Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Gallagher why is he doing so well in the polls?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

djpbarry wrote: »
    Why do you think Gallagher is more suited to the presidency than Higgins?

To be blatantly honest about it, and I know I will get a lot of criticism for this, I think he is not entirely up to the task. This is not necessarily an ageist thing, I am just concerned about his health. Whilst the man is mentally a genius he is physically not top notch at the moment and anyone who has met the man will know this.

The next president will have to do trojan work in order to promote Ireland internationally and I think Gallagher is more up to the task. The days of the president pontificating in the Aras are gone. This is not the only reason why I think Gallagher is more suitable for the role, but it is probably the one that stands out the most in my mind.

I know Ill get a rude reception for saying that, but it is how a lot of people feel and it is what I have been hearing on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

To be blatantly honest about it, and I know I will get a lot of criticism for this, I think he is not entirely up to the task. This is not necessarily an ageist thing, I am just concerned about his health. Whilst the man is mentally a genius he is physically not top notch at the moment and anyone who has met the man will know this.

The next president will have to do trojan work in order to promote Ireland internationally and I think Gallagher is more up to the task. The days of the president pontificating in the Aras are gone. This is not the only reason why I think Gallagher is more suitable for the role, but it is probably the one that stands out the most in my mind.

I know Ill get a rude reception for saying that, but it is how a lot of people feel and it is what I have been hearing on the ground.

I have to agree tbh. The man looks as if he is about to keel over. You wouldn't believe that there is only 8 years in age between him and Martin McGuinness for example. Look at the difference between the two in terms of general health.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

as we are in a democratic republic, im not afraid to tell you that i am going to vote for sean gallagher and only him, i am not going to give my no 2 etc to any of the others.
    i heard him speak a few years ago and he was very inspirational and was very upfront about how his smart homes biz needed to change and he changed how the business was run before it wnet under. i think all the others wouldnt have the insight to think outside the box, eg seans idea for no posters and only 1 capaign leaflet to every house, posters were needed long ago when media was limited but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

caddy2 wrote: »
    as we are in a democratic republic, im not afraid to tell you that i am going to vote for sean gallagher and only him, i am not going to give my no 2 etc to any of the others.
    i heard him speak a few years ago and he was very inspirational and was very upfront about how his smart homes biz needed to change and he changed how the business was run before it wnet under. i think all the others wouldnt have the insight to think outside the box, eg seans idea for no posters and only 1 capaign leaflet to every house, posters were needed long ago when media was limited but not now.

I got multiple SG leaflets in my house.

Yet another of his lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Martin Mc Guinness is already delivering jobs, He won't be pontificating he's even giving up his full salary and creating 6 jobs straight away. I don't get how you think Gallagher is more qualified or even in the same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

A Dragon's Den judge to be President of Ireland?? Are some people gone cracked altogether. Wouldn't vote for this spoofer even if he was the only one in the poll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Martin Mc Guinness is already delivering jobs, He won't be pontificating he's even giving up his full salary and creating 6 jobs straight away. I don't get how you think Gallagher is more qualified or even in the same league.

Ah yes, the very McGuinness who today was ranting about Gallaghers past in FF but is very quick to gloss over his past in an illegal paramilitary organisation.

That is one spoofer who will not even be getting a preference from me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

BQQ wrote: »
    I got multiple SG leaflets in my house.

Yet another of his lies.

One leaflet to each household was to contain each of the candidates and why they should be president. The rest, however, wouldn't agree to this. I got one addressed to myself and the other eligible voters in my household from the candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

darragh16 wrote: »
    One leaflet to each household was to contain each of the candidates and why they should be president. The rest, however, wouldn't agree to this. I got one addressed to myself and the other eligible voters in my household from the candidates.

Others wouldn't agree because leaflets had already been printed and SG knew that.

It was a publicity stunt and the proof of that is that he didn't limit himself to one per household.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

A vote for Sean Gallagher is a vote for Fianna Fail, and the party supporters are the only ones who will vote for him. How can we forget what FF did to this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah yes, the very McGuinness who today was ranting about Gallaghers past in FF but is very quick to gloss over his past in an illegal paramilitary organisation.

That organisation under one name or another was funded, armed and given shelter by the Irish State and it's people for hundreds of years.
    If you go into the past you'll see that labour, ff & fg all have illegal paramilitary organisation links.

A Spoofer:D I'd take him as a man of his word!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Sierra Martin McGuinness played an integral part in bringing about peace in Northern Ireland; you cannot deny that and it's irrespective of when he actually ceased to be a member of the IRA.

Seanie Gallagher on the other hand started a few businesses while he was thick as thieves with the Fianna Fail gang. And then Seanie made sure to pay himself a nice big fat cheque for over €80,000 for his efforts which was drawn from the company's ledgers in violation of company law.

Can you honestly say that the self aggrandizing achievements of Mr Gallagher trump those of Martin McGuiness?? Even the forefathers of your precious Fianna Fail would draw the line at that seeing as they were supposed to be the true patriots of the Irish Republic.

Colours wrote: »
    Sierra Martin McGuinness played an integral part in bringing about peace in Northern Ireland; you cannot deny that and it's irrespective of when he actually ceased to be a member of the IRA.

As were Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael the SDLP and in particular John Hume - who had to bring Gerry Adams and his crew kicking and screaming to the negotiation table to begin with. Don't be deluded in thinking that McGuinness brought about peace in Ireland solely by himself. He or his party/paramilitary did not even initialize the process and actively attempted to undermine it for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Moby wrote: »
    A vote for Sean Gallagher is a vote for Fianna Fail, and the party supporters are the only ones who will vote for him. How can we forget what FF did to this country.

The traditional Fianna Fail core vote was 39-40%, which is what Gallagher is getting in the opinion polls, no coincidence and surely no surprise that they've now started to return to the fold. Sean Gallagher is the Fianna Fail candidate in everything but name, as I'm sure we'll all be reminded, after the Presidential Election, if he wins.

However, given the daily drip, drip, drip of revelations in the media, about his 'successful' business career and his many connections with Fianna Fail, you would have to wonder what revelations may emerge after the election if he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

heyjude wrote: »
    The traditional Fianna Fail core vote was 39-40%, which is what Gallagher is getting in the opinion polls, no coincidence and surely no surprise that they've now started to return to the fold. Sean Gallagher is the Fianna Fail candidate in everything but name, as I'm sure we'll all be reminded, after the Presidential Election, if he wins.

However, given the daily drip, drip, drip of revelations in the media, about his 'successful' business career and his many connections with Fianna Fail, you would have to wonder what revelations may emerge after the election if he wins.

Maybe that he was looking for the FF nomination in Dundalk for the last election?? Oops should not have said that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Furthermore Martin McGuinness has devoted his life to the cause of improving the plight of the people in Northern Ireland and he has made enormous strides to this end. He is also humble and still lives in the same area he grew up in.

Sean Gallagher on the other hand was a nobody in terms of his public profile and exposure. I only recognised him after he got the gig on Dragon's Den which was what about 3 years ago max and only actually knew his name when the Presidential Campaign started gaining momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I honestly have to say that Im surprised to hear you, Sierra Oscar, someone who really does honestly know their politics (imo), to say something like "John Hume - who had to bring Gerry Adams and his crew kicking and screaming to the negotiation table to begin with".

You know very very well that the whole thing was kicked off in the late 80s with talks between John Hume and Gerry Adams. No-one was dragged kicking and screaming to the negotiation table.
    As were Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael the SDLP and in particular John Hume - who had to bring Gerry Adams and his crew kicking and screaming to the negotiation table to begin with. Don't be deluded in thinking that McGuinness brought about peace in Ireland solely by himself. He or his party/paramilitary did not even initialize the process and actively attempted to undermine it for many years.

maccored wrote: »
    I honestly have to say that Im surprised to hear you, Sierra Oscar, someone who really does honestly know their politics (imo), to say something like "John Hume - who had to bring Gerry Adams and his crew kicking and screaming to the negotiation table to begin with".

You know very very well that the whole thing was kicked off in the late 80s with talks between John Hume and Gerry Adams. No-one was dragged kicking and screaming to the negotiation table.

OK, obviously an exaggeration. However it was John Hume and the SDLP who pioneered the principle of consent in regards achieving a United Ireland - something which took Gerry Adams a hell of a long time to accept. It was also the SDLP that put in the spadework in regards tackling the social inequalities which existed in Northern Ireland whilst others focused single handily on promoting violence.

Yet one would be lead to believe that SF brought about peace in Ireland single handedly with the spiel that some members of SF come out with - who obviously have not studied the history of the troubles objectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

question: can an irish president pardon people like presidents in other countries? Wouldnt like to see President Gallagher pardoning some FF banker/developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

my personal recollection of that time was John Hume being villified in every newspaper in the north for talking to Gerry Adams about the future of the north. It didnt take them a long time to accept it as, really, SF were involved at the very initial stages. The Humes Adams talks were the basics that the governments went on to work with in the early 90s.

OK, obviously an exaggeration. However it was John Hume and the SDLP who pioneered the principle of consent in regards achieving a United Ireland - something which took Gerry Adams a hell of a long time to accept. It was also the SDLP that put in the spadework in regards tackling the social inequalities which existed in Northern Ireland whilst others focused single handily on promoting violence.

Yet one would be lead to believe that SF brought about peace in Ireland single handedly with the spiel that some members of SF come out with - who obviously have not studied the history of the troubles objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The reason people are choosing a bluffer like Gallagher is they won't face certain realities.
    One of them being that the whole FF-FG-British Gov. love affair with Hume is just that, a romantic notion promulgated because they couldn't stomach admitting who the real brokers of the peace where.
    Hume brought many things to the table but was unable to deliver them. The Unionists and Whitehall played with him. Remember 'Out, Out, Out,?:rolleyes:
    The 'principle of consent' was not his idea alone, either and he was sidelined by the time the GFA came around. The party is now almost irrelevant.

maccored wrote: »
    my personal recollection of that time was John Hume being villified in every newspaper in the north for talking to Gerry Adams about the future of the north. It didnt take them a long time to accept it as, really, SF were involved at the very initial stages. The Humes Adams talks were the basics that the governments went on to work with in the early 90s.

The British were in secret negotiations with Adams at the time too. Everyone wanted to talk to Adams! Wonder why that was? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The reason people are choosing a bluffer like Gallagher is they won't face certain realities.
    One of them being that the whole FF-FG-British Gov. love affair with Hume is just that, a romantic notion promulgated because they couldn't stomach admitting who the real brokers of the peace where.
    Hume brought many things to the table but was unable to deliver them. The Unionists and Whitehall played with him. Remember 'Out, Out, Out,?:rolleyes:
    The 'principle of consent' was not his idea alone, either and he was sidelined by the time the GFA came around. The party is now almost irrelevant.
    Wow, way about going to write the most important man in the peace process out of history and IMO the ONLY one deserving of the Noble peace prize.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Wow, way about going to write the most important man in the peace process out of history and IMO the ONLY one deserving of the Noble peace prize.

Absolutely not writing him out, he had a role, like lots of others. But he wasn't one of the big power brokers. I'm just saying be careful who writes your history. Don't you know anything about the bull**** that goes on in nominating for the Nobel? It's a great big political sham of a prize.

Just look at who was nominated alongside him. A few wet weeks before, Trimble was dangerously and provocatively strutting around triumphantly rubbing the Nationalist noses in it after Garvaghy Road ffs! Get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

question: can an irish president pardon people like presidents in other countries? Wouldnt like to see President Gallagher pardoning some FF banker/developer.

Or McGun, but that's off-topic.

Bottom line is that I've only one option that I want to / could stomach voting for, and will probably be adding Mitchell as a #2 just to do my bit to ensure that the other 5 unsuitables have some obstacle in their way.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Is Gallagher in better physical condition than all the other candidates? Is that the sole criteria on which the selection of a president should be based?

Colours wrote: »
    Can you honestly say that the self aggrandizing achievements of Mr Gallagher trump those of Martin McGuiness??
    I know, it’s ridiculous. I mean, how many murders is Gallagher directly or indirectly responsible for?!? Do we really want a president who doesn’t have blood on his hands?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

people liked him on dragon's den.

to be honest the way I see it is he is a businessman and an entrepreneur and what is the main aim of any businessman, to make profit.
    it's just a new business venture for him, just because he supposedly is already making a heap of money wouldn't stop him trying to get a high paid job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

heyjude wrote: »

As a former Fiana Fail voter I wouldn't touch Gallagher with a barge poll. I am not ashamed to admit having voted for them in the past - I wont lie about it like Gallagher. I lost faith in their policies long before he did. Former Fianna Fail voters are voting for a wide range of candidates - dont lump them all together. I am voting for Higgins and McGuinness - and I reckon thats where a lot of the FF voters from 2002 and 2007 are going. Gallagher is getting the ageist Dragons Den fans:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

xclw wrote: »
    people liked him on dragon's den.

to be honest the way I see it is he is a businessman and an entrepreneur and what is the main aim of any businessman, to make profit.
    it's just a new business venture for him, just because he supposedly is already making a heap of money wouldn't stop him trying to get a high paid job..
    Free holidays and more investments for his businesses,the foot hold in the door he is out for himself.Places he couldnt get into before get in through using Irish presidency.
    I asked this before does he own that earn from home **** that robs Irish people at 350 euro a go for the packs and hope you make something from it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A Dragon's Den judge to be President of Ireland?? Are some people gone cracked altogether. Wouldn't vote for this spoofer even if he was the only one in the poll.
    How much of the money he promised to invest did he actually hand over ?

In other words did he put his money where his mouth was ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LOL

Just imagine if MMG could hand out pardons ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Gallagher just dropped back to 20%
    Wonder who the bandwagon will follow now??? ;)

If you go into the past you'll see that labour, ff & fg all have illegal paramilitary organisation links.
    Please list any murders carried out by any member of those parties since the end of the civil war. Please list any paramilitary convictions held by any current member of those parties ( excluding of course any persons who were in SF at any time )

But SF have stayed static even longer. Gerry has been vice president since the 1970's. Martin was fairly high up in the IRA back then. There is/was a large overlap in the supporters of both organisations.

People treat FF as a party that doesn't change, Dessie O'Malley had principles and left. Since then the rot that set in with CJ still hasn't been cleared out.

People treat FF as a party that doesn't change, Dessie O'Malley had principles and left. Since then the rot that set in with CJ still hasn't been cleared out.

And Dessie left and formed the PD's
    Which went on to equal if not surpass FF for corruption,greed and cronyism.
    Thank God they got their come-uppance and got wiped off the face of Irish politics.
    Yes, the party Dessie founded. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

washman3 wrote: »
    Gallagher just dropped back to 20%
    Wonder who the bandwagon will follow now??? ;)

Norris is looking good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Norris is looking good again.

Emm not particularly old chap! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

A bit of a collapse tonight on the debate in my opinion.... you can be coached on a few things.. body language was a disaster if you ask me.

I presume by "corruption, greed and cronyism" you mean "espousing ideologies I did not agree with"?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I presume by "corruption, greed and cronyism" you mean "espousing ideologies I did not agree with"?

you pressume correctly.!
    The PD's are as much to blame for our economic mess as the FF/Green coalition, but unlike the naive Greens they saw the killer blow coming and got out in time. Fooled nobody though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

struggling in my support for sg .Its not the cheque its the way he wriggled out of it after being tutored during the break.
    BUT I still like his mantra and businesslike approach. Does that make me naive. I think it is unfortunate that tonights debate and Pats attacks were all dictated by the polls.The higher you were in the polls the more grief you got . Not RTEs finest hour.

Would want to be a bit stupid to vote Gallagher as President if tonight's Frontline debate is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Would want to be a bit retarded to vote Gallagher as President if tonight's Frontline debate is anything to go by.

Cascarino scores for Ireland one last time!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

sure mitchell, dana and maryD have to be grouped together in the "i just wanted 3 months of my life" category?

Thankfully SG seems to finally have slipped up - reckon he'd give Teflon a run for its money!

MDH at least understands what the presidency is about but Norris was good tonight too... reckon it MMG's blindsided mugging that stole the show - even over Gay's tantrum...

Would want to be a bit retarded to vote Gallagher as President if tonight's Frontline debate is anything to go by.

at the risk of being pc I think thats a disgraceful comment.You could have put that better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

at the risk of being pc I think thats a disgraceful comment.You could have put that better

*changed

*changed

fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Has anyone been keeping track of how many likes Gallagher has on facebook? I'd swear it's gone up a few hundred since the debate.

Currently 38,116

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Crooked as the party he's a member of. How anyone votes for him I'll never know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement