Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Gallagher why is he doing so well in the polls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ya you have a point there. Gallagher has been cute in playing the disability card. He is probably taking some of Davis' votes. I also read lately in the paper that Davis was a member on about 15 (that number is prob out) boards but was paid for her role on only 3/4 of them. She got blemished by the media very early on and has never recovered. If she had got some momentum she could have been a very capable candidate. I think she fits the role better than many of the candidates (maybe not on constitution matters but on the 'on the ground activities').
    I'm not a Davis supporter by any means but she did huge work to bring special needs kids into the limelight and brought a lot of respect for their achievements, something that was not there before. The media definitely took a dislike to her and I think her Special K posters did her a lot of damage. I believe her family are involved in PR but it seems they did her more harm than good.

I think Gallagher has also built a huge amount of identity through his Dragons Den appearances. I'd fully admit that I was impressed by him...at least he came across well and seemed decent but the recent revelations have shown him up to be another cute hoor. I thought the article in the Indo about the young fella looking for his advice and been badly treated, showed Gallagher in a very bad light. He was only after the soft easy buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Daniel S wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he has more money than you. :pac:

IMO the reason he is doing so well is there's no alternative (when you dumb it down big time):

Michael D Higgins = Leprechaun
    Martin McGuinness = Terrorist
    David Norris = Israel
    Mary Davis = Quangos
    Dana = :rolleyes::D
    Gay Mitchell = Only there to stop Martin McGuinness.

So therefore Sean Gallagher is the best of a load of rubbish candidates, as the only thing against him is he was part of Fianna Fáil (which most of the country supported, so can you blame him?). He's a businessman, its in his interest to make "contacts" in government.

I know very little about the presidential candidates because I won't be voting, but I've seen "dumbed down" versions like this all over the place and everytime everyone seems to have a serious-ish reason... Apart from Higgins. It's always 'leprechaun,' 'midget' or 'shortarse' :D

If I was to vote without reading up it would probably be him! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

David Norris = Israel
    Mary Davis = Quangos
    Michael D Higgins = Loves the Unions
    David Norris = Israel
    Mary Davis = Quangos
    Gay Mitchell = Thinks Ireland should join the common-wealth

It would seem that people think an ex-FF'er is better than the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

IMO the reason he is doing so well is there's no alternative (when you dumb it down big time):

Indeed, if you have to resort to personal insults to justify picking Gallagher. Is this the mentality of the average SG voter, if so I'm more worried by this fact rather than Gallagher getting in.
    He's a businessman, its in his interest to make "contacts" in government.
    Yes, fair play to him, but there's a place for that - in business and not in government. The office of president isn't to be used as a conduit for personal networking. We're not electing Sean Gallagher PLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

I propose that everyone who is aghast at the idea of Sean Gallagher being elected our next President launch our own collective campaign and get onto our mobiles, email, Twitter accounts - heck even talk to strangers on the street - and implore people to vote Sean Gallagher LAST on their polling card. Explain to them that a vote for him is the same as giving the thumbs up for all of the austerity and payment levees which we, the common people, are landed with due to the actions of his cronies.

As the Pattie Smith song goes "People Have The Power to redeem the work of fools". Spread the word people! Now how's that for some real entrepreneurship!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

WAKE UP and smell the roses The presidential job is not really a political post of any power , it is really the post of PR person for the country. They will become the public face of this state. Line them up in turn in front of the tricolour and tell me which one gives the country a better image to the outsiders. Which image will say to tourists lets go there for a holiday, which picture will impress on foreign industrialists the rebirth of this nation from the ashes of the wastrels who have gone before, who will make this country smile again, there is only one answer.

This is just untrue, the president has to read legislation and has some powers in this regard and it isn't a business type PR position.

It is representing the nation abroad. In this regard, SG has no experience at all and doesn't seem like he is clued into the few powers the position actually has. Seems to have gotten caught out questions on it a few times.
    I think Gallagher has also built a huge amount of identity through his Dragons Den appearances. I'd fully admit that I was impressed by him...at least he came across well and seemed decent but the recent revelations have shown him up to be another cute hoor. I thought the article in the Indo about the young fella looking for his advice and been badly treated, showed Gallagher in a very bad light. He was only after the soft easy buck.

This really annoys me that some people will vote for him because he is that man from that Dragon Den's show. Celebrity candidates make me feel slightly ill.

He is basically the Homer Simpson/George Bush character from what I can see. I think Ireland deserves better as its president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

thebman wrote: »
    This is just untrue, the president has to read legislation and has some powers in this regard and it isn't a business type PR position.

It is representing the nation abroad. In this regard, SG has no experience at all and doesn't seem like he is clued into the few powers the position actually has. Seems to have gotten caught out questions on it a few times.

This really annoys me that some people will vote for him because he is that man from that Dragon Den's show. Celebrity candidates make me feel slightly ill.

He is basically the Homer Simpson/George Bush character from what I can see. I think Ireland deserves better as its president.

That's why a friend of mine is voting for him, Same bloke isn't really interested in politics and will just go with the flow, Pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Hope that Sean "kaizer soze" Gallagher photo goes viral on the emails this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i certinally wouldent vote for sean gallagher i just dont trust him i dont hold much faith in the others either iv never seen such a sleezy presidential campaign as this one before and please would someone put a gag on that dana one she pissess me off big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

A vote for Gallagher endorses the reckless FF/property bubble corruption gombeenism that sank the country.
    Do people not realise he is* a member of Fianna Fail?
    Its a slap in the face to the people who've lost their jobs, who have to emigrate, or who are going without food to pay mortgages.
    Do people think this "celebrity" is going to create jobs or stimulate the economy? He'll probably try to get planning permission for a housing estate behind the Aras.

If he's elected, shame on the electorate. Just when you think people could't get any more stupid.

* I don't care if he left. Seriously, I don't give a f**k. He's a FF'er.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Indeed, if you have to resort to personal insults to justify picking Gallagher. Is this the mentality of the average SG voter, if so I'm more worried by this fact rather than Gallagher getting in.
    Our electorate has consistantly proved that it is full of utter morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

David Norris = Israel
    Mary Davis = Quangos

So therefore Sean Gallagher is the best of a load of rubbish candidates, as the only thing against him is he was part of Fianna Fáil (which most of the country supported, so can you blame him?). He's a businessman, its in his interest to make "contacts" in government.

What a load of tripe! Is there really so little against Michael D that the best slur that you can come up with is leprechaun ?

Give me a leprechaun over an FFer any day - at least the pots of gold they promise might actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

so FF brought the country to its knees. and what do we do - vote in a FF hack into the presidency. Yup, we deserve everything we get, if that happens.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Because he is being positive, and has remained surprising positive in the face of savage media attacks - something which no other candidates have been able to do.

But this is the exact modus operandi of one of the greatest crooks to have "graced" this stage. B. Aherne.
    Almost the exact same way in "dealing" with awkward questions, ie, not actually answering them honestly.

He's so integrated with FF it really makes me sick and he represents a large part of why this country is where it is today.

I do suspect he is getting PR advice from whoever Bertie used and people in this country are yet again having the wool pulled over their eyes.

While I realise the president has very little power, this guy, as a head of this country will just keep reminding me of the past, despite his take of the future and we'll have him there for seven fecking years.

As an asside, MMG has also done pretty much the same things when it has come to the media yet people, because of his past aren't so forgiving.
    I'm not a MMG voter, just making a point.

I've said it numerous times but I despair at this presidential election and the people partaking in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

headmaster wrote: »
    You forget one thing, he's a FF'r and we take care of our own. Some silly people thought there was no back, how wrong they were, how very, very, wrong. Great stunt by M Martin, fooled ya, didn't he? Ha ha ha :)

that's not funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

kippy wrote: »
    I've said it numerous times but I despair at this presidential election and the people partaking in it.

+100

I think this is the reason this guy is riding high, as well as his (apparent) straight talking and "I won't slag off the others" approach, his general 'greyness' is why people are answering pollsters with his name.

Maybe people realise that the Aras job is a nothing and it doesn't matter who does it. They have no memory or interest in his FF affiliation.

I cannot think of any other rationale for his heading the polls.

BTW, what would have happend if Bertie had gone forward?? Just a thought, but if this guy can get in, what would we have done with Bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

People read too much into Gallaghers FF past, when in reality it has f-all to do with politics, the Presidency has nothing to do with politics, in reality if Bertie had been made President 7 years ago we may be in a better position because he would have no impact on how the country was being run and we can all agree that would have been a good thing.

If you want to weaken a politicians influence on the day to day running of the country then make them president.

In my opinion i see Gallaghers surge as a sign that people are fed up of the old political bullsh1t, the kind of bull and bluster that the likes of Mitchell has been coming out with and in reality Higgins is no better.

Leave Dana aside cos she is nuts, the other candidates Gallagher aside have all milked the system for their entire careers wheras gallagher, like him or not he is a self made man.

BTW i wont be voting for Gallagher or any of them but i can see why people are voting for him rather than voting for 5 others who have spent their lives milking the system and are now just looking for the ultimate top job to milk ths system some more.

The Gallagher vote just shows for me the widening gap between politics in this country and the ordinary person on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 G20

An even bigger puzzle is how Gallagher can be leading in the polls, let not one Boards poster is ready to vote for him.
    This thread gives me reason to hope that the election results will be very different from the polls.
    There is only one experienced statesman-like figure among the seven. Need I spell it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I never took to Davis from the the start but I'm also baffled how she is doing so badly

Watch this interview, http://www.thejournal.ie/aras11-quickfire-video-quiz-mary-davis-260063-Oct2011/ If anyone even ticks her box on the ballot paper they should be ashamed of themselves, I fear a lot of people may do so without having a clue how much of a numpty she really is. Gallagher is not far behind her.

At this stage it should be between McGuinness & Micheal D, none of the other candidates should be on more than 5-10%. It looks like the media is deciding the outcome of this election, to me there the real terrorists in this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If he's elected, shame on the electorate. Just when you think people could't get any more stupid.

They're not stupid enough to think he's an independent, they're going to vote for him precisely because he's FF and so are they! 40% of the electorate vote FF, that's just the way it usually goes.

I've been voting against FF for nearly 30 years now, and mostly losing. But every now and then, we win one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

They're not stupid enough to think he's an independent, they're going to vote for him precisely because he's FF and so are they! 40% of the electorate vote FF, that's just the way it usually goes.

I've been voting against FF for nearly 30 years now, and mostly losing. But every now and then, we win one!

I was listening to a radio analysis, and it said he was sitting on 20%, until the FF story broke, and now all the people who are normal FF voters are jumping on him now they realise he's one of them. It's been building support for him, sadly. I'm hoping the initial 20% suddenly realise what they were voting for is not just the man on the t.v.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

"40% of the electorate vote FF".

That's a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

BarryM wrote: »
    Maybe people realise that the Aras job is a nothing and it doesn't matter who does it.
    The President is the head of state – the position does matter. Maybe not in terms of the day-to-day running of the state, but in representing the country abroad, it is important. Think of it in the context of going from Mary Robinson (who, I think most would agree, did a pretty good job in the role, even though many may not have liked her on a personal level), to Mary McAleese (a step down from Robinson, but did ok, although I wouldn’t agree with much of what she comes out with) to Seán Gallagher. Seán ****ing Gallagher. Seriously people?
    the kelt wrote: »
    In my opinion i see Gallaghers surge as a sign that people are fed up of the old political bullsh1t...
    Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

kippy wrote: »
    But this is the exact modus operandi of one of the greatest crooks to have "graced" this stage. B. Aherne.
    Almost the exact same way in "dealing" with awkward questions, ie, not actually answering them honestly.

He's so integrated with FF it really makes me sick and he represents a large part of why this country is where it is today.

I do suspect he is getting PR advice from whoever Bertie used and people in this country are yet again having the wool pulled over their eyes.

While I realise the president has very little power, this guy, as a head of this country will just keep reminding me of the past, despite his take of the future and we'll have him there for seven fecking years.

As an asside, MMG has also done pretty much the same things when it has come to the media yet people, because of his past aren't so forgiving.
    I'm not a MMG voter, just making a point.

So don't vote?

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    So don't vote?

I'll be voting - I always vote. That doesn't however negate my feelings.

the kelt wrote: »
    People read too much into Gallaghers FF past, when in reality it has f-all to do with politics, the Presidency has nothing to do with politics, in reality if Bertie had been made President 7 years ago we may be in a better position because he would have no impact on how the country was being run and we can all agree that would have been a good thing.

If you want to weaken a politicians influence on the day to day running of the country then make them president.

In my opinion i see Gallaghers surge as a sign that people are fed up of the old political bullsh1t, the kind of bull and bluster that the likes of Mitchell has been coming out with and in reality Higgins is no better.

Leave Dana aside cos she is nuts, the other candidates Gallagher aside have all milked the system for their entire careers wheras gallagher, like him or not he is a self made man.

BTW i wont be voting for Gallagher or any of them but i can see why people are voting for him rather than voting for 5 others who have spent their lives milking the system and are now just looking for the ultimate top job to milk ths system some more.

The Gallagher vote just shows for me the widening gap between politics in this country and the ordinary person on the street.

This is exactly what I am talking about.
    Gallaghers FF past is as relevant as MMG's past and indeed the past of any candidate.
    We all know the president can do fcuk all, however, they are getting a substantial salary, substantial pension and all the perks that any "normal" citizen of this country could want.

Gallagher and his team have done a great job in conning the public into believing he is a "self made man" - whatever that means, and a really good business man/charity worker when the evidence points in a completely different way.
    His businesses have thrived as a direct result of his connections with FF and indeed his business and as a result he himself has managed to "milk the system" in much the same way as any politician you can think of.
    Lots of evidence exists to support this.
    He has also used tag lines about his business that are completely absurd and his lack of clarity on the FF issue is shocking.

I don't trust the guy, I dont like his public attitude and ultimately I know very little about his demeanor/actual opinion or indeed what kind of a person he is, unlike some of the other candidates who have been in office for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wider Road wrote: »
    "40% of the electorate vote FF".

That's a lie.

I don't know where in the country you are, but I'll bet that your local authority is about 40% FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I don't know where in the country you are, but I'll bet that your local authority is about 40% FF.

FF currently = 19%

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

jbkenn wrote: »
    Oh, it's a retirement home all right, and in Sean Gallagher case it will be gravy all the way.
    SG is 47, after 7 year term where he will collect over €2 million in salary, he will 54, and entitled to full Presidential pension of €147,000 p.a.
    Average male life expectancy in Ireland is 80 years so he could theoretically collect about €4 million in pension, and as the missus is considerably younger than him she will be entitled to half his pension for her lifetime.
    Yup, he is some entrepreneur, spotted a guaranteed cash cow with no downside.
    this is the most relevant post in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

What i don't get about mr Gallagher is that he has repeatedly highlighted his pedigree as an entrepreneur, yet is willing to turn his back on his supposedly lucrative business interests in an attempt to get a job that is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. Surely he would do better work in creating jobs etc, by sticking to what he knows?

In response to what someone raised earlier about what he will go on to do after the presidency, I do fear that the role will be cheapened by electing this man and am having nightmares about him appearing on cash for gold tv ads in the future.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Our electorate has consistantly proved that it is full of utter morons.

Perfectly phrased.

Michael D Higgans while very short in height is no fool. While he has achieved nothing for this country he has worked extremely hard trying to.

I don't like people referring to him as a lephracaun. Its a little too personal for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Originally Posted by CiaranC View Post
    Our electorate has consistantly proved that it is full of utter morons
    Perfectly phrased.

Michael D Higgans while very short in height is no fool. While he has achieved nothing for this country he has worked extremely hard trying to.

I don't like people referring to him as a lephracaun. Its a little too personal for my liking.
    The electorate or 'utter morons' consistently elected Higgins in the past, i.e. contradictions.

I agree that personal comments on any of the candidates are stupid.

bluefinger wrote: »
    What i don't get about mr Gallagher is that he has repeatedly highlighted his pedigree as an entrepreneur, yet is willing to turn his back on his supposedly lucrative business interests in an attempt to get a job that is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. Surely he would do better work in creating jobs etc, by sticking to what he knows?

In response to what someone raised earlier about what he will go on to do after the presidency, I do fear that the role will be cheapened by electing this man and am having nightmares about him appearing on cash for gold tv ads in the future.

This "business" of his is pretty much non existent now. I drive through that industrial estate most days and if there is more than 3 cars in the car park I would be telling a lie.

Of course there is local transport but feck all

Smarthomes charged 2k to install a multiroom stereo system in my house when purchased. I rarely use it anyway but the three bathrooms speakers never worked. TV's upstairs had a flickering signal constantly. When I got an engineer in to correct the tv issue, it turned out the co-ax cabling was the cheapest spec he had ever seen. Had to rewire the whole bloody thing.

Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore put it clearly and simply this morning on Morning Ireland when he said that Michael D Higgins is the most experienced candidate for the job and that if we actually want someone who has the necessary qualifications to be our next President then it is incumbent on us to switch our votes to Michael D Higgins and also to persuade others to do the same and if we all do this then the opinion poll bridge can be gapped.

Link of podcast containing his comments is here (12 mins 17 seconds into it)
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-2410112ndhour34m50smorningireland-pid0-2090496.mp3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Colours wrote: »
    Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore put it clearly and simply this morning on Morning Ireland when he said that Michael D Higgins is the most experienced candidate for the job and that if we actually want someone who has the necessary qualifications to be our next President then it is incumbent on us to switch our votes to Michael D Higgins and also to persuade others to do the same and if we all do this then the opinion poll bridge can be gapped.

Link of podcast containing his comments is here (12 mins 17 seconds into it)
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-2410112ndhour34m50smorningireland-pid0-2090496.mp3

It is down to the electorate to determine who they view as being the most qualified candidate for the job - not Gilmore who clearly is annoyed that he cannot dictate who the next President will be.

The meltdown in Labour is quite amusing. They will not win the two elections they thought were certainties this coming Thursday - the presidential and the Dublin West by-election. Watch the squirming continue over the coming months as both FF & SF surpass Labour in the opinion polls after budget day.

Labour were arrogant to think that the presidency would just be handed to Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

This "business" of his is pretty much non existent now. I drive through that industrial estate most days and if there is more than 3 cars in the car park I would be telling a lie.

Of course there is local transport but feck all

Smarthomes charged 2k to install a multiroom stereo system in my house when purchased. I rarely use it anyway but the three bathrooms speakers never worked. TV's upstairs had a flickering signal constantly. When I got an engineer in to correct the tv issue, it turned out the co-ax cabling was the cheapest spec he had ever seen. Had to rewire the whole bloody thing.

And is your problem that the service was poor or that you were an idiot for paying 2k for a service you weren't happy with?

I suppose we should blame Sean Gallagher. He should personally go out and check that every one of his companies' clients is happy.

You're typical of what got this country into this mess in the first place. Not Sean Gallagher. If you're not happy with something, then make it known. Ask that it be redone and refuse to pay in full until it is corrected. Don't sit back with your head in the sand. Complaining on an internet forum isn;t going to do much.

All this FF talk about Gallagher from Higgins is ludicrous. Who was a serving TD in the last government? Gallagher wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lemlin wrote: »
    And is your problem that the service was poor or that you were an idiot for paying 2k for a service you weren't happy with?

I suppose we should blame Sean Gallagher. He should personally go out and check that every one of his companies' clients is happy.

You're typical of what got this country into this mess in the first place. Not Sean Gallagher. If you're not happy with something, then make it known. Ask that it be redone and refuse to pay in full until it is corrected. Don't sit back with your head in the sand. Complaining on an internet forum isn;t going to do much.

All this FF talk about Gallagher from Higgins is ludicrous. Who was a serving TD in the last government? Gallagher wasn't.

*Looks at posters location*
    *Shakes head slowly*

It is down to the electorate to determine who they view as being the most qualified candidate for the job - not Gilmore who clearly is annoyed that he cannot dictate who the next President will be.

Obviously it is down to the electorate to decide Sierra Oscar but Eamon Gilmore did speak basic common sense when he said that Michael D Higgins is the best qualified for the job. I detect a keen dislike from you towards all things Labour which is a shame. Similarly I don't understand the snide remarks that some people can't resist making about Labour. I don't get what part of their psyche it emanates from. Labour were the ones who reversed the savage and unforgivable cuts to the minimum wage nearly as soon as they got into government. They are in a political straightjacket to large degree in terms of the measures they can take to try to get this country back on its feet again due to the dire economic and fiscal situation they inherited from Fianna Fail. They also have to start rebuilding bonds and partnerships with other countries after Fianna Fail alienated our country by their fat cat vulgar excesses while they were in government. The Labour Party are the only ethical and pragmatic left leaning party with realistic and enforceable objectives in Irish Politics today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Obviously it is down to the electorate to decide Sierra Oscar but Eamon Gilmore did speak basic common sense when he said that Michael D Higgins is the best qualified for the job. I detect a keen dislike from you towards all things Labour which is a shame.

I still do not see why Higgins is necessarily best qualified for the job - what does that even mean? I just get the feeling that the Labour party felt they were entitled to the presidency this time around and that sense of entitlement comes across as, in my view, as arrogance.

I agree with you that Labour are in a very difficult place, and in many respects I do feel for the party in terms of the struggle that they face down the line.

All the same, whilst I will be voting Gallagher, my number two will be going to Higgins.

All the same, whilst I will be voting Gallagher, my number two will be going to Higgins.

Are you from a traditionally Fianna Fail background yourself Sierra out of interest?
    I still do not see why Higgins is necessarily best qualified for the job

Did you already lay out why you think that Sean Gallagher is more qualified for the job? Maybe I overlooked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 G20

Desist from the party political squabbling, lads.

The question is who is most suitable to represent our country to the outside world.

Michael D. without any doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

G20 wrote: »

The question is who is most suitable to represent our country to the outside world.

Apparently about 70 % of the electorate dont share that opinion !
    Fergus Finlay and his supporters clearly thought that as well.

G20 if you think that then ask your friends to ask their friends to give their Number One Vote to Michael D on Thursday and then ask them to ask their friends to.... you get the idea!

Are you from a traditionally Fianna Fail background yourself Sierra out of interest?

Did you already lay out why you think that Sean Gallagher is more qualified for the job? Maybe I overlooked it.

I am a member of Fianna Fáil, something which I have not been afraid to express on here in the past. However whether I was a member of Fianna Fáil or not I still reckon I would end up voting for Gallagher, as I find him the most appealing candidate.

Sean is someone who has devoted quite a lot of his time to good causes, through his involvement in charitable and voluntary work. I see him as someone who has given something back to society, whether it be through his involvement in community work or through his own enterprising work. I think he is someone who will represent Ireland exceptionally well abroad - he is youthful, charismatic and he does actually have an awareness of the things which affect communities and individuals on the ground. What I find perhaps most impressive is the fact that, despite others attempting to drag him into negative campaigning, he has remained with his message of positivity throughout the campaign. Most importantly, I think it is that sort of positivity that we as a nation need right now - and I think the opinion polls are reflecting this yearning for positivity amongst the electorate.

He is a steady bloke who will do us proud. That may sound like some sort of political broadcast on his behalf, but that is how I genuinely feel. I am no way involved in his campaign.

Also I do feel that too much emphasis is made of his FF connections. He is not a candidate standing on behalf of our party, and I think it would be foolish of any FF member to think that was the case and try and proclaim an FF victory if he does make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

mikom wrote: »
    *Looks at posters location*
    *Shakes head slowly*

Yes, indeed. A Cavan man would never pay 2k for a job they weren't happy with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Lemlin wrote: »

I think you will find his problem is the same one a lot of the rest of us have, i.e.; the fact that his enterprises seemed to catch a lot of entrepreneurial funds and when they dried up, so did his entrepreneurship.
    He has not been honest about the level of his proven involvement with FF nor the quality of the materials he used in his enterfeckingprise..... ... a business that operated the same way as the FF enterfeckingprise, the same enterfeckingprise that fecking ruined the enterfeckingprise called Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I am a member of Fianna Fáil, something which I have not been afraid to express on here in the past. However whether I was a member of Fianna Fáil or not I still reckon I would end up voting for Gallagher, as I find him the most appealing candidate.
    This is reason enough that the rest of the country needs to get out and vote against him.

CiaranC wrote: »
    This is reason enough that the rest of the country needs to get out and vote against him.

Do you believe that it is only FF members rowing in behind Gallagher?! Because I can tell you, from my own interaction with people outside of bubbles, people from across all political divides are supporting Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Labour were the ones who reversed the savage and unforgivable cuts to the minimum wage nearly as soon as they got into government.
    Or to put it another way, in the middle of a recession, Labour and FG raised the minimum wage by €1 per hour, so that now, the absolute minimum that an employer must pay someone aged 18 or over with zero previous experience and no qualifications is €324 for a full working week. That is absolute madness.
    Why do you think Gallagher is more suited to the presidency than Higgins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

An even bigger puzzle is how Gallagher can be leading in the polls, let not one Boards poster is ready to vote for him.
    This thread gives me reason to hope that the election results will be very different from the polls.
    There is only one experienced statesman-like figure among the seven. Need I spell it out?

Is that really so surprising ? I dont think so at all . Boards seems to veer very much to the left and ' liberal wing'.
    Even the mauling the farily innocuous Davis gets suggests that boards politics doesnt really represent the mainstream.

• Advertisement
Advertisement