time to settle in and become better known before adding another

pauldoo wrote: »
    I think thats spot on, maybe a year ago when it was all talk of carwin/lesner the future of the heavy weight division looked like you had to be a 265+ beast, even Mir put on loads of muscle to compete, but JDS and Cain have changed that around and the more mobile fighter with Cardio looks like the future.

It is a jump from 205 to 265 but i think the ufc has enough belts, and with the 2 new belts,they should give those champions time to settle in and become better known before adding another
    I know the division jump is 65lbs, but remember a 205er walks around at 225 or so. And 245+ appears to be competitive for HW. So the jump might only need to be 20lbs. Which is more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

thats true but what happens when the LHW comes up against lesner/carwin. Say if jones stepped up, i think he could really compete against JDS/Cain,, say he wins, Lenser is next in line, the size difference is far to big.

On another note, theres an interview on bjpenn.com with frank mir, he says lesner beats overeem all day long, i agree, overeem is on his back and getting pounded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On another note, theres an interview on bjpenn.com with frank mir, he says lesner beats overeem all day long, i agree, overeem is on his back and getting pounded

I read that the other day, good interview.

Glad to hear some maturity from Mir. He seems to have gotten over his obsession with Brock which was IMO threatening to derail his career because he was looking beyond every opponent and thinking about a rematch.

I also agree with his summary of Brock-Reem. The only danger for Brock is eating a knee or getting guillotined during the takedown but I don't see him shooting from the outside. He'll force Reem to the cage and then drop down for a leg(s).

SidJustice apologised for his comment so I think you will all find I was vindicated in that regard.

He was deceptively portraying himself to be an employee of the UFC, I didn't want new fans like deano to get confused and misled thinking that UFC employees come onto the forums to post/discuss with fans.

Surely you can all appreciate my intentions were in the right place.

SidJustice apologised for his comment so I think you will all find I was vindicated in that regard.

He was deceptively portraying himself to be an employee of the UFC, I didn't want new fans like deano to get confused and misled thinking that UFC employees come onto the forums to post/discuss with fans.

Surely you can all appreciate my intentions were in the right place.

Well your clearly attempting to start an argument here and tbh its a poor attempt at trolling.
    Why don't you contribute something to the thread/forum instead of making stupid posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Let's get back on topic and leave this bitchfest alone, thread carefully

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

thats true but what happens when the LHW comes up against lesner/carwin. Say if jones stepped up, i think he could really compete against JDS/Cain,, say he wins, Lenser is next in line, the size difference is far to big.

That's not what I meant. I wasn't taking about Jones jumping in right now, i was talkign about if he was moving up, he only needs to add 20lbs (not 40-60) to be in the range of the competitive HW guys.
    I think you'l find he was being sarcastic. There is nothing wrong with the use of "we".
    For example, "We have 137 this weekend and we should get a great main event out of BJ and Diaz"

Anyway. I think my post important point was ignored.
    A 230 division is currently outside the limits in most juridcitions, so simply can't happen.

Advertisement