Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best since John Lennon?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

WinstonOno wrote: »
    they had a coupla good tunes, but so so much ****e aswel. again nme raved bout how 'talented' he is and what a 'genius' he is but i just dont see it. as someone said there are hundreds of better song writers out there who dont play the media game and as a result arent as well known. almost all his songs are about drugs, england, or that model one

I think between the Libertines, Babyshambles and his own solo album that there has been much more than a couple, but I have become hooked! :D

As for playing the media game, maybe it's in that song I quoted:
    In the morning where does the all the pain (go)?
    Same place the fame (goes)
    Straight to your head

I think that drugs, England and Kate Moss are his life pretty much!

I get the impression that he is intelligent, but often his behavior indicates otherwise! He does stupid and irresponsible things, I'm not sure how much of that related to his intelligence, the drugs, or just a selfish attitude.

He seems to be aware enough of his actions; I think he just loves drugs and even all the drama that goes with it!
    If you get tired of just hanging around
    Pick up a guitar and spin a web of sound
    And then you could be strung out all day
    With lovers and clowns
    But now I find myself hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

If we are having a best "solo lad singing with a guitar" debate, my contribution is....

Bill f**king Callahan.

3 Chords in a cab....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

oasis sound like sex pistols???? radiohead are half forgotten and wont be remembered???? my god. kasabian, libertines and artic monkeys are poor bands imo, completely overhyped by nme and the likes to sell magazines, if anything it highlights how starved we are of good guitar bands with an original sound in the noughties, to me all are extremely average. the monkeys had one good album and have been bland ever since, including turners lyrics which are now pretty daft. libertines were just a mess, and all kasiabian songs blend into one. oasis are a glorified pub band. if ya want to go out, drink a few beers and shout along to a few simple words, listen to oasis. if ya want something a bit deeper, radiohead is the way. and as for the guy who judges a good album by it getting to number one, enjoy your susan boyle and beyonce albums

Yes, sound like the Sex Pistols. Fade Away being an example. John Lydon has also said that Liam Gallagher reminds him of himself (even if he is a bad impersonator at that!).

Arctic Monkeys don't have one good album. Even for an opinion, that is just wrong (!).

"Cut the kids in half." Yeah, Thom Yorke's lyrics are profound. It sounds like you listen to Radiohead for the wrong reason. You wish to sound intelligent, and obviously fail miserably.

You dismissed the claim that Radiohead would be forgotten in years to come, and I pointed out that they couldn't buy a #1 album at the moment, with the suggestion that they are already being forgotten about. I never claimed album sales were a sign of quality music. You should try harder to actually follow threads, little man.

radiohead don't care about being number one. they've already been the best band in the world in about three different eras (ok computer; kid a; in rainbows give or take a few million people's opinions). they're just having fun doing what they're doing i suppose.

The conversation was about whether they had been forgotten, or not. I said that they were already starting to lose favour with their fans, and that lower album sales would suggest that this is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

Yes, sound like the Sex Pistols. Fade Away being an example. John Lydon has also said that Liam Gallagher reminds him of himself (even if he is a bad impersonator at that!).

Arctic Monkeys don't have one good album. Even for an opinion, that is just wrong (!).

"Cut the kids in half." Yeah, Thom Yorke's lyrics are profound. It sounds like you listen to Radiohead for the wrong reason. You wish to sound intelligent, and obviously fail miserably.

You dismissed the claim that Radiohead would be forgotten in years to come, and I pointed out that they couldn't buy a #1 album at the moment, with the suggestion that they are already being forgotten about. I never claimed album sales were a sign of quality music. You should try harder to actually follow threads, little man.
    sex pistols were a punk band, oasis are a pop rock band, there is no comparison. read what i said about arctic monkeys again smart man, i didnt say they dont have a good album. how listening to radiohead makes me smarter ill never know??? album sales do not constitute good music. neutral milk hotel's album 'in an airoplane over the sea' sold feck all, does that mean its a crap record??? stupid point. and while we're on the point, radiohead sell far more than oasis worldwide. fact. although its doesnt really matter, radiohead albums are constantly at the top of 'greatest albums of all time' lists and winning awards. oasis are no where to be seen.

• Advertisement

sex pistols were a punk band, oasis are a pop rock band, there is no comparison. read what i said about arctic monkeys again smart man, i didnt say they dont have a good album. how listening to radiohead makes me smarter ill never know??? album sales do not constitute good music. neutral milk hotel's album 'in an airoplane over the sea' sold feck all, does that mean its a crap record??? stupid point. and while we're on the point, radiohead sell far more than oasis worldwide. fact. although its doesnt really matter, radiohead albums are constantly at the top of 'greatest albums of all time' lists and winning awards. oasis are no where to be seen.

Do you work? Paid work, I mean?

Do you work? Paid work, I mean.

i work 2 jobs, one in a prominent live music venue, what does that matter anyways???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

The conversation was about whether they had been forgotten, or not. I said that they were already starting to lose favour with their fans, and that lower album sales would suggest that this is correct.

don't much matter. they knew it wouldn't be their most immediate album and if that's true, that wouldn't get very much radio plays. their only advertising ground was literally the band's brand name itself. but they don't care. plus if people aren't buying it, they've probably downloaded it and discarded it

i work 2 jobs, one in a prominent live music venue, what does that matter anyways???

Just curious.

• Advertisement

don't much matter. they knew it wouldn't be their most immediate album and if that's true, that wouldn't get very much radio plays. their only advertising ground was literally the band's brand name itself. but they don't care. plus if people aren't buying it, they've probably downloaded it and discarded it

Do much matter. What I have argued uses logic. End of this portion of the discussion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ANTWON

I think the question here is what makes a songwriter truly great? Is it the lyrics or the melody and my opinion its the melody. What good are great lyrics if they dont have a great melody. Noel Gallagher is a genius when it comes to melodies even though his lyrics are mostly bad his catchy melodies are what makes his songs memorable. 'The dreams we have as children Fade away' means more to me than' Two jumps in a week I bet you think your pretty clever dont you boy'. Noel Gallagher may not be lyrical great most of the time but his melodical sense more than makes up for it.

ANTWON wrote: »
    I think the question here is what makes a songwriter truly great? Is it the lyrics or the melody and my opinion its the melody. What good are great lyrics if they dont have a great melody. Noel Gallagher is a genius when it comes to melodies even though his lyrics are mostly bad his catchy melodies are what makes his songs memorable. 'The dreams we have as children Fade away' means more to me than' Two jumps in a week I bet you think your pretty clever dont you boy'. Noel Gallagher may not be lyrical great most of the time but his melodical sense more than makes up for it.
    wouldn't agree with this at all. katy perry, lady gaga, britney, all can write catchy songs(or get someone to write them for them anyways). for me a song has got to have depth. catchy is grand for a few listens but gets boring, and then annoying quite quickly. i was the same as most in that i was mad into oasis back in the day, but i just got bored of them, there was nothing in their music i could relate to, it just sounded like a whole bunch of empty words, sounded good but had nothing behind them. to me, they were just words for having the sake of something to sing. nowadays im looking for an emotional attachment to a song. something i can relate to, a singer who pours his life into his words. for me, radiohead capture the world we now live in, damaged, scary, isolated, advanced, but still strangely beautiful. its not the same for everyone i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

You made some good points there Winston. But sometimes do you not like something easy/catchy/melodic on the ear?

wouldn't agree with this at all. katy perry, lady gaga, britney, all can write catchy songs(or get someone to write them for them anyways). for me a song has got to have depth. catchy is grand for a few listens but gets boring, and then annoying quite quickly. i was the same as most in that i was mad into oasis back in the day, but i just got bored of them, there was nothing in their music i could relate to, it just sounded like a whole bunch of empty words, sounded good but had nothing behind them. to me, they were just words for having the sake of something to sing. nowadays im looking for an emotional attachment to a song. something i can relate to, a singer who pours his life into his words. for me, radiohead capture the world we now live in, damaged, scary, isolated, advanced, but still strangely beautiful. its not the same for everyone i know.

Not all Oasis lyrics are meaningless though. Meaning is in the mind of the listener, whatever Noel Gallagher might say.

for once i agree with ya on this point, different strokes for different folks, thats the beauty of music i guess

oasis still ****e tho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Not all Oasis lyrics are meaningless though. Meaning is in the mind of the listener, whatever Noel Gallagher might say.

Interpretation is in the mind of the listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

King Solomon...

Kold wrote: »
    King Solomon...

That doesn't make it profound though. My God, there truly is no hope whatsoever for any post-OK Computer Radiohead fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

the start of dont look back in anger is just completely riped off imagine for example.

C to F, C to F. In 4/4 time.

How dare he rob that unique combo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

What I have argued uses logic.
    "Cut the kids in half." Yeah, Thom Yorke's lyrics are profound.
    That doesn't make it profound though.
    Meaning is in the mind of the listener
    For someone who is proud of their skilled employment of logic, your arguments throughout this thread are very inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

noel gallagher wasnt the the best songwriter of the britpop era, let alone the last 20 years. albarn was and is still one of the best out there. he'd give lennon a run for his money, but the gap between lennon and gallagher is near incomprehendable

32_4_1 wrote: »
    noel gallagher wasnt the the best songwriter of the britpop era, let alone the last 20 years. albarn was and is still is one of the best out there. he'd give lennon a run for his money, but the gap between lennon and gallagher is near incomprehendable

“I consider Noel to be the finest songwriter of his generation.” (George Martin)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin and Gary Barlow are the best songwriters this past 20 years has produced.

But here's the person I believe is the best since Lennon.

Personally, I would say Thom Yorke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

karaokeman wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin and Gary Barlow are the best songwriters this past 20 years has produced.

But here's the person I believe is the best since Lennon.

Ray Heffernan, Robbie Williams or Guy Chambers?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

“I consider Noel to be the finest songwriter of his generation.” (George Martin)

whats your point? that george martin also has an opinion? imagine that

32_4_1 wrote: »
    whats your point? that george martin also has an opinion? imagine that

Your quote reminded me of his. Also, I would respect his opinion on music over yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Sinfonia wrote: »

Maybe he means there's someone good in the audience?

• Advertisement

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Sinfonia wrote: »

Maybe he means there's someone good in the audience?

hehehe.

Advertisement