Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options
  • 22-10-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi All,

I just thought Id start a thread on this. Has anyone experienced it? Up til recently I had experienced it about half a dozen times in my life.

Lately though, I experience it on a nightly basis.... Its indeed a terrifying experience and during it I can hear voices around me talking to each other but not to me.

But I suppose its not as terrifying as it first was.... probably getting used to it.

Anyone experience it or any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

I used to have this when I was younger. I dont know if hallucination is common along with it but once I thought the devil was in my room while experiencing it. Scared the sh*** out of me. I'll just clarify that I was in sixth class so not drunk or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

this thread again.

i've never had it, and hope i never do. then again, i've never had a lucid dream either, though i really want one...

i guess I'm just a boring sleeper :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Why is this in the Paranormal forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roro1876

I suffered with this for years, would wake up every night not being able to move, feeling like something was on top of me and hearing voices ect.....

When said it to the doc she couldnt understand it, was only when i looked it up online i found out what it was.....

i havent wonken up like that in about 2 years after having it every most nights since 1 was 14 so maybe it will pass for you.

I found that if i just relaxed when it start happening it would pass much quicker, easier said than done i know as its a frightening experience. Hope it passes soon for you tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

DjFlin wrote: »
    Why is this in the Paranormal forum?

It's my opinion that a number of Paranormal experiences can be explained by sleep paralysis. Could be the same for the OP and that's why they put it here, but I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've gotten it 2 or 3 times in my lifetime,hope I never get it again,hasn't it got something to do with the way you sleep or sumthing? e.g. sleeping on your back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

roro1876 wrote: »
    When said it to the doc she couldnt understand it, was only when i looked it up online i found out what it was.....

Then she's a useless doctor. It's a very common experience.

I think most people either avoid going to the doctor, try to forget about it, and some think it's a supernatural experience.

For me, it's mostly caused by extreme exhaustion. I've had the sleep paralysis and the super real dreaming (that's where you know you're in a dream, but everything is in real time and you can touch things, and it seems like the real world )

I've woken up in bed, completely paralysed, with a cold, dead, and rotting woman wrapped around me. I would know she was not real - but for the few minutes I was trapped, she'd seem very real.

Other experiences I've had. Waking up paralysed, see the sink in my bathroom, with hair pouring out of it, and the girl from The Ring climbing out of the sink, then running at me and jumping on me, and putting her hands on my face. It would seem very real, but I knew it was just the sleep paralysis and dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I experienced this for the first time after a funeral last week. I saw a man wrap his fingers around one of my wardrobe doors and then peak out from behind it. I physically could not move away from this to hide under the covers like I desperately wanted to!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive had this in the past but not lately. In previous threads people spoke of being aware of 'the old hag' a creepy lady figure that is common in this type of experience. I never had that, with me it was a big guy in a dark coat, like the sandman. The paralysis was very unsettling when you can feel this figure coming towards you. :)

Not quite the same, but I also heard a child knocking on the patio door to my room one night. I thought I was awake as I got up to let him in. It was only when I caught his wrist and he was cold, wet and covered in sand, that I woke with fright and was surprised to find I was still in bed. :) Dreams can be very convincing!

The thing I've always found most interesting with sleep paralysis is the common themes. People tend to experience similar things or see similar figures during it. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 pants20

Oryx wrote: »
    Ive had this in the past but not lately. In previous threads people spoke of being aware of 'the old hag' a creepy lady figure that is common in this type of experience. I never had that, with me it was a big guy in a dark coat, like the sandman. The paralysis was very unsettling when you can feel this figure coming towards you. :)

Not quite the same, but I also heard a child knocking on the patio door to my room one night. I thought I was awake as I got up to let him in. It was only when I caught his wrist and he was cold, wet and covered in sand, that I woke with fright and was surprised to find I was still in bed. :) Dreams can be very convincing!

The thing I've always found most interesting with sleep paralysis is the common themes. People tend to experience similar things or see similar figures during it. I wonder why that is?

Well one of the nights last week i saw the figure on top of me and it was actually a well dressed man in this mid to late 40's... He was trying to get his point accross to me and I felt he was a doctor....... weird.... only time I'd see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I've experienced it a couple of times myself, the first time was quite freaky but now that I know what it is I just relax and it will pass.
    Sleep Paralysis can be brought on by many different things, two of the main culprits are exhaustion and stress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

krd wrote: »

I've woken up in bed, completely paralysed, with a cold, dead, and rotting woman wrapped around me. I would know she was not real - but for the few minutes I was trapped, she'd seem very real.

Holy crap :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Oryx wrote: »

The dream that comes with sleep paralysis is very realistic. I just know this from a few other people, I know, who've experienced it. One of the experiences, is believing that you're out of bed and then you can be zapped back to being paralysed in bed. Or, you can even be sleep walking - and you're still dreaming, but everything will seem real.

I've had the experiences a few times now. They're rare (it's only happened to me twice this year - and it wasn't that bad )- they're unpleasant, but I'm aware of what it is, so it's not that scary. This year - one night - I woke up, and I could see a severed hand, clasping mine - it felt cold, it looked rotten and dead, but it gripping tightly.

I tried banging it off the wall, and things, trying to get it off my hand. After hitting is a few times, it changes before my eyes from a severed hand to my own hand. My hands were clasped together and I couldn't separate them. After a few minutes, I was able to separate them. And I went back to sleep - this repeated itself a few times through out the night - except each other time, I didn't pay much attention to it.

I've never had the old hag appearing. But the most common one, which is the most scariest, is the girl (like the girl from the ring). I've woken up, completely paralysed, and seen her at the other end of the room. And then she runs and she's so heavy, her footsteps make huge thump noises, and when she jumps and lands on me, she knocks the wind out of me. And she is cold, wet and soggy, even smells. Very realistic. But I'm concious enough to know, it's not really happening.

Sleep paralysis stories are actually great. Some people I know, just do not want to talk about them. The dreams (the old hag or whatever) tends to be the most terrifying thing your mind can conjure. It's like being in a horror film.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

i used to suffer from this a lot. I have had the old hag, aliens drilling into my head, being choked, sat on/pressure on chest etc and vampires hovering over me. The most terrifying ones are the ones where you hear something approaching that you know is bad/evil, yet you can't see it and you can't move.
    I definitely agree with the sleeping on your back bit. If i do sleep on my back which is rare I almost always experience this. Good thread. Love hearing the different personal experiences.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Had the weirdest experience last nite,woke up and it felt like the covers were being dragged off me :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

ive had all kinds of crazy sleep experiences, paralysis included accompanied by cinematic horror dream....sounds wierd but i like when stuff like that happens..usually means something big is moving from my sub-conscious into my consciousness, or trying to anyway

another explanation ive heard for strange sleep phenomena is solar flares, particularly among sensitives

• Registered Users Posts: 46 pants20

lolo62 wrote: »
    ive had all kinds of crazy sleep experiences, paralysis included accompanied by cinematic horror dream....sounds wierd but i like when stuff like that happens..usually means something big is moving from my sub-conscious into my consciousness, or trying to anyway

another explanation ive heard for strange sleep phenomena is solar flares, particularly among sensitives

Hi Lolo, can you explain what you mean by solar flares?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Haven't had sleep paralysis in years, thank God.

I have woken up to a rotting corpse in my room, rats jumping on my bed and even had Death knock three times on the door of my apartment building, then the apartment and then my room. (That's what you get for watching Ingmar Bergmann films :rolleyes:) Managed to break out of the paralysis to shout Fcuk off at him! When it's just the paralysis I can calm myself down and wait it out, but when the audio/visuals accompany it I have no idea what's going on and it's terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I shouldn't have read this cos not I'm scared **** less :-O My dad always goes on about having it but I never believe him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

pants20 wrote: »
    Hi Lolo, can you explain what you mean by solar flares?

... massive amounts of energy are released from the sun during solar flares and this can be felt as strong charges in the body (if you are sensitive to energy)

makes sense to me considering they can cause radio blackouts etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement