Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Waste Collection - Are we being conned?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I recently received a letter in the post indicating the the private operator who is collecting waste on behalf of South Dublin Co. Co. is 'changing' their price structure which will now include an annual flat fee of €60 in addition to a charge per lift/weight. I decided to look into what other operators were out there for West Dublin and how much it would cost to use them. Little did I expect that it would prove so difficult and complicated to compare or get a good deal that encourages people to minimise their waste production.
    I decided to create a spreadsheet to compare prices and offers (which I have attached for anyone interested - prices as far as I can make out are applicable for South / West Dublin but it's not an exact science as the info is provided in so many different formats).
    There does not appear to be any requirement for these private operators to provide the information in a comparable form so, as a customer, I can make an informed decision regarding the best option for myself.
    Has anyone else been more successful figuring this out?

As far as I can make out from my calculations, anyone who works hard to minimise their waste production is now going to have to subsidise those people who won't because private waste collection operators are focussed on marketing and profit rather than reducing waste production.
    Where is the government policy on this? I thought we were supposed to be trying to reduce waste rather than support those who won't bother.
    All comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Here, its free to have your green bin of recycling collected and you can deposit 1 bag of land fill waste for €4.50 in the compactor in the service station. You'd have to compost the brown bin stuff yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Looks good, if you could put lines between the boxes will be easier to read, you mention that you look at South Dublin providers only but some listed in the file do not cover that area so maybe better to edit file or text

Hope you don't mind me adding some comments from same research done a few months back also for old South Dublin Co. Co. now with Thorntons.

Thorntons in South Dublin is per lift only, I think the 400kg weight shown is for other Areas they cover outside Dublin. Collection is every second week

Panda doesn't cover South Dublin according to the website.

Advance: my understanding from their website is that you pay the Annual fee and no extra Collection per lift and can take it out every week fo the year or if you want a Pay as you with the initial €20 and after per collection.

Greenstar doesn't cover South Dublin according to the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    you can deposit 1 bag of land fill waste for €4.50 in the compactor in the service station.

sounds like a cheaper option, where is this ?

anyone know of a service like this in dublin so i can avoid the yearly fee of 110 up front and then 8 per bin

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

There's been a bit of discussion on this very subject in the West Dublin Forum - page 4 onwards of this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056217267&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

€20 A month with CityBin, good service, all 3 bins, flat fee..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

We got a brown bin over a year ago and it hasn't been used once.

I mean why should I pay to have it lifted if I have to pay to have the black one lifted too :confused:

Sure just throw everything bar the recyclables in the black one, by the time we'd have filled the brown bin the back one would have been out 50 times yet I see our neighbours brown one out fairly regular regular, what the hell are they putting in it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Which company are you with that you have to pay for brown bin lifts? I thought the whole point was that they were supposed to be free to encourage people to compost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

seagull wrote: »
    Which company are you with that you have to pay for brown bin lifts? I thought the whole point was that they were supposed to be free to encourage people to compost more.

I agree with you that should be free to encourage composting but all or most companies charges you for brown bin lifts, always been like that even when SDCC was doing the collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

calex71 wrote: »
    We got a brown bin over a year ago and it hasn't been used once.

Sure just throw everything bar the recyclables in the black one, by the time we'd have filled the brown bin the back one would have been out 50 times yet I see our neighbours brown one out fairly regular regular, what the hell are they putting in it :confused:

Grass cuttings from the lawn. Shrub/Bush/Hedge/Tree trimmings.

Or else they drink ALOT of tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

thorntons offer a flat fee for all 3 bins
    but god help you should anything go wrong
    they have the worst customer service i have ever encountered
    you might as well go out and talk to the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

James. wrote: »
    sounds like a cheaper option, where is this ?

anyone know of a service like this in dublin so i can avoid the yearly fee of 110 up front and then 8 per bin

http://www.bigbin.ie/

You'll have to double bag the rubbish and line you boot, just in case! but the service station is at the end of the road so the rubbish isn't in the car for long. It would be great if you had a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

nava wrote: »
    I agree with you that should be free to encourage composting but all or most companies charges you for brown bin lifts, always been like that even when SDCC was doing the collections.

Our brown bin lifts are free with panda, and were also free with Fingal CC. That's out in north county Dublin, so it's not really of any relevance with regards south Dublin services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yeah except Panda are taking over Fingals service from next week and won't be collecting brown bin anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

tessadyl wrote: »
    I recently received a letter in the post indicating the the private operator who is collecting waste on behalf of South Dublin Co. Co. is 'changing' their price structure which will now include an annual flat fee of €60 in addition to a charge per lift/weight. I decided to look into what other operators were out there for West Dublin and how much it would cost to use them. Little did I expect that it would prove so difficult and complicated to compare or get a good deal that encourages people to minimise their waste production.
    I decided to create a spreadsheet to compare prices and offers (which I have attached for anyone interested - prices as far as I can make out are applicable for South / West Dublin but it's not an exact science as the info is provided in so many different formats).
    There does not appear to be any requirement for these private operators to provide the information in a comparable form so, as a customer, I can make an informed decision regarding the best option for myself.
    Has anyone else been more successful figuring this out?

As far as I can make out from my calculations, anyone who works hard to minimise their waste production is now going to have to subsidise those people who won't because private waste collection operators are focussed on marketing and profit rather than reducing waste production.
    Where is the government policy on this? I thought we were supposed to be trying to reduce waste rather than support those who won't bother.
    All comments welcome.

You don't have access waste on your sheet. I can't remember what the deal is with them, but the better half signed our bins over from Greyhound to Access a couple of weeks ago.

Advertisement