Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best since John Lennon?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

Spacedog wrote: »

You takin the piss obviously? Copy or whatever most of Noel is not copied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

to compare him to john lennon is a joke, his lyrics are ****e in fairness and you only have to learn about 5 basic chords to play any of his songs. lennon was a visionary, wrote music that was light years ahead of its time. i am the walrus to this day sounds like something from another planet. his music sounds like no one elses. noel has basically tried to imitate the beatles sound and image his whole career, and is a long long way off the mark. the start of dont look back in anger is just completely riped off imagine for example. and how about this lyrical gem

And she makes me laugh
    I got her autograph
    She done it with a doctor
    On a helicopter
    She's sniffin' in her tissue
    Sellin' the big issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

he's actually a nice guy behind the fake bad boy image put on to sell more records for Oasis and Blur.
    here's him being himself with uncle gaybo...

Lennon he ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

John Lennon wasn't "all that".

Lennon & McCartney were incredible, but on their own they're each only about 40% compared to the 100% they were as a duo.

• Advertisement

Ah come on lads. I think he is a dickhead in fairness. Never said he was as good as john lennon but he is the best artist in the last 20 years. Some of the lyrics to some of his songs are prety poor but most of them are genius and his song writing in general is better than a lot of the **** that came out last 20 years. Personally I think eminem is the best song writer and I aint a rap fan either but the fact that Noels songs have the catchy edge I think he is the best.

Whats the craic with no dance thread on this forum?

iMax wrote: »
    John Lennon wasn't "all that".

Lennon & McCartney were incredible, but on their own they're each only about 40% compared to the 100% they were as a duo.
    songs like 'i am the walrus', 'revolution', 'strawberry fields forever',and 'hide your love away' although credited to lennon/maccartney, are really just lennon songs, lennon has stated maccartney had very little to do with them. they were 100% lennon. in fact most of the beatles more experimental stuff was solely lennon, compared to maccartneys more ballady stuff

yomamma wrote: »
    Ah come on lads. I think he is a dickhead in fairness. Never said he was as good as john lennon but he is the best artist in the last 20 years. Some of the lyrics to some of his songs are prety poor but most of them are genius and his song writing in general is better than a lot of the **** that came out last 20 years. Personally I think eminem is the best song writer and I aint a rap fan either but the fact that Noels songs have the catchy edge I think he is the best.
    seriously, just step back from oasis's songs for a minute and really listen to them. some of them are catchy alright and have the big singalong choruses but there lyrically rubbish and musicaly one dimensional. the best artist of the last 20 years??????? not a chance. listen to radiohead if you want to hear someone who has actually pushed the boundries musically, taken chances, and continually evolved their sound. they are the beatles of our time, and 50 years from now we will still be talking about them

WinstonOno wrote: »
    seriously, just step back from oasis's songs for a minute and really listen to them. some of them are catchy alright and have the big singalong choruses but there lyrically rubbish and musicaly one dimensional. the best artist of the last 20 years??????? not a chance. listen to radiohead if you want to hear someone who has actually pushed the boundries musically, taken chances, and continually evolved their sound. they are the beatles of our time, and 50 years from now we will still be talking about them

Radiohead would be one be one of my favs as well still not as good as noel though.Not gonna argue. Radiohead a bit depressing, Noel a bit mor possitive thats why Id pick Noel. Radiohead lyrics are great. My personal view Noels are better, catchier and more uplifting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 CJL

I`m with iMax. Once Lennon and McCartney went their seperate ways, the magic was over. Remember Wings?! Oh dear God.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

No he's not the best songwriter since John Lennon and to be fair post Beatles Lennon never revisited his peak era of "Tomorrow Never Knows","I Am The Walrus", "Strawberry Fields" the list goes on and on and on! That's not to say his solo material wasn't good, "Nobody Told Me","Cold Turkey","Instant Karma" are all terrific songs.
    Personally I think stating one artist is better than an other is very like the old playground statement of "my da would kick the ball higher than your da", it's all down to personal preference and taste.
    I like Noel, he's a good songwriter who wrote songs that were some of the biggest hits of the 90's but he never progressed past that. The likes of Albarn(Blur) or Yorke(Radiohead) have left him for dust over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The best since John Lennon? Not even close, he can crack out a decent tune but he's stuck in the past and always will be. Kind of like his idol Paul Weller really. Like Gibzilla said, the likes of Damon Albaran and Thom Yorke have left him for dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Feck me, that acoustic version of Rock n' Roll star is excellent. never heard it before.

He's not the best since John lennon but he is one of many that have made great music since Lennon.

I'm a fan of alot of different music, different bands, etc. I enjoy what Radiohead do. I love how Albarn keeps trying different things, etc. But I also enjoy the, catchy, retro rock n roll style songs Noel produces.

He's a huge music fan and enjoys writing songs based around his influences. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The guy has an ear for a tune, he's got a great voice, he likes to indulge the music of the 60's, 70's and Madchester scene and he releases straight forward rock n roll tunes.

I would sometimes like to see him push himself further, maybe working with other producers. Some of the remixes (especially on the last Oasis album) are better than the orginal album versions.

In regards to Weller. He's definitely coming out of his comfort zone with his last 2 albums and the results have been excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Is this thread really happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

George Harrison was the Beatle who had the most impressive solo career anyway.

The people who have in this thread suggested Oasis were a rip-off of the Beatles obviously haven't listened to both the Beatles and Oasis because there's very few similarities apart from the obvious stuff Noel used tongue in cheek.

Oasis and in particular Noel Gallagher have dominated music since 1994, Radiohead are half forgotten in their own time so there's no hope they will be remembered more fondly. Richard Ashcroft was also an excellent songwriter when he paid attention to what he was doing but in terms of influence the best since the Beatles is easily Noel Gallagher. The best modern alternative guitar bands (Kasabian, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys) have all sighted Defintely Maybe as their biggest influence on them joining a band and picking up a guitar in the first place which is always a measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Dotsey wrote: »
    George Harrison was the Beatle who had the most impressive solo career anyway.

The people who have in this thread suggested Oasis were a rip-off of the Beatles obviously haven't listened to both the Beatles and Oasis because there's very few similarities apart from the obvious stuff Noel used tongue in cheek.

Oasis and in particular Noel Gallagher have dominated music since 1994, Radiohead are half forgotten in their own time so there's no hope they will be remembered more fondly. Richard Ashcroft was also an excellent songwriter when he paid attention to what he was doing but in terms of influence the best since the Beatles is easily Noel Gallagher. The best modern alternative guitar bands (Kasabian, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys) have all sighted Defintely Maybe as their biggest influence on them joining a band and picking up a guitar in the first place which is always a measure

Since when are Radiohead half forgotten?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

The best since John Lennon? Not even close, he can crack out a decent tune but he's stuck in the past and always will be. Kind of like his idol Paul Weller really. Like Gibzilla said, the likes of Damon Albaran and Thom Yorke have left him for dead.

I believe you got your words mixed up here, listening to thom yorke would make you want to be dead. the musical version of sylvia plath, utterly depressing, the exact opposite of what music is supposed to be in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Alex Turner from the Arctic Monkeys (and Last Shadow Puppets too I guess its worth pointing out) is going to be the closest thing to him.
    The kid is a genius. Lyrics are not just lyrics that are put together to put a song out or to fill and album, everything he puts into it is intelligent and intricate and sometimes extremely witty. I think a lot of people can relate to his stuff.

Here's a quote for him for the craic.... "A lot of people make jokes about having awards for no reason just for the sake of having awards, and pretending they were good when they weren't. I'm not old enough to know a lot of them, but even I know Take That were bollocks" :)

Huge Weller fan too, love him. He never stops, always writing, always trying to out do himself. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

noel has basically tried to imitate the beatles sound and image his whole career

I think you are confusing Noel with Liam. Noel has a bit more of Kinks, T-Rex or arguably, when writing songs for Liam, Sex Pistols vibe going on. I think people who blithely say Oasis were trying to be The Beatles for nearly twenty years, and now Beady Eye/NGHFB are doing the same thing are doing considered opinions a great discourtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

al28283 wrote: »
    Since when are Radiohead half forgotten?:confused:

Well they didn't go to #1 anywhere with their last album. Granted, they will probably still sell the large majority of tickets for whatever shows they eventually announce next year.

oasis sound like sex pistols???? radiohead are half forgotten and wont be remembered???? my god. kasabian, libertines and artic monkeys are poor bands imo, completely overhyped by nme and the likes to sell magazines, if anything it highlights how starved we are of good guitar bands with an original sound in the noughties, to me all are extremely average. the monkeys had one good album and have been bland ever since, including turners lyrics which are now pretty daft. libertines were just a mess, and all kasiabian songs blend into one. oasis are a glorified pub band. if ya want to go out, drink a few beers and shout along to a few simple words, listen to oasis. if ya want something a bit deeper, radiohead is the way. and as for the guy who judges a good album by it getting to number one, enjoy your susan boyle and beyonce albums

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

oasis sound like sex pistols???? radiohead are half forgotten and wont be remembered???? my god. kasabian, libertines and artic monkeys are poor bands imo, completely overhyped by nme and the likes to sell magazines, if anything it highlights how starved we are of good guitar bands with an original sound in the noughties, to me all are extremely average. the monkeys had one good album and have been bland ever since, including turners lyrics which are now pretty daft. libertines were just a mess, and all kasiabian songs blend into one. oasis are a glorified pub band. if ya want to go out, drink a few beers and shout along to a few simple words, listen to oasis. if ya want something a bit deeper, radiohead is the way. and as for the guy who judges a good album by it getting to number one, enjoy your susan boyle and beyonce albums

Arctic Monkeys second album, favourite worst nightmare, is their best.
    Kasabian in my opinion are ****e, Libertines may have been a mess but you can't deny they were talented.
    As for Radiohead, terribly over rated, depressing and boring. Would rather have my ears cut off than listen to that tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

listen. i don't want to come off as a horrible person here or whatever so let me tell you first i mean no disrespect but... there's a lot of music out there. a lifetime's worth and more. we can't possibly listen to all of it but saying noel's the best of the last twenty years is just crazy. he's had some good stuff, yeah but... there's so much better out there. just because it mightn't be mainstream (beatles, oasis and radiohead are all mainstream) - actually scratch that, there's been much better artists in the last twenty years who are mainstream who are still better than him - but a lot of obscure stuff is also a lot better. you just need to know where to look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Well they didn't go to #1 anywhere with their last album. Granted, they will probably still sell the large majority of tickets for whatever shows they eventually announce next year.

radiohead don't care about being number one. they've already been the best band in the world in about three different eras (ok computer; kid a; in rainbows give or take a few million people's opinions). they're just having fun doing what they're doing i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Doherty's lyrics and music is some of the best to ever come out of Britain. The lyrics seem to be real, honest, simple, yet clever. Plus I love the music too! :D

In the morning where does the all the pain (go)?
    Same place the fame (goes)
    Straight to your head
    Ahh it’s not easy
    Getting it out my head
    It wasn't easy
    Getting out my bed (Alt. version: Getting what you said)

So much shame on the workman who blames his tools
    Then so the saying goes so its said
    The way you tease me, tease me outta my head
    It's not easy forgettin what you said
    I know you used to be into me
    Now you've got it in for me

In the morning where does all the pain (go)?
    Straight to your head
    It wasn't easy
    Gettin you outta my head
    Ah, it's to easy gettin out my head (Alt. version: Getting out my bed)
    (I'm) giving up trying to explain (Alt. version: And girl I'm trying to explain)
    I'll just put it in a song instead
    Ah, it's not easy
    Gettin outta bed (Alt. version: Getting them out your bed)
    Ah, its too easy
    Gettin outta my head

(Alt version:
    Don’t you think about what they said
    The way they tease me
    Those notes about what you said
    They said, "you two were meant to be"
    And so it was meant to be)

I know where to find, where to find you my love

At the same old place by the river, the only way in was
    through the window, was through the window

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Personally I think eminem is the best song writer
    LOL...did you know "Hi! My Name Is..." is basically constructed around a 1970's Chas and Dave sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    thom yorke would make you want to be dead. the musical version of sylvia plath,
    No, that would be Judee Sill. Dead now, strangely enough.
    Peep O'Day wrote: »
    utterly depressing, the exact opposite of what music is supposed to be in my opinion
    Well, that's me throwing out my entire Pink Floyd and Blind Lemon collection and stocking up on Steps and S-Club-7 CDs.

Doherty's lyrics and music is some of the best to ever come out of Britain. The lyrics seem to be real, honest, simple, yet clever. Plus I love the music too! :D

In the morning where does the all the pain (go)?
    Straight to your head
    Ahh it’s not easy
    Getting it out my head
    It wasn't easy
    Getting out my bed (Alt. version: Getting what you said)

So much shame on the workman who blames his tools
    Then so the saying goes so its said
    The way you tease me, tease me outta my head
    It's not easy forgettin what you said
    I know you used to be into me
    Now you've got it in for me

In the morning where does all the pain (go)?
    Straight to your head
    It wasn't easy
    Gettin you outta my head
    Ah, it's to easy gettin out my head (Alt. version: Getting out my bed)
    (I'm) giving up trying to explain (Alt. version: And girl I'm trying to explain)
    I'll just put it in a song instead
    Ah, it's not easy
    Gettin outta bed (Alt. version: Getting them out your bed)
    Ah, its too easy
    Gettin outta my head

(Alt version:
    Don’t you think about what they said
    The way they tease me
    Those notes about what you said
    They said, "you two were meant to be"
    And so it was meant to be)

I know where to find, where to find you my love

At the same old place by the river, the only way in was
    through the window, was through the window

they had a coupla good tunes, but so so much ****e aswel. again nme raved bout how 'talented' he is and what a 'genius' he is but i just dont see it. as someone said there are hundreds of better song writers out there who dont play the media game and as a result arent as well known. almost all his songs are about drugs, england, or that model one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

No.

Advertisement